VZW Account - Lose Unlimited?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm in an online argument with someone, and I need a little help. (Yes, insert XKCD comic about someone on the internet being wrong).

He's trying to convince me that we're all going to lose our grandfathered unlimited plans. He claims a VZW rep told him that he would lose his unlimited plan as soon as his original contract expires, and he'll be dropped back to the tiered plan. He claims he knows someone who got a letter in their bill stating just that.

I'm trying to convince him he's wrong, and that we're all grandfathered in to unlimited for the entire terms of our contract renewal. If VZW were to do this, I feel like I'd hear about it here, on top of that, there are plenty of people who would cry foul -- since we all know you cant change the terms of a contract in the middle of a contracting period.

Anyone hear anything like this?

He is correct, if you change plans. But technically your contract doesn't "expire", you're just no longer locked-in or committed. The contract itself is an open-ended term, but when you first sign-up you have a penalty for breaking it inside of 24 months.

He is correct, if you change plans. But technically your contract doesn't "expire", you're just no longer locked-in or committed. The contract itself is an open-ended term, but when you first sign-up you have a penalty for breaking it inside of 24 months.

Don't activate a non smartphone and you should be fine. Minute plans are different from the data being a feature so you should be fine.

Don't activate a non smartphone and you should be fine. Minute plans are different from the data being a feature so you should be fine.

That's my understanding -- as long as you go from smartphone to smartphone, you keep your unlimited forever (for the time being)

Yup, if you go from data phone to data phone you will be grandfathered into an unlimited plan. If this person insists they're right leave them be, it's less stressful

Just speaking from personal experience. I recently left my parents company plan and opened my own account. I was told by the Verizon employee that I would keep my unlimited data because I was not starting a new contract just creating my own account. After I switched the next day I found out I was on a 4gb plan and rose hell. They originally told me I was basically out of luck and nothing they could do. After raising more hell they finally gave it back. So be careful, they definitely want people off of it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

"claims he knows someone who......"
Pictures or it didn't happen is what I'd tell your buddy. A third party verbal rumor is worth no more than the paper it is printed on.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

When I was working for vzw we unveiled the tiered and the company carefully worded it as when you upgraded you would be grandfathered in "for now." Basically, they won't take you off in the middle of your contract, but I believe eventually they will require you to go to tiered to upgrade and sign a new contract, and I believe this time will come later this year when they unveil the family shared data plans where everyone shares out of a large pool of gbs similar to how minutes are right nowv

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Well if they do there losing my 260$ monthly bill.. cuz i use a average of 8gb to 9gb a month. Watching netflix and streaming pandora all the time and measing around on forums. I think that whole 2gb average is straight b's anyway..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Just speaking from personal experience. I recently left my parents company plan and opened my own account. I was told by the Verizon employee that I would keep my unlimited data because I was not starting a new contract just creating my own account. After I switched the next day I found out I was on a 4gb plan and rose hell. They originally told me I was basically out of luck and nothing they could do. After raising more hell they finally gave it back. So be careful, they definitely want people off of it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thats cause you were given bad info so the agent could get the sale. Any changes to your plan and you lose unlimited. The only thing that can be carried over is your phone #. Went through the same problem (sorta the agents either didn't want to split my line or where just plain retarded cause i had no problem at an authorized retail store when a branch store couldn't do it.

You where making your own plan (just like you were do if you never set up an account at verizon) kept your phone # and then they deleted the line from your parents. So yes you signed up for a verizon account after the unlimited promo ended. And you got lucky as hell that they honored it even after giving them hell.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

People, as long as you stay on your current line, on your current account, with a smartphone and you don't touch your data plan you will keep your data plan for as long as Verizon lets us, the DAY we hear even a RUMOR of them deciding to take grandfathered unlimited accounts out you will see it not only on Droid websites, but plastered in the news EVERYWHERE.
Also, you can upgrade your phone and sign a "new" contract and keep unlimited data, you can change your minutes, texting, pretty much anything else about your plan except your data and it will not effect it.
Your friend, and a few others here, for some reason think that unlimited data is somehow tied into your contract, if that was true, then why could I switch my sisters Droid to a dumbphone in the middle of her contract period with no repercussions? Features in your plan are not tied to your contract, your contract is simply to keep you with Verizon for 2 years because they subsidized a phone for you.

This was my case

That's my understanding -- as long as you go from smartphone to smartphone, you keep your unlimited forever (for the time being)

I switched from a smartphone to another smartphone (crack berry to Droid 3) my plan did NOT change even tho the change took place after VZWwent to the tiered levels

Back