[Updated] Apple Brings Lawsuit Against Samsung

They just want publicity and this was the most expensive form they could think of...

You have just been post-pwned.

This is bull crap. There is only so much you can do with a phone. Sure the UI is very similar, but they're not exactly the same. I think Samsung wanted to bring a very simple and easy to understand UI. How much more simplistic can you get than that.
I personaly don't like the TouchWiz launcher, but I love every other part of it. The power widgets, and instant music controls on the pull down notifications area are awesome. It's those little things that make the user experience very simple and fun. This lawsuit is just a waste of time.

This is so dumb.

Yeah, Samsung Galaxy phones look a LOT like the iphone. I've noticed that the second I saw them. But I don't think one can patent how an item LOOKS. All laptops have the same design... does that mean the company that created the original laptop should sue everyone else? Samsung's UI is completely their own with an entirely different software and I think it's very foolish for Apple to sue one of their own partners.

Hopefully apple doesn't see this!
4be2f8e5-2f55-258c.jpg

Sent from the hand of zeus!

Yay! More litigation and less innovation.

the only ones that win with this kind of BS are the lawyers. while we lose out on more competition.

With the lightning fast cycles of electronic devices we need to make copyrights become public domain in two years or less.

The original intent of copyright law was to keep individuals and companies innovating by limiting how long an entity owned the rights to a creation. Instead we now have copyrights lasting longer than the average human lives.

Thanks for nothing Sony Bono!

If they were eventually successful with a suit like this, TV manufacturers would start suing each other left and right.

Brandon

This lawsuit will go nowhere but it does make you wonder how the relationship between the two companies will be harmed or if there is already more going on behind the scenes with the supply line that we don't know about. Apple gets alot of parts from Samsung and with the already limited supplies out there due to the japan crisis it is interesting that apple would piss off a main supplier. Apple may account for 5% of Samsung's business so they may want to protect that but they do have some clout themselves and could make Apples supply woes all that much worse... Will be fun to watch this play out.

ima be honest....as much as i hate apple i do not blame them...its actually why i hate samsung phones they look too much like iphone rip offs...whatever happened to the android stock dock...why go with the 4 icons that look VERY similar to the iphone layout...why make the phone the same shape with a WEIRD unandroid like touch button in the middle that looks very similar to iphones one button layout...like keep it android you think making it look like an iphone will make more people buy it?...stupid move by samsung and i hope it makes they change up their products bc they do look WAY to much like iphones

New updated "news"
Shows a Samsung premiered in 2006 before the iphone came out.

Did Apple Really “Steal” Their iPhone Design From Samsung? [Pot, Meet Kettle]

I liked this part of the article:
"The answer: no one is stealing from anyone. Apple didn’t invent icons, nor did they invent the grid in which they sit. They didn’t invent the rectangle. They didn’t invent the touchscreen. They surely didn’t invent the nice looking button sitting at the bottom. And last, but not least, they didn’t invent phones."

New updated "news"
Shows a Samsung premiered in 2006 before the iphone came out.

Did Apple Really “Steal” Their iPhone Design From Samsung? [Pot, Meet Kettle]

I liked this part of the article:
"The answer: no one is stealing from anyone. Apple didn’t invent icons, nor did they invent the grid in which they sit. They didn’t invent the rectangle. They didn’t invent the touchscreen. They surely didn’t invent the nice looking button sitting at the bottom. And last, but not least, they didn’t invent phones."

These Android fanboy websites should get their facts straight before posting dumb crap. That samsung phone was announced AFTER the iPhone and didn't come out until December of 2007.

Samsung F700 - Full phone specifications
news SAMSUNG
Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
Samsung SGH-F700 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you need me to post more links proving it was released well after the iPhone.

Do you need me to post more links proving it was released well after the iPhone.
Yes please do.
Thank you.

By the way, I was not saying you were posting dumb crap. I was speaking of these little mom and pop android websites who go out of their way to bash Apple any chance they can. I just read my post again and it sounded like I was talking about you, but I really was not. I apologize if you were offended by my post.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

A design patent really is hard to tell at what point your product is different then another.. one really big thing 10 small things.. while the shape of them is similar, there doesn't seems to be enough from what a family layer of mine that deals with stuff like that says "that while they have a chance to win, he didn't see enough to justify the full claim of apple", that's based off what he has read and everything.

But this lawsuit extends beyond simple design patents and includes trademark infringement as well as trade dress infringement (of which Apple has had success defending). This blog provides a pretty thorough explaination of each point. The three main components of the lawsuit being:

First Claim: Trade dress infringement under 15 U.S.C. § 1125

Second Claim: Federal trade dress infringement under 15 U.S.C. § 1114
  • U.S. Registration No. 3,470,983 is for the overall design of the product, including the rectangular shape, the rounded corners, the silver edges, the black face, and the display of sixteen colorful icons.
  • U.S. Registration No. 3,457,218 is for the configuration of a rectangular handheld mobile digital electronic device with rounded corners.
  • U.S. Registration No. 3,475,327 is for a rectangular handheld mobile digital electronic device with a gray rectangular portion in the center, a black band above and below the gray rectangle and on the curved corners, and a silver outer border and side.

Third Claim: Federal trademark infringement under 15 U.S.C. § 1114
  • No. 3,886,196 is the iOS phone app icon.
  • No. 3,889,642 is the iOS messaging app icon.
  • No. 3,886,200 is the iOS photos app icon.
  • No. 3,889,685 is the iOS settings app icon.
  • No. 3,886,169 is the iOS notes app icon.
  • No. 3,886,197 is the iOS contacts icon.
  • Pending No. 85/041,463 is the iTunes icon, which is a riff on U.S. Registration No. 2,935,038, the desktop iTunes logo.

The trademark infringement for the icons are because of Touchwiz:

avsamics2.jpg

"a rectangular shape with rounded corners and black frame"

That's simply a patent that should never be granted - it's not "non-obvious". What a waste.

I'd run out to patent a rectangular shape with rounded corners and white frame, white back....But I'm sure Apple already has that.

Back