Teacher had a panic attack with MY DROID in her hand

OMG! This is too funny! The definition of stealing:

to take or appropriate without right or leave and with intent to keep or make use of wrongfully
---Merriam-Webster Dictionary

The teacher has EVERY RIGHT to CONFISCATE any item that is a disruption to the educational process...

And to REPEAT my original statement:
should she have threaten to break it? Not at all.

As to kids having rights...they have the same rights as the rest of us...so if we go to the airport and we want to fly on a plane we have to follow THEIR rules or we don't fly...they take items every day from passengers. This IS a right of ALL private/public organizations. Court rooms, stores (sometimes they ask to hold your bags while you shop in their stores to prevent stealing), trains, etc. Teachers don't take stuff from kids so they can keep them for themselves (if they do they SHOULD be fired!). We have a job to do...TEACH STUDENTS and if they are distracted from learning it's our job to get them back on task. It is the PARENTS job to teach proper etiquette for proper phone use.

Being a teacher myself, the teacher had every right to take the phone...should she have threaten to break it? Not at all. She should have called the office to pick up the phone and called the OP's parents to pick up the phone. Plus the school most likely has policies regarding phone use in/on school property. The parents would be notified of these policies and if OP violated them again he would be suspended (or whatever their policy states.). IF she did break the phone and the school is unionized, she would NOT be sued and most likely NOT be fired. However she would most likely be required to seek counseling and might be put on leave for a bit. She may have also be asked to transfer to another building or the OP transferred to another class. If she committed a similar act again (or has in the past) THEN she would most likely be terminated. The district would pay for the phone (unless the OP has insurance on the phone and then it would be replaced via them) and the school would kiss the OP's parents a*s for a while.

While I think the teacher is 100% WRONG in this case for how she handled the situation, I do sympathize with her. She more than likely has issues in her personal life that she is having a hard time handling. Kids do have a way of pushing our buttons from time to time. While we are required to be professional in our duties, SOMETIMES we are held to a higher standard because we are teachers. We are human beings like everyone else and we do slip up...again not condoning how this teacher responded in this case.

Having a policy does not make it legal to steal an item from anyone. I now declare a policy that anyone who posts after me must pay me $5. Do I have any right? Nope. Schools have the right to suspend, not steal.

Honestly I do agree that it can be disrespectful to the teacher but heres the thing. When students use their cell phone in school they typically try to hide it. Now I know it all depends on the teachers rule towards cell phones, but in any class that I have been students mainly just keep their phone under the desk when using it. To me, I think as long as the student using the cell phone isn't causing a distraction to any other students or teachers, then its fine. I say this because the student is only going to hurt themselves in the long run. Who cares! If the student wants to pay more attention to their cell phone instead of learning, then let them. They'll be the one who pays in the future. I would say 80% of students will pay attention(depends on area where you live though) but you will have those students who do just goof around an play on cell phones. As long as they're not distracting other students or teacher, who cares let them.

Yea that's exactly how I see it. Taking the phone and/or making a scene interrupts the whole class which is way worse.

Leave it in your bookbag

Inappropriate use of a phone in class impedes the ability for the instructor to do what they are charged to do which is provide you with a solid education. It's a distraction to not only you but your classmates. Leave it in your bookbag.

Inappropriate cell phone use is a hot issue these days, I shouldn't even mention cell phone sue while driving, it'll start this thread in a whole different direction (oops, just did!). To all the posters, keep in mind that not all schools are the same, I'm sure there are schools where drug use is rampant on campus, and schools where there are less drugs, and the students that do drugs do them elsewhere. Same with sex, violence, cell phones, etc. I was thinking the same thing at first, this kid is exaggerating, but what do I really know about it? Sorry about the "kid", but I'm old enough that I use the term for almost anyone without children of there own...

I'm one of the few that accepts I am a kid lol I especially feel like it now since this topic made me realize like everyone of the forums is 5 years older then me.

LOL @ the fact that the security had to come get her. How crazy was she acting and who called the security? lol

Being a teacher myself, the teacher had every right to take the phone...should she have threaten to break it? Not at all. She should have called the office to pick up the phone and called the OP's parents to pick up the phone. Plus the school most likely has policies regarding phone use in/on school property. The parents would be notified of these policies and if OP violated them again he would be suspended (or whatever their policy states.). IF she did break the phone and the school is unionized, she would NOT be sued and most likely NOT be fired. However she would most likely be required to seek counseling and might be put on leave for a bit. She may have also be asked to transfer to another building or the OP transferred to another class. If she committed a similar act again (or has in the past) THEN she would most likely be terminated. The district would pay for the phone (unless the OP has insurance on the phone and then it would be replaced via them) and the school would kiss the OP's parents a*s for a while.

