Think I'm going to root. Paranoid.

Just to be clear, I'm not downing rooting, just giving another opinion regarding it.

wug's root toolkit is THE WAY to root. it's like rooting for dummies.

Are you suggesting that those who use Wugs root toolkit are in some way dummies?! :D

How about a more diplomatic approach... Wug's root toolkit is THE WAY to root. It's like rooting for those who are android root challenged? :D

wug's root toolkit is THE WAY to root. it's like rooting for dummies.

Are you suggesting that those who use Wugs root toolkit are in some way dummies?! :D

How about a more diplomatic approach... Wug's root toolkit is THE WAY to root. It's like rooting for those who are android root challenged? :D
so am I a guru if I used sbenson's method?:hail:

Most everything has probably been said. Just read read read hell read until you lose the jitters, find you tube videos, and do not be afraid to ask here we are all willing to help with any issue. First time is scary and worrisome but after that is all fun and games.

Hey, you're not the only one who is paranoid about rooting... I got my Nexus at 10am launch day, and I currently have V1.0, V1.2, and the newest Version 1.3 of Wug's Root Toolkit on this PC, as well as about 600MB worth of other Android files (SDK and the like) as well as FULL backups of both my OG Droid and my Galaxy Nexus, the former being how it was the last time it was connected to the network, and the latter being from the day I got my Nexus (I backed up the original OE as well as a separate one with all of my apps/pictures/music/etc on it). YET I feel unprepared...

I have done countless hours of reading, enough that I doubt anyone here would post a guide that I haven't been over four times, yet I am still lost. If these phones were based on Windows, it would be easy-as-pie and I would have had full administrative rights before the phone was even out of the box! But with Linux-based OS, I am simply confused, as I don't know anything about coding or whatnot and it's all Chinese to me.

Keep in mind, though, that this is coming from a person who ENJOYS Biochemical Engineering and Psychopharmacology (Research and Development), and also someone who has built numerous computers over the past 9 years, from all-out Gaming Rigs to Home Server PC's (for friends) to Workstation PC's. I am a little bit behind on my computer knowledge but have been catching up (I am wanting to turn a 3yr old Home PC into a Home Server/Media Server/HTPC), as I am not familiar with the current home networking standards (OS-wise). I am also upgrading my entire home network, from the modem to routers to access points to Ethernet-over-Power-lines, and it's actually been kinda fun (so far); even though it is a nearly-6000sq*ft house (Current Plans/Wiring: Top Floor - Cable comes in to Motorola SurfBoard DOCSIS3.0 Modem w Gigabit Ethernet (GbEth) port, then 7ft Cat6 cable goes from Modem to Linksys E4200 Dual-Band 450/450 GbEth Router, with one 5ft Cat6 cable going to Linksys 500Mbps Powerline-AV adapter which plugs into regular wall outlet. First Floor - Linksys Dual-Band 450/450 Wireless Access Point (upgraded to 4x 9dBm-gain Omni Antenna) with 4 GbEth ports is between kitchen/family room, 25ft Cat6 cable connects to 10/100/1000T 4-Way Hub, then 3 Cat6 cables connect to 47" LED-LCD "Smart TV"/HD DVR/Blu-Ray Player in Family Room while the WAP provides full-speed N WiFi sixty feet in any direction; a Linksys Powerline-AV WiFi Repeater will be plugged into an outlet on the furthest wall to keep signal strong. Basement/Lower-Level - This is where the home theater is, so there will be a second Linksys 450/450 Dual-Band WAP with 6 GbEth ports as well as a Powerline-AV 4-port Adapter near the home theater area, connecting via Cat6 cables to the 55" LG LED-LCD TV/HD DVR/XBox360/PS3/Blu-Ray Player/HTPC/9.3ch Receiver, with the Powerline-AV Adapter providing both backup via physical input to WAP via Cat6 cable as well as providing 3 open 500Mbps Ethernet ports for laptops or any additional equipment added; at the opposite end of the basement will be another Linksys Powerline-AV WiFi Repeater to extend range. Lastly, there will be a 1.2m ultra-high-gain omnidirectional antenna along 2nd floor window, with a total range of 300ft (500 line of sight) providing outdoor WiFi; everything protected by three physical firewalls and 192bit encryption; there will also be 2 separate 4x2TB RAID10 Network Storage Units each with its own 1000W battery-backup PSU). Easy to cut and past ;)

POINT IS: I AM NOT AFRAID TO GET MY HANDS DIRTY!
Yet rooting my phone scares the poo out of me. I worry that losing any data on this computer (it would be done on my Dell 1545 laptop, not my 3-circuit H2O-cooled gaming rig), via anything from it getting stolen to it crashing, would mean I would lose all of my files that my phone was "mated to"... Then again, I don't get Linux...

I wonder... would keeping a backup of my phone on something like Dropbox be a good idea? I can keep photos/videos/music on a larger free online storage site, but it doesn't have a direct-to-phone app, but that is not as important as it is for things like, oh, the PHONE'S OS! Any ideas/suggestions/feedback?

POINT IS: I AM NOT AFRAID TO GET MY HANDS DIRTY!
Yet rooting my phone scares the poo out of me. I worry that losing any data on this computer (it would be done on my Dell 1545 laptop, not my 3-circuit H2O-cooled gaming rig), via anything from it getting stolen to it crashing, would mean I would lose all of my files that my phone was "mated to"... Then again, I don't get Linux...

I wonder... would keeping a backup of my phone on something like Dropbox be a good idea? I can keep photos/videos/music on a larger free online storage site, but it doesn't have a direct-to-phone app, but that is not as important as it is for things like, oh, the PHONE'S OS! Any ideas/suggestions/feedback?

Now this is called being prepared. It's the leap to start rooting that's the hard part.

As for backups. I keep a backup on my main PC and a backup hdd AND a backup usb drive. The usb drive is strictly used for anything important so it's rarely used as my backup harddrive is used once in awhile. I actually have a bitcasa account and I should really backup my Nexus files there too just in case (Thanks for reminding me!). On bitcasa you can upload anything I believe and I think it worked great. Not sure if it's open to public yet though.

And I just recently found out I can listen to Slacker radio through my car... lol

I just got my Galaxy Nexus a couple weeks ago and I rooted both my Droid 1 OG and My HTC Incredible I was scared at first but these phones are just meant for this! Its the carriers that lock the boot-loaders !! I have been very scared to root my Nexus because of lack of sdcard? If this phone had one, I prob would of rooted week 1 !! That is my only concern :(

I just got my Galaxy Nexus a couple weeks ago and I rooted both my Droid 1 OG and My HTC Incredible I was scared at first but these phones are just meant for this! Its the carriers that lock the boot-loaders !! I have been very scared to root my Nexus because of lack of sdcard? If this phone had one, I prob would of rooted week 1 !! That is my only concern :(

What about it concerns you?

Back