rubiX Focused on .340 OTA

.340 update

I'm having a problem with the update. I was on Rubix 1.9 focused. I have been rooted for quite a while but was on the original OTA Froyo. I tried to do the over the air update and it kept hanging up and wouldn't install. I then went back to the original ROM and tried the OTA and same thing. I have tried to use the update.zip file from my SD card also but it isn't working either. I'm kinda lost as what to do now. I am not rooted anymore but still show clockmod recovery when I try to reboot. How can I get .340 on my phone?

I'm having a problem with the update. I was on Rubix 1.9 focused. I have been rooted for quite a while but was on the original OTA Froyo. I tried to do the over the air update and it kept hanging up and wouldn't install. I then went back to the original ROM and tried the OTA and same thing. I have tried to use the update.zip file from my SD card also but it isn't working either. I'm kinda lost as what to do now. I am not rooted anymore but still show clockmod recovery when I try to reboot. How can I get .340 on my phone?

Could troubleshoot with you for days. Honestly, .sbf is the cleanest, and sure way to get you back to 2.3.15 so you can take the update.

Don't know how familliar you are with .sbf, so give you the very basics:
--Files are on rootzwiki.com make sure you grab the FULL .sbf, NOT the system .sbf
--Probably not the best guide, but one that works for many people on the process:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/68222-unbricking-your-droid-x.html

Could troubleshoot with you for days. Honestly, .sbf is the cleanest, and sure way to get you back to 2.3.15 so you can take the update.

--Files are on rootzwiki.com make sure you grab the FULL .sbf, NOT the system .sbf
--Probably not the best guide, but one that works for many people on the process:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/68222-unbricking-your-droid-x.html

Ok and after I get .340 on my phone which version of Rubix focused do I want to put back on my phone? Do you know of a for sure root process with the new .340? I truly can't remember the one I used originally anyway.

Ok and after I get .340 on my phone which version of Rubix focused do I want to put back on my phone? Do you know of a for sure root process with the new .340? I truly can't remember the one I used originally anyway.

z4root worked for me... a few people said it didn't work, but rebooting once or twice seems to fix it.. :p

The version of Focused you want is the Focused 1.9 LEAK version (leak version is for 2.3.320/2.3.340).

Has anyone been able to Wireless tether? It connects but my Tablet doesn't seem to connect to the web although it confirms connection w/DX

This is what I did:

-This is my check list (I tried to edit it to make it general).
  • I got the motorola drivers from my phone from the motorola web site. Make sure you get the right drivers for your system (64/32bits)
  • Then I installed the moto SBF software on my pc (Motorola RSD Lite)
  • Reboot -for the drivers to load properly.
  • Download the 2.2 sbf file, unzip it and place it in a directory easy to find
  • Rownload Z4root and place it on your card. It's a good idea to have the DroidX bootstrapper handy as well.
  • Sync your apps with app brain and create a new list as a backup -you can install from there later.
  • Turn phone off, remove batt. Put your phone in bootloader mode (I think this is the correct term) by pressing power+camera+volume up. Plug it to the usb port.
  • Use Motorola RSD Lite to flash 2.2
  • When done, power phone off and remove the battery (the phone will be in a boot loop –don’t panic, well, not yet).
  • Power phone off, remove battery, reinsert battery and reboot in recovery. Press power button+ search and release power button as soon as you see the moto logo.
  • Wipe EVERYTHING -factory reset.
  • Power off, remove battery, reinsert batt and power on.
  • That's it.
  • Set up your phone (so you can use it)
  • I didn't do the google accnt set up just then. I skipped it and setup wifi first.
  • Run Z4Root, root, reboot and that's it. Get BusyBox Installer, and DroidX Bootstrap (and run them). Also Clockwork recovery.
  • At this point make a backup of your rom –just in case.
  • Download the OTA (settings, about phone, check for updates).
  • After you get the OTA, go back to steps 16 and 17 so you have a backup of .340
  • Restart in recovery from Clockwork (make sure you have set it up for the X first)
  • Wipe everything
  • Install rubix 1.9.0 for the leak (2.3.320/2.3.340) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/drod2169-x/102307-rubix-focused-1-9-0-leak-non-leak.html
  • Install Septhin's patch http://www.droidforums.net/forum/drod2169-x/104626-patch-focused-1-9-0-update-2-3-340-a.html
  • Optional: Septhin’s black bar.
  • Optional Donate to Drod and Seph J so they can get their dosage of red bulls and mountain dews, respectively.
Done. Setup your phone -yet again.

