Teacher had a panic attack with MY DROID in her hand

GTFO? You realized if I tried leaving they'd stop me. lol Its not like you always have the option to go to school or not. Most people who do those kinds of stuff in school are forced to be there.

I could care less what they choose but this attitude of, "I will do what I want, and you should let me do it in school" is a load of crap.

Do what you want, at home. At school, follow the rules, or GTFO. Is that so hard for people here to comprehend?

I do agree...honestly, but if high school faculties would grant some freedom, with just little things like cell phones or what not, that attitude of "I will do what I want" will almost completely go away....of course you will still have those really bad kids, but the majority of students would actually take the time to understand the important rules instead of automatically turning off what they hear from the faculty and rebelling...I've actually witnessed this happen

I just want everyone to know that I do value my education. I'm almost finished with my 2nd year of college at the moment. With my last couple comments on this topic, I am referring to the petty way most of the faculty of high schools handle issues. At least thats the way it was at my high school. And from the the OP's original story, it looks like that is the way it is among other high schools also. I greatly value my education because without it, I will go nowhere in life. I'm 20 years old and I am majoring in nursing. The thing about the college classes I've taken so far, is that the instructors value the independence and privacy of their students. If the student doesnt take the class seriously, then the instructor fully acknowledges that that is the student's fault and no one else's. High school teachers are not like this from my experience. They strip the students of any independence and give a vibe like "it's my way or the highway". And this causes students to rebel and do things out of line. If the student decides to not pay attention and stay on their phone during class, then thats their fault, let them fail and learn the hard way.

College professors aren't pressured by the State and federal government to get you to graduate. If you fail college you're out some money. You can't even begin to imagine the amount of paperwork required by elementary & high school teachers. This is ALL because of intervention by government. In college if you are unruly, you fail the class and are out the money...possibly forbidden to return. In the lower grades we are REQUIRED to get you to graduate. If enough students fail for extended periods of time, the State steps in and staff is replaced in that building... Right now in my district we have 9 schools (out of 60) on the State's list of low performing schools, 5 of which are high schools. These teachers don't know what else to do. Students are so empowered by "rights" and parents only intervene if their child is wronged! Otherwise you never hear back from the parents. Some even give fake phone numbers (like the local supermarket number or bank number) so we can't reach them.

College professors and private schools have more authority...if you don't like their rules you're gone...simple as that.

I Honestly dont know if this had anything to do with my attitude in school. but my dad put up with nothing, if i were to disrespect my teachers or adults in general. i would get my behind torched lol. Now that im grown and look back at it im glad i was raised like that beacouse im put me on the right path. The cop was saying if the kids really wanted to have sex ect. ect. if enough ambition is there they will find any way to do it. He may not allow it but at least hes not ignorant and naive. But you have to parent them alwase and give them something positive to look up too. Like thier father or older bother. That has kept me in line all these years and i pray my children are like thier daddy when it comes with respect and attitude =)

I Honestly dont know if this had anything to do with my attitude in school. but my dad put up with nothing, if i were to disrespect my teachers or adults in general. i would get my behind torched lol. Now that im grown and look back at it im glad i was raised like that beacouse im put me on the right path. The cop was saying if the kids really wanted to have sex ect. ect. if enough ambition is there they will find any way to do it. He may not allow it but at least hes not ignorant and naive. But you have to parent them alwase and give them something positive to look up too. Like thier father or older bother. That has kept me in line all these years and i pray my children are like thier daddy when it comes with respect and attitude =)

Yes....If the parents raise their children their right way, the children will know how to handle situations...they will know how to follow rules and respect, and also, recognize if they're being wronged by the faculty of their school....its up to parents to instill values and not teacher's...

I like this.

An ex-cop telling us that kids these days usually make the right deicison, then goes on to say that sex, smoking pot, and other crap is going on in the classrooms. Thats actually been mentioned a few times in this thread.

Contradict much?

I didn't say it was OK, and I'm not saying it's not OK. Kids, PEOPLE are going to do what they are going to do. I just try to guide them in the direction I FEEL is right.

After 20 years of being a cop, and I'm female by the way, I'd rather have them having protected sex, talking on the phones IN CLASS, and smoking the occasional joint then them raping babies, joining gangs, murdering their parents (who where to stupid to notice that their child was having problems) and planning and committing Columbine High School massacres!

Kids today ARE more responsible than you think and I still don't think the OP did anything wrong!

:mad:

I like this.

An ex-cop telling us that kids these days usually make the right deicison, then goes on to say that sex, smoking pot, and other crap is going on in the classrooms. Thats actually been mentioned a few times in this thread.

Contradict much?

I didn't say it was OK, and I'm not saying it's not OK. Kids, PEOPLE are going to do what they are going to do. I just try to guide them in the direction I FEEL is right.

After 20 years of being a cop, and I'm female by the way, I'd rather have them having protected sex, talking on the phones IN CLASS, and smoking the occasional joint then them raping babies, joining gangs, murdering their parents (who where to stupid to notice that their child was having problems) and planning and committing Columbine High School massacres!

Kids today ARE more responsible than you think and I still don't think the OP did anything wrong!

:mad:

+1 That is so true.....I haven't heard it explained any better than that...

hahahaha this is so funny!!! Everyone is getting so worked up! When if ANYONE had taken THEIR DROID and slung it around and threatened to throw it against the wall, I believe someone would've gotten hurt for sure!

If I was the teacher I would have flipped open the keyboard and snapped it in half. Just kind of a prick that way.

I have to echo MM1 Payne above.

I grew up in a family of 6 kids. My parents were decent, fair people who worked hard to raise us right. We were raised to respect ourselves, others, and other people's property, as well as authority, and those in charge. My parents put up with absolutely no crap what so ever from us.

We knew where the lines were, and we knew not to cross them. Occasional spankings, yes... loss of privleges, groundings, and what not? Definitely, and they had a unique way of making it stick. They weren't overbearing, ogre type parents... quite the opposite. All of my friends, and those of my siblings all thought my parents were the best, because they treated everyone with respect, and got it in return. We loved and respected our parents, because they loved and respected us... and we just knew that there were certain things that we were never going to get away with, so there was no point in trying....

I don't know about the rest of u guys but some people can multitask. I'm graduating college this semester and I'm always on my phone and laptop. I feel as though teachers can make all the rules they want but students are going to find a way to break the rules its inevitable. The kids that can multitask while paying attention in class will be successful and I'm one of them so I know its true lol.

And most of the people in here that are lecturing the op did the same thing when they were younger.

hahahaha this is so funny!!! Everyone is getting so worked up! ....

You are right and I apologize. I just saw so many jumping on the OP about his texting in class without taking everything into consideration.

I had a flash back to the days I'd get called to someones house about a problem with their child and all I wanted to do was shoot the parent and give the kid a hug.

The OP apologized to the teacher. I thought the he handled the situation with maturity.

hahahaha this is so funny!!! Everyone is getting so worked up! ....

You are right and I apologize. I just saw so many jumping on the OP about his texting in class without taking everything into consideration.

I had a flash back to the days I'd get called to someones house about a problem with their child and all I wanted to do was shoot the parent and give the kid a hug.

The OP apologized to the teacher. I thought the he handled the situation with maturity.

No no...don't apologize to me, seriously. I thought you were the one speaking the truth about these kind of things, for real...in my eyes, you did no wrong or said anything out of line whatsoever...

Back