[Rumor] Quad-core Google Nexus Tablet for $199 to be made by Asus?

Although, I don't see ASUS cannibalizing their own Transformer sales by completely undercutting their own branded product for the sake of El Goog. It just doesn't make sense. If Google wants to release their own Nexus tablet, Motorola seems a more likely partner since Moto tablets have been all but non-existent in the sales category.

Agreed. But Asus might be willing to take a loss or lower profits to capitalize on the hype and promotion surrounding the next Google Nexus tablet. The Prime and Transformer are on the cutting edge, but making a Nexus would put Asus in front of a lot of consumers and also legitimatize the brand as I suspect they are still largely unknown to the average consumer. Basically take a hit to capture market share.

Name the time & place i will be there @ release

I cant wait i already have 200$ set aside for this beutiful tablet ...this will make apple all fuzzy inside when they see this

... I can't seem to find the pre-order button anywhere... lol!

Yeah, i'd have to say I'd order one. I have a 10" tablet and as much as I like it, having a 7" tablet would be a bit more portable. Especially if it's a Quad Core Tegra 3 nexus device. I'm sure that the amount of onboard memory is not going to be very high, so as long as there's a SD slot I think it would be perfect.

I agree with you on this one man this would be awsome if it had a sd card slot

Asus? Nexus? Tablet (or table)? Yes, please.

My TFP is a beast, if you made it a Nexus tablet, I would throw my money at Google/ASUS. haha

If I were Google, I would sell them for $100, just to piss off apple. Or have they patented being assholes too.

Asus? Nexus? Tablet (or table)? Yes, please.

My TFP is a beast, if you made it a Nexus tablet, I would throw my money at Google/ASUS. haha

Is your transformer rooted?

I just bought the keyboard for it and first week the screen went red. It broke. So I had to return it because it beyond repair and I had to sell my keyboard.

I don't see this happening. Fun rumor though. I think that if you want to buy a sub 7" tablet, buy a Kindle Fire or Nook and root it.

Doesn't ASUS already use vanilla ICS on their Transformer Prime? Plus, their updates are pretty good and frequent. Though I have to say, I'd probably like a 7" tablet more. The Prime we have is mostly my wife's and I find it to be a little large at times.

Doesn't ASUS already use vanilla ICS on their Transformer Prime? Plus, their updates are pretty good and frequent. Though I have to say, I'd probably like a 7" tablet more. The Prime we have is mostly my wife's and I find it to be a little large at times.

It's more or less "vanilla" with some asus stuff thrown in, but it didn't come with an unlocked bootloader, although asus released the unlock tool recently (with voided warranty included)

I was already considering a Nook Tablet (like that it is open to any ebooks) or a Kindle Fire (for some reason I was anti-Itunes and kept away from Apple, but I do not mind having a lot of the Amazon Cloud services).

I did read about the MeMO 370T at $250, which this could be similar to.

I believe it is a smart choice going with Asus considering that they are the ODM for a lot of notebooks and have a solid history for quality.

This will happen, IMO. Google made the Nexus One with bleeding edge specs to make the Android market competitive and it has worked wonders for them. Now they need (IMO) a push to tablet makers to stop telling the market that $399 is a "bargain" priced tablet. The only way to beat apple at the tablet game is to slaughter the price differential

I would definitely consider it especially if the bootloader was unlocked. I hate trying to change ROM's on locked bootloaders. The price certainly is good...

This will happen, IMO. Google made the Nexus One with bleeding edge specs to make the Android market competitive and it has worked wonders for them. Now they need (IMO) a push to tablet makers to stop telling the market that $399 is a "bargain" priced tablet. The only way to beat apple at the tablet game is to slaughter the price differential
Yeah, I'm totally with you on the lame "competition" with the iPad (it will be really interesting to see if Apple produces a smaller tablet). I even predicted 2 years back that Android tablets would be priced well under the iPad -- and then my jaw completely dropped when the Xoom came out. The price on the Samsung Galaxy Tab didn't help any either. On the positive side, though, Asus undercut the competition with the 16GB Transformer at $400. Sure, it's more than your average netbook, but...

...I sometimes wonder if the rumors of Apple's chokehold on the supply/manufacturing chain are true. It *is* hard to justify Android tablet prices. Something important to keep in mind: the Kindle Fire broke the price floor, ONLY BECAUSE (a) it's a 7" device, and (b) it has fewer features than the nicer 10" tablets. If the specs on this Google tablet prove true and it's $199, maybe it will help.

-Matt

Back