Steinhl flex vs ultra oleophobic

x25064

Reaction score
Weigh in here, at $13/$17 a pop I am not going to order one and be pissed about it..

Which do you all like better? I'm looking mostly for screen clarity, the 2mm gap on the ultras doesn't bother me.

I got the ultra and I hated it. It got fingerprints like nuts and I couldn't get all the bubbles out and it felt like plastic.

I threw $14 in the garbage. However it was so bad I felt like I had a new phone when I took em off.

Have no idea about the other one.

I'm going naked.

Ultra Oleophic is dry apply and if it like their previous releases is crystal clear. Flex is wet apply. Don't have any experience with it or heard any feeback. Hopefully results are better than other wet apply protectors.

the flex is the rubbery orange peel wet apply, and the olephobic is the crystal clear dry application one. decide what you like better. my olephobic should be arriving tomorrow.

Also using the Ultra Oleophobic, looks/feels great. Only wish it covered the entire face of the device, but apparently the dry application can't go up to the edge of the glass because it wouldn't stick due to the Nexus curved glass. It's the best dry application I've found. The Flex is also said to be good, but it's wet application, has some orange peel affect and doesn't retain the glass like feeling that the Oleophobic does.

Just got my ultra and installed it. Went on easy enough but I'm not overly impressed with the bubbling in some areas. I cleaned my screen with alcohol and rubbed it several times before applying so I know for a fact it was clean as a whistle. Its almost like the protector itself was a little defective. Its nothing major and I managed to squish out 97% of the air. There's lines that almost look like hair but aren't that still exist, as well as some lines traveling down the edge parallel with the screen that are from the protector. It is worth noting however, that the clarity is very close to stock.

Normally I wouldn't care, but I just spent $14 on two 4" pieces of plastic. I'm going to be a little pissy

Sorry to hear you had difficulties installing. I personally followed what this guy did and got excellent results:
[video=youtube;GGc2wBJQawI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGc2wBJQawI[/video]

No bubbling anywhere, even at the edges. I even took off 1/4 of the top off to get rid of a speck of dust and it went on again easily with no problems.

I had the exact same problem with some lines that look like hairs.

I used the sticker to pull it up to remove them and ruined the first protector.

The second time around I installed it and had a bubble or something that would not go away.

After having it for a day and realizing I hated the feel, the fingerprints, and everything else I threw the $15 into the garbage and I've been naked since.

Just got my ultra and installed it. Went on easy enough but I'm not overly impressed with the bubbling in some areas. I cleaned my screen with alcohol and rubbed it several times before applying so I know for a fact it was clean as a whistle. Its almost like the protector itself was a little defective. Its nothing major and I managed to squish out 97% of the air. There's lines that almost look like hair but aren't that still exist, as well as some lines traveling down the edge parallel with the screen that are from the protector. It is worth noting however, that the clarity is very close to stock.

Normally I wouldn't care, but I just spent $14 on two 4" pieces of plastic. I'm going to be a little pissy

I got the ultra. First one I put on backwards, second one came out great. No bubbles and it feels like nothing is there. I steam up the bathroom for a bit, then install it. It feels like a sauna, but it helps eliminate dust and bubbles a great deal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Careful using steam in the bathroom to keep the dust down, you can easily make your moisture sensor go off by doing that and prevent a simple exchange/return.

Careful using steam in the bathroom to keep the dust down, you can easily make your moisture sensor go off by doing that and prevent a simple exchange/return.

I think I'm over careful with this phone, it's like a baby lol. But yes, good point to those who do the steam method :).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I had the exact same problem with some lines that look like hairs.

I used the sticker to pull it up to remove them and ruined the first protector.

The second time around I installed it and had a bubble or something that would not go away.

After having it for a day and realizing I hated the feel, the fingerprints, and everything else I threw the $15 into the garbage and I've been naked since.

I'm probably keeping mine just because I have a few scratches on my screen that I am pretty bummed out about. I can technically swap my phone because they have me put down as "radio issues" and cleared me for a swap to another handset, but I have a problem giving up phones that I get right out of the box. I feel like even if a refurb is simply a returned phone after a day of use (old nexus' of half the razr and rezound crowd) its still not MY brand new phone.

Plus I don't have radio issues anymore thanks to Axiom. So the old girl gets her protection and I feel better in the end.

Yeah I would hate to have to re-do all of the setup on my phone. You could ask for a new one rather than a re-furb.

How did you scratch it?

I'm probably keeping mine just because I have a few scratches on my screen that I am pretty bummed out about. I can technically swap my phone because they have me put down as "radio issues" and cleared me for a swap to another handset, but I have a problem giving up phones that I get right out of the box. I feel like even if a refurb is simply a returned phone after a day of use (old nexus' of half the razr and rezound crowd) its still not MY brand new phone.

Plus I don't have radio issues anymore thanks to Axiom. So the old girl gets her protection and I feel better in the end.

Back