Swype on Moto Droid [Video]

I went through the tutorial but still can't don't understand what needs to be done to capitalize a letter. I touch the letter and drag my finger above the keyboard, but that's not working. What am I doing wrong?

I went through the tutorial but still can't don't understand what needs to be done to capitalize a letter. I touch the letter and drag my finger above the keyboard, but that's not working. What am I doing wrong?
touch the key (m for example) and pause it there for a second or two. the ?, for example, will pop up on the text screen. when it does, remove your finger. the ? is on the end of the text.

When you are swiping "This" for example. Start with "T" then head straight up above the keyboard. You will then see the keyboard go to all caps. Then head back down to h-i-s.

I've been using this for a few days and have been really digging it. I most often use the smaller portrait mode keyboard and now I can finally use my thumb to type one handed reasonably quickly and accurately. using only my 1 thumb to tap type on that keyboard was a pain, even using better keyboard.

I'm lovin this. Plus it impresses my friends.

Last edited:
^^
Slight concern IMO too, however I'm guessing it's more for analytics, letting them analyze what words you're trying to type to improve the software.

I'm loving Swype so far. I'll still use the physical keyboard as the majority, but this makes the keyboard manageable, especially those of us with larger digits. ;)

I was used to the iPhone keyboard and was really fast with one thumb. Moved to the droid and it felt exactly the same had no problem using the new keyboard which was a relief, figured i would give this a go and so far it seems very promising! I like the 10-key layout for numbers and the movement keys are useful. Swyping is pretty damn intuitive. I was a master of T9 back in the nokia days and this is just as useful only on a QWERTY....brilliant app. I think landscape will be useful while in the car cradle since I find it hard to tap type while its mounted.

Couple others have replied correctly.
Example word : House
Start on the 'h' and swype above the keypad and until the keypad letters turn capitalized and then continue swyping 'o-u-s-e'. Also, if you swype 'h' then above the keypad and do a 'circle back' (the lil loop function to get double letters in swype) it will caps lock the keyboard!

This thing is AMAZING!

My ten year old just tried typing Mississippi using Swype, and it worked perfectly!

He didn't even do the "loop" thingy, to indicate double letters!

This is really SOOOOO much easier to type with!

Isn't it worth a couple bucks? :icon_ banana:

Quick, take it off your phones it is a pirated copy!

Customer Feedback & Ideas for Swype Inc

It is NOT LISENCED FOR THE DROID!

This, my friends, is a mastermind marketing plan. Plausible Deni-ability at its finest. They state that their business model is for an OEM product. For those uninitiated, that means they want to sell it to Verizon as the stock input app, or at least an alternative to a std. keyboard.

I would guess they're marketing this to Verizon as we speak.

Tell your kids NOT to do something and what do they do the first chance they get, DO IT. They know darn well that we end users will go nuts over this. Either that or one of their programmers decided to risk his job leaking this thing.

How many Droids do you think will have this "limited" version of the software on their machines in the next week? Massive numbers. Adds pressure to Verizon to pony up.

If that doesn't happen, I'll bet they'll "change" their business model and collect in $$ from the already hooked Droiders.

Heck, who could live without it once they get a taste.

So get those illegal copies off your phones immediately:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::)

Who me? I'm not a swiper....:wink:

:) Me either. I just think it's funny that this thing shows up out of the blue and they supposedly are complaining because people are using it. Now they put it on the Omnia II which is a WinMo phone. How do you suppose an android phone got it.

Really only two choices. They've given it out to testers who have pirated it or the programmers did. This wasn't some hacker out of the blue that put it out their, it was one of their own and probably on direction.

Last edited:
it was the developer that put it out. he did't want a lot of people to download it. it doest really make much since. the forums over at android central. just google "androidcentral official swype"

Short of someone taking my phone and manually uninstalling Swype... it's not going anywhere on my device :)

I hate you bastards! :)

Cause now I'm texting more then ever, what a great app.. and thats coming from one skeptical guy

My only concern is the standard warning when I was switching to Swype mode that it can record keystrokes and if you're silly enough to use your Droid to enter credit cards, or other personal information, that they could get this information. Is Swype one of those companies collecting this data?

I was thinkin the same, as long as your smart about the infomation you put in using swype...you should be good...correct?

Posted this on Swypes site, but thought I'd share here too for any insight/suggestions/etc.......

Installed it on my DROID and it seems to work great EXCEPT when i try to type out a text message…. In landscape mode you cannot see any choices of your contacts as you start typing in order to choose a recipient.. better explained like this:
1- open messaging
2- Press pencil icon for ‘create new message’
3- Click on ‘to’ screen
4- Type in who I want to text… If I want to text John Smith, I start typing J-O- and a drop down menu with all contact matches appear… I then tap the contact I want, John Smith
*5 – In landscape mode with Swype installed, my contact choices, as explained above in #4, do not appear
Suggestions?… or perhaps a future fix?
BTW, I know it does work in stard mode, just not landscape, which I use, and feel is best to use, for texting since the screen keyboard is bigger and you also have to drop down keyboard

Back