Last edited:
Worked for me...
Rubix 1.9.0Leak + Septh's patch & bar.

It has never worked for me if Access Control (AC) is enabled -not on rubix, and not on blurr. Maybe that helps? Also make sure that the app is listed under superuser (twice: tether start 1 & tether stop 1).

Actually, with AC on, I see the same behavior: local connectivity but no WAN.

Has anyone been able to Wireless tether? It connects but my Tablet doesn't seem to connect to the web although it confirms connection w/DX

This is what I did:

-This is my check list (I tried to edit it to make it general).
  • I got the motorola drivers from my phone from the motorola web site. Make sure you get the right drivers for your system (64/32bits)
  • Then I installed the moto SBF software on my pc (Motorola RSD Lite)
  • Reboot -for the drivers to load properly.
  • Download the 2.2 sbf file, unzip it and place it in a directory easy to find
  • Rownload Z4root and place it on your card. It's a good idea to have the DroidX bootstrapper handy as well.
  • Sync your apps with app brain and create a new list as a backup -you can install from there later.
  • Turn phone off, remove batt. Put your phone in bootloader mode (I think this is the correct term) by pressing power+camera+volume up. Plug it to the usb port.
  • Use Motorola RSD Lite to flash 2.2
  • When done, power phone off and remove the battery (the phone will be in a boot loop –don’t panic, well, not yet).
  • Power phone off, remove battery, reinsert battery and reboot in recovery. Press power button+ search and release power button as soon as you see the moto logo.
  • Wipe EVERYTHING -factory reset.
  • Power off, remove battery, reinsert batt and power on.
  • That's it.
  • Set up your phone (so you can use it)
  • I didn't do the google accnt set up just then. I skipped it and setup wifi first.
  • Run Z4Root, root, reboot and that's it. Get BusyBox Installer, and DroidX Bootstrap (and run them). Also Clockwork recovery.
  • At this point make a backup of your rom –just in case.
  • Download the OTA (settings, about phone, check for updates).
  • After you get the OTA, go back to steps 16 and 17 so you have a backup of .340
  • Restart in recovery from Clockwork (make sure you have set it up for the X first)
  • Wipe everything
  • Install rubix 1.9.0 for the leak (2.3.320/2.3.340) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/drod2169-x/102307-rubix-focused-1-9-0-leak-non-leak.html
  • Install Septhin's patch http://www.droidforums.net/forum/drod2169-x/104626-patch-focused-1-9-0-update-2-3-340-a.html
  • Optional: Septhin’s black bar.
  • Optional Donate to Drod and Seph J so they can get their dosage of red bulls and mountain dews, respectively.
Done. Setup your phone -yet again.

Only changes I would make... are the steps from after the .sbf, but before the OTA that include rooting and taking a backup. No point.. once you OTA you can't restore anyway... :p (won't hurt, but not a lot of point to it. ;)

Definitely take a backup after you OTA... very good detailed steps!!!!

Yes you're right... maybe that's why it tool me so long -lol

Only changes I would make... are the steps from after the .sbf, but before the OTA that include rooting and taking a backup. No point.. once you OTA you can't restore anyway... :p (won't hurt, but not a lot of point to it. ;)

Definitely take a backup after you OTA... very good detailed steps!!!!

I have a question for you, :):)

What I want to ask is my phone was at 2.3.15 when I rooted my phone, then I did a back up of my system, then loaded Rubix on it.

