Well the battery life on this phone, is terrible.

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
I can only make it through half the day. Which is:

• Zero phone calls
  • 300 texts
  • 30 mins of web
Thats all I do, and that kills my phone. I adjusted the brightness to auto, and WIFI is off, Bluetooth off.

Help.

I experienced similar issues when I first got the phone. Do a search and you will find many ways to increase battery life.

But my experience was to load the power control widget that comes with the phone. Turn off everything when you are not using it. The main thing is to turn off sync. Web browsing kills battery the most... and syncing every 2 minutes is a sure way to kill your battery within 5 hours.

Without sync, gps, wireless, and bluetooth on, I can send a few hundred messages, talk for 1-2 hours, and browse the web for 30 min and I can make it through till the end of the day. People will say you can leave GPS, wireless and bluetooth on and it will not change consumption as long as software programs are not actively running that would utilize those services.

If you try these steps and it still doesn't work, get a blackberry tour. Those things last forever.
Hope this helps.

try setcpu

are you rooted? install setcpu and underclock using the profiles. I am overclocked now and seem to have BETTER battery life than before because when I'm not using it, it's underclocked.

Assuming half the day is 8 hours, that is about one text every 90 seconds. This would mean your screen is on pretty much constantly. That would be my guess on battery usage.

On a side note, how do you get anything done texting that much?

Change the screen to stay on for a shorter amount of time, change the refresh rates of things like facebook, email, etc to a less frequent timing. The 2 things that kill this phone's battery the most are Display and GPS, so use the GPS sparingly. That is a lot of texts in a half a day, I do say :D 25 texts an hour!

I experienced similar issues when I first got the phone. Do a search and you will find many ways to increase battery life.

But my experience was to load the power control widget that comes with the phone. Turn off everything when you are not using it. The main thing is to turn off sync. Web browsing kills battery the most... and syncing every 2 minutes is a sure way to kill your battery within 5 hours.

Without sync, gps, wireless, and bluetooth on, I can send a few hundred messages, talk for 1-2 hours, and browse the web for 30 min and I can make it through till the end of the day. People will say you can leave GPS, wireless and bluetooth on and it will not change consumption as long as software programs are not actively running that would utilize those services.

If you try these steps and it still doesn't work, get a blackberry tour. Those things last forever.
Hope this helps.

You've really had problems keeping sync on?

I've never had a problem keeping sync on. Heck, I don't think I've ever turned if off on my phone. I've got my email accounts to sync every 5 minutes, Facebook every 15, and any other little things (not many) as quickly as possible. I've never had a problem with battery life.

Granted, I don't text, but I typically leave for my classes an hour early to get a good seat, so I sit there and listen to music and browse the web. I turn on 100% brightness while walking outside, otherwise I can't see a thing when changing songs. Inside, I turn it down to 0% -- no need for any additional lighting. I browse the web for a good hour-and-a-half to two hours daily, if not more. This is on 3G too, even though I've probably got faster wi-fi in these locations that I'm browsing. 3G connectivity is still a novelty for me. I came from a dumb phone, and still remember quite well the giant brick cell phones that my parents had years ago. Just thinking about this getting me giddy, but it's great to know that you can browse the web over a cell phone connection. That's amazing. Anyways, I don't come anywhere near the 5 gig non-existent limit every month, so I feel like I might as well browse on 3G whenever I can when time is not an issue. Get my money's worth. :p

I keep bluetooth, GPS, and wi-fi turned off, and have widgets for those controls on my home screen. No need to keep them running. Whether or not they're actually battery drainers, I don't know. But I know I hate the clutter of a million icons in my status bar. :p Anyways, I have sync running 24/7.

I generally don't make many phone calls during the day. Most days I don't make any calls. I know that's a huge power drainer though.

Still, I can't see why you've had such a problem with sync, of all things. I can typically go through an entire day without charging (12 hours off the charger, give or take) and end up with around 50% battery left. :|

Last edited:
What does Battery Use say is taking up most of your battery life? Using certain widgets, task killers, etc have been known to kill battery life.

What bothers me is people say their battery life on the Droid is terrible but they don't tell you their home screen looks like this:

[video=youtube;N7otDLzQCug]http://www.youtube.com/v/N7otDLzQCug?hl=en_US&fs=1[/video]

The screen is always the big battery killer for me

Don't use auto. Set to the lowest setting

I also wonder about 300 texts in half a day. You'd be better off just calling someone and saving time. I've only had the phone a couple days so far and I also don't get great battery times but since it's a smartphone and I have a lot of apps I use it doesn't bother me. Charger at work, one in the car, one at home and it's fine. Do they make an external battery charger that you could charge up an extra battery and play the swap game? Not ideal but might be worth the look.

use auto. leave all power controls on. use your phone how you should/would.

THEN

go to: home - menu - settings - about phone

and switch between status and battery usage. you'll be able to quickly learn what is eating your battery, how much time you've had on your device and how to tackle it.

i leave everything on as above mentioned. yesterday i went 14hrs with moderate usage, phone calls, texting, browsing, wifi, game play, etc. and my battery was still at 40%.

I make it longer than you and I play NES a LOT. I'll put it this way, I started Super Mario Bros 3 2 days ago, yesterday I was on world 8, nearly to the end. My phone cut out around 10 at night last night, not bad considering I took it off the charger at 7:30am.

My battery life is what I think GREAT. Stock phone, factory wall paper, at least two hour a day talking on it, min of 1 hour on the web. I get around 40 hours from a full charge.

300 texts per day would drain any ones battery that "quickly"

That's some HEAVY texting.

You got great advice here already the only thing I will add is that you shouldn't expect your device to get a lot more battery life than what you are getting right now. The huge screen being on constantly and all the texting will drain it quickly. No getting around that one.

Back