Rooting and Rom's For Dummies.

msuperbauer

Reaction score
Is there one? I want to root, don't understand what all these different ROMs are, looking for the easiest explination.. I want to root for the Wifi tethering and I have an imac vs PC.. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance! :motdroidvert:

Is there one? I want to root, don't understand what all these different ROMs are, looking for the easiest explination.. I want to root for the Wifi tethering and I have an imac vs PC.. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance! :motdroidvert:
Well Im not sure what ROM you need, but youll need z4 and a bootstrapper, i have a little tutorial for darkslide, but it has the info for z4 and bootstrap which would be useful, you can try darkslide too if you want, it has the wifi tether, not sure about imac vs pc

link is here

if it helps, great, if not, sorry

A rom is read only memory. Its basically changing your os to a different style, your menus, dialer, everything about your phone will be somewhat different but a lot better most of the time. Some roms are more for speed, some roms are more for looks, but they all are an improvement over stock in my opinion.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

2 basic types of ROMs for X. Blur and Blurless. Blur still has stock motoblur apps/widgets, but more efficient. Bluless has zero stock motoblur. These are AOSP like ROMs and are built from Google source code.

So i was going to use this thread ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/110658-how-root-droid-x-worked-me.html. ) for rooting but then how do i get the different rooms? Wll it he easy to switch them? I also have an i ac not a regular pc.. And lastly how hard will it be to return my phone to normal? thank you all for your help so far, i just have like no extra time to do all the searching, and i wanted to root..

Check out my signature... I have videos on rooting, bootstrapper, how to flash ROM's and even reviews of current ROM's.

Check out my signature... I have videos on rooting, bootstrapper, how to flash ROM's and even reviews of current ROM's.

Very COol, THank you!! My next question is this, How can I unroot my phone? Say if I break it and need to swap it out for a new one, etc.. Also, do you have any videos on how to actually get new roms? Is it the same as what we did for the root? Can I get new ROMS with our my computer? THank you!! :icon_ banana:

If you use z4 just click unroot. Secondly there is an app called ROM manager which I am not terribly familiar with. 85% of the hang ups I get from my site come from people using it so I stick with the traditional method.

Just download it to your desktop drag and drop it on to the root of the sd card and install it from bootstrapper. My channel on youtube has step by step instructions on how to flash a ROM.

If you use z4 just click unroot. Secondly there is an app called ROM manager which I am not terribly familiar with. 85% of the hang ups I get from my site come from people using it so I stick with the traditional method.

Just download it to your desktop drag and drop it on to the root of the sd card and install it from bootstrapper. My channel on youtube has step by step instructions on how to flash a ROM.

Helo, I just did the Z4 root (off your youtube video) Very easy btw, THANK YOU!! Secondly, I went to your second vid (to flash over custom ROMs and such, paid and downloaded the verizon boot strapper ap, followed your instructions to click on "boot Strap recovery, got the "success" pop u, Then went to the "reboot recovery" saw the Motorola "M" like your phone in the vid, then when your phone went to that list of stuff, mine went to a yellow triangle with an exclamation in it with a little green droid next to it?!?! And froze there?? I was able to frantically push a few buttons and get to the rebook menu and reboot it.. Phones fine so I tried it again and got the same result?? Please advise.

That is the stock recovery screen. That is the first I have heard of that. Try wiping cache from within that screen rebooting and doing it again. If that doesn't work I would uninstall bootstrapper and really install. Please let me know what happens.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

That is the stock recovery screen. That is the first I have heard of that. Try wiping cache from within that screen rebooting and doing it again. If that doesn't work I would uninstall bootstrapper and really install. Please let me know what happens.

Re-install not really install. Sorry.

did both suggestions, same result? says "E:can't open /Cache/recovery/command"

Can you factory reset from that screen? Are you sure you have root? I'm stumped here. I would unroot,make sure you have all contacts backed up with Google factory reset and start over.

Can you factory reset from that screen? Are you sure you have root? I'm stumped here. I would unroot,make sure you have all contacts backed up with Google factory reset and start over.

I downloaded and have used the "wifi tether ap" Would that work with out root?

Back