While I think the teacher is 100% WRONG in this case for how she handled the situation, I do sympathize with her. She more than likely has issues in her personal life that she is having a hard time handling. Kids do have a way of pushing our buttons from time to time. While we are required to be professional in our duties, SOMETIMES we are held to a higher standard because we are teachers. We are human beings like everyone else and we do slip up...again not condoning how this teacher responded in this case.

Having a policy does not make it legal to steal an item from anyone. I now declare a policy that anyone who posts after me must pay me $5. Do I have any right? Nope. Schools have the right to suspend, not steal.

And about that my school's faculty has said many times, that since were minors all right don't apply to us. Like they search people without any valid reason, and if you get caught with something they will search you randomly every 2 weeks or so. They will even search through your phone when they search you. I'm not sure if its true we don't have rights and all but it doesn't really effect me since I don't get searched.

Actually, it is not stealing. Pick up a dictionary and you might know that. They are confiscating it which is perfectly legal as this is a government run institution. Sort of like how TSA can confiscate your knives and court houses can confiscate your guns and cell phones.

It isn't because you are minors - it s because you are in a government run institution. Public schools have a much wider net of authority over students than private schools do. Yes, they can search you. You have no right to an expectation of privacy. The courts have upheld this time and again. Look it up.

And about that my school's faculty has said many times, that since were minors all right don't apply to us. Like they search people without any valid reason, and if you get caught with something they will search you randomly every 2 weeks or so. They will even search through your phone when they search you. I'm not sure if its true we don't have rights and all but it doesn't really effect me since I don't get searched.

Minors still have rights, them thinking you don't shows they're really good teachers :icon_eek:

Teachers do have the right to search your items IF they have reasonable cause, just like cops have to have reasonable cause. They do not have the right to search your stuff for no reason at all, this would be an invasion of privacy/abuse of power, and you are free to sue them and will win.

In schools, minors have few rights. They don't have their full right to free speech, assembly, they have no expectation of privacy, they cannot unionize, etc. They do not need reasonable cause to search in a school building. They can search lockers and backpacks that are in lockers. They can do classroom wide searches if they want. Courts have upheld this time and again, too.

Pure ignorance. Read a book.

LOL @ the fact that the security had to come get her. How crazy was she acting and who called the security? lol

Its in some other post somewhere but first the teacher next door came over but I'm not sure if she or another teacher called security.

In schools, minors have few rights. They don't have their full right to free speech, assembly, they have no expectation of privacy, they cannot unionize, etc. They do not need reasonable cause to search in a school building. They can search lockers and backpacks that are in lockers. They can do classroom wide searches if they want. Courts have upheld this time and again, too.
Thats pretty much exactly what they've said.

Pure ignorance. Read a book.
But this comment was completely unnecessary

Looks like the poor lady had a nervous breakdown. I bet she probably just had enough and let it get to her. Or.... maybe she had issues at home. Hate to laugh, but when I try to picture it, I can't help it.

But this comment was completely unnecessary

A lot of things are unnecessary in this thread. Like a dropout trying to justify cell phone usage in class. Or a college grad(wow!) telling someone that they don't know what they are talking about because they are in college. People have been fling poo at each other since the first page.

Buck up and take it, or don't read it.

Last edited:
Had I known this would be so controversial, I probably wouldn't have posted it.

How could you not think it would be controversial?

How could you not think it would be controversial?

It was suppose to just be a laugh not even for people to take it seriously like that.
It was suppose to be more about that my Droid had a close one and not the fact a teacher took my phone or even the fact that it happened at school.

I woulda told that b**** to give it back or buy me a new one!!! Act like an adult!! Don't sling my Droid around or you're gonna get smacked!!! Just outta pure reflex!!

I woulda told that b**** to give it back or buy me a new one!!! Act like an adult!! Don't sling my Droid around or you're gonna get smacked!!! Just outta pure reflex!!

Your entire statement and act like an adult are in contradiction of each other.

Back