So if I just did a cache wipe and data wipe and install my stock system Rom back onto my phone from my SD card would that go out after the OTA update that is out there?

And if it did that would take my to the new .340 update, then load z4root from my SD card and reroot?

Or does this not make any sense at all or am I wrong on this, I am asking because I am really new to this only had my Droid sense this October.

Again thank you all very much for your help!!!!:)

Last edited:
I think it should work -but I'm no expert. Just in case it doesn't, keep a copy of RSD Lite and a SBF of 2.2 -just in case.
Make sure that your stock rom is, well, stock (cityid, kindle, amzn, etc). The cleanest way according to the experts is SBFing.
After the OTA you will (may??) loose root so make sure you have z4root handy on your card as well as the bootstrapper.

I think your idea should work -maybe more experienced users can confirm. I was going to do exactly that but my stock rom backup did not have cityID, so I went the hard way (it took an extra 15-20mins but it is the cleanest way)

Good luck. Post if you have questions -there are a lot of people that know their stuff here and they're willing to help.

What I want to ask is my phone was at 2.3.15 when I rooted my phone, then I did a back up of my system, then loaded Rubix on it.

So if I just did a cache wipe and data wipe and install my stock system Rom back onto my phone from my SD card would that go out after the OTA update that is out there?

And if it did that would take my to the new .340 update, then load z4root from my SD card and reroot?

Or does this not make any sense at all or am I wrong on this, I am asking because I am really new to this only had my Droid sense this October.

Sorry for not answering sooner.. I was kind of hoping to hear from someone that's tried it. I took the easy route and just did the .sbf back to clean stock, and did the OTA...

The reason I'm not sure, is because I think one of the files it checks for, is the logwrapper that gets replaced when installing koush's Droid X Bootstrapper application. If it checks that file, it will fail to install the OTA.
(Looking at the install script for the OTA update, doesn't look like it checks it, so it ***should*** work.. but .. only one way to find out!!! ;)

Let us know! Worst case, is that you have to .sbf to a clean 2.2 build, and then you can certainly take the OTA.

GL!

Sorry for not answering sooner.. I was kind of hoping to hear from someone that's tried it. I took the easy route and just did the .sbf back to clean stock, and did the OTA...

The reason I'm not sure, is because I think one of the files it checks for, is the logwrapper that gets replaced when installing koush's Droid X Bootstrapper application. If it checks that file, it will fail to install the OTA.
(Looking at the install script for the OTA update, doesn't look like it checks it, so it ***should*** work.. but .. only one way to find out!!! ;)

Let us know! Worst case, is that you have to .sbf to a clean 2.2 build, and then you can certainly take the OTA.

GL!

I didn't know about the logwrapper files when I flashed back to my stock backup and un-rooted. I took the OTA and re-rooted w/Z4 w/no problems at all. My phone boots into Clockwork Recovery every time the phone reboots now and I think it has to do w/the logwrapper file. Still trying to do research on it. Just a minor, one button push inconvenience until I can figure out how to fix it.

I didn't know about the logwrapper files when I flashed back to my stock backup and un-rooted. I took the OTA and re-rooted w/Z4 w/no problems at all. My phone boots into Clockwork Recovery every time the phone reboots now and I think it has to do w/the logwrapper file. Still trying to do research on it. Just a minor, one button push inconvenience until I can figure out how to fix it.

Good to know.
I've had to help others with .sbf a few times, because going back to their orig. backup didn't do the trick, and I made the assumption that it was due to logwrapper again (this WAS an issue upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2 via the OTA)....

Regarding booting into recov, try resetting ClockworkMod Recovery via this method once, it should do the trick:
Help I've lost ClockWork recovery, my phone just reboots back into android

GL!

most of what you need can be found here:
My Brain Hurts: Droid X Recovery (and Droid 2 too!)

In particular, you may want to check the permissions on /data/.recovery_mode and/or delete the file.

That file is a "flag' to the logwrapper. If it exists, it boots into recovery. If it doesn't, it continues normal boot. The file itself is empty.

Back