Voice Search/Action Is Awsome!

SEGA

Reaction score
This is a kick @$$ addon for Android, must have for 2.2'ers

Google's One-Button Voice Actions For Android 2.2

The new Voice Search application on Android, starting today, lets you do tasks with just the voice search button and speaking what you want to do. The first example: texting a person by saying their name and the message.
Second example: Calling a business you don't have a number for, but know the name of. It uses Google Maps to find the business and route the number.
Another one: Navigation. Say "Navigate to Rockefeller Plaza", and it will bring up the navigation app and drive you to the destination. Then, finding music on your phone, which will go out on the internet and grab music to play back on an app on your Android phone. Once you find a result, it'll come back and show you which apps support this music feature, and you can pick one to play (like Pandora).

340x_ggbyvvu0z5s.jpg

These voice actions are "fast and easy to use", but you don't have to do everything at once, like send an email in its entirety from the start screen. You can add more text to an email, for example
It also does menial tasks, like "set alarm for 8:30 AM," or "Go to Wikipedia."

Another cool use case: Note to Self. Where you have a fleeting thought, you say "Note to Self: Blah blah blah" and it'll make an email to you to remind you of what you just said.
There are ten of these Voice Search features total. It is available today on Android 2.2 devices. Search for "Voice Search" in the market.
Here's the big list of Voice Actions:
send text to [contact] [message]
listen to [artist/song/album]
call [business]
call [contact]
send email to [contact] [message]
go to [website]
note to self [note]
navigate to [location/business name]
directions to [location/business name]
map of [location]

Last edited:
How about opening Applications?

Is there a command to open applications?

For Example: "Open Calculator"

I have tried various words with no success.

[video=youtube;gGbYVvU0Z5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbYVvU0Z5s&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Introducing Voice Actions for Android[/video]

Yea it is cool and all until you have to repeat yourself 5 times so it understands you correctly...

I said: " I saw a good deal on the internet for at&t dsl. we should look into it"

It captured: "Good deal on the internet for at&t dsl with should look into it" after 5 tries 3 being unable to connect to the server.

And apparently it doesnt want to search my phone for music but instead use pandora or slacker... :(

Last edited:
The best part about it is that it works via bluetooth. I didn't even know about the update, and accidentally hit the button on my bluetooth car stereo. Pandora paused, and a voice asked me to say a command. I told it to call my wife, and it worked. Been waiting for this since November!

I'm thinking they also updated the bluetooth capabilities, because my phone seems to connect to the stereo more consistently now.

The best part about it is that it works via bluetooth. I didn't even know about the update, and accidentally hit the button on my bluetooth car stereo. Pandora paused, and a voice asked me to say a command. I told it to call my wife, and it worked. Been waiting for this since November!

I'm thinking they also updated the bluetooth capabilities, because my phone seems to connect to the stereo more consistently now.

I'm pretty sure that's just a new feature where Froyo lets bluetooth activate the Voice Dialer -- which is not the new Voice Search, unfortunately.

If you'd like to have a bluetooth-activated app that does most of what the Voice Search does, and allows you to play music from the stock music player by voice command, try Choice Dialer from the Market instead.

Last edited:

Mine too and I love it! With 2.1, it was very inconsistent hooking up to my car stereo using bluetooth (for music). With 2.2, music starts playing everytime I start the car and the bluetooth connects. It's great.

Mine too and I love it! With 2.1, it was very inconsistent hooking up to my car stereo using bluetooth (for music). With 2.2, music starts playing everytime I start the car and the bluetooth connects. It's great.

I still have inconsistent connecting. are you using a rooted version of 2.2 and if so, which one?

Yea it is cool and all until you have to repeat yourself 5 times so it understands you correctly...

I said: " I saw a good deal on the internet for at&t dsl. we should look into it"

It captured: "Good deal on the internet for at&t dsl with should look into it" after 5 tries 3 being unable to connect to the server.

:(

Yeah... really it didn't work with that complex dictation?. Maybe you've been watching too much Startrek. You have to use the syntax commands described in the earlier post.

Just say, "go to a t and t dsl" (and don't mumble). That showed me google search results instantly with the mention about their dsl deal in the search info description.

Works great. I have used it now for about twenty text messages and I have used the "note to self" to send instant emails to my google account for various thoughts which pop into mind.

I still have inconsistent connecting. are you using a rooted version of 2.2 and if so, which one?

I'm not rooted. I just did the manual 2.2 update last week. Maybe it's your car stereo or it's bluetooth adapter? I'm using the Alpine EX-10 bluetooth adapter to interface to my factory Honda stereo system. Didn't work so great with 2.1, but works perfect with 2.2.

I'm not rooted. I just did the manual 2.2 update last week. Maybe it's your car stereo or it's bluetooth adapter? I'm using the Alpine EX-10 bluetooth adapter to interface to my factory Honda stereo system. Didn't work so great with 2.1, but works perfect with 2.2.

I have a Sony xplod unit and never had any issues with my last blackberry. The only other option im thinking is to just use a newer build of 2.2 (rooted). currently using BB.04

Back