Should I root Moto Droid

I'm on a car forum and like to use this analogy. Some people will buy a new car and want it to stay stock. That's fine. Others will want to rip the seats out and put in Recaro seats. Some will change the OEM tires and maybe the rims themselves. You can also go to a speed shop and get a chip to replace the one in the car's computer to soup up the engine.

Both ideas are OK, but without knowing you it's hard to tell you whether you should customize your car or not.

By contrast, the iPhone is like a car with the hood and wheel nuts welded shut so only the dealer can touch them. ;)

Rooting is a personal preference. My advice, read, read, and read some more. If you decide to root, print the rooting process, study it, make notes so that you become familiar with the process.

If you experience any problems post them and the community will assist you.

Mike

And remember, rooting is very easy. Download RSD lite, SPRecovery, root, BAM you're rooted. Not hard, just it seems like it sucks when you never tried it lol

Flashing ROMs.. thats another thing. But not to to bad either though really. Just follow instructions.

Rooting allows access to the / or beginning of the entire phone system. It's pretty much like having administrative rights on Windows. With great power comes great responsibility. You will void the warranty provided by Verizon. You can always unroot later on if needed though.

Rooting allows access to the / or beginning of the entire phone system. It's pretty much like having administrative rights on Windows. With great power comes great responsibility. You will void the warranty provided by Verizon. You can always unroot later on if needed though.

Basically it lets you customize the phone any way you like? Sounds complicated... Dont think I wanna mess with that just yet as Im just getting started out on all this stuff...

Basically it lets you customize the phone any way you like? Sounds complicated... Dont think I wanna mess with that just yet as Im just getting started out on all this stuff...
It definitely is better to get the hang of the phone before rooting. It's not for everyone so don't anything you aren't sure of.

It definitely is better to get the hang of the phone before rooting. It's not for everyone so don't anything you aren't sure of.

Thanks...

Think ill hold off on that for right now... I just got the jist of downloading apps.. :)

Thanks...

Think ill hold off on that for right now... I just got the jist of downloading apps.. :)

It's like buying a new car. It's a good idea to see how it drives before deciding that something needs to be changed.

Does verizon have any way of knowing you rooted the phone if you return it to stock before they see it etc?

I got my Droid a few days after release. I learned all I could about the phone and started reading all about rooting. I probably studied all I could find about rooting for over three months before actually taking the leap. Rooting is not for everyone. If you are happy with your phone in stock condition, then I say don't worry about it. I was having so many problems with my phone after the 2.1 update that I basically had no other choice. For anyone contemplating rooting I suggest you do your homework. Read, read, read then........read again.

Anybody know where i can get directions on how to root the droid using a mac computer?

Stock Droid = Awesome beyond words

Rooted Droid = OMGWTFBBQPWNAGE!!!@111!!1

Either way. You win.

Back