Where's the update?

Well I have checked for the update before and it said multiple times "your phone is up to date". This just started happening so I am wondering if so many people are checking for updates that the "update server" or whatever is overloaded.

I really do not want to have to FDR my phone and go through that for nothing if I do not have to.

No, my X2 did the same thing before it recieved the GB update. Always said up to date, till release neared, then it was suddenly unavailable. Same with my Bionic, was up to date at first, then I rooted and it started saying unavailable, and now it just sits on the searching screen. So I don't think theres anything you can do about it either way, just have to wait to get the update.

Don't do a factory reset. Very dumb idea. All i did was reboot and I started getting the up to date. Then I did it again and got the spinning checking for update. Factory reset, really. People need to stop throwing this out to newbies or maybe its newbies throwing this out to others. A factory reset is a last resort for real problems. Just be patient on the update it will come.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Don't do a factory reset. Very dumb idea. All i did was reboot and I started getting the up to date. Then I did it again and got the spinning checking for update. Factory reset, really. People need to stop throwing this out to newbies or maybe its newbies throwing this out to others. A factory reset is a last resort for real problems. Just be patient on the update it will come.

You can take it or leave it, every one has an opinion.
My info was not an opinion it was the solution to the problem diagnosed by Motorola techs during the soak test.
The info was provided for a question that has been asked over & over on this issue. Since I got a definitive solution from Motorola themselves, I thought I would pass it on to help others.

If you don't agree, than fine state your opinion & reasons why you believe to be correct but don't go slamming others & discrediting there post.

By your post I don't think you even read the posts, or understand the specific problem that was being addressed.

The discussion was about getting "Check for updates is not available at this time. Try again later." when checking for updates.
Not the your device is up to date or just the constant spinning & checking for update which is what you addressed.

So before you start dishing people, get your facts right so you don't post irrelevant comments that confuse more than help.

FYI - if you are getting the "Check for updates is not available at this time. Try again later." you will more than likely not get the update push because your phone might have registered with the Server without a SIM initially, need to factory reset to reconnect.
They stated this afternoon they are starting rolling out the update tonight for the masses so when you start to see everybody updating with the OTA & you are not getting it you may want to do a factory reset.

anyways... just got my OTA. downloading now. hopefully it installs ok. i'm rooted and uninstalled some bloatware, i think i reinstalled it all when i heard about the update coming. i would rather do it the OTA way than having to do it manually. we'll see here in a few mins.

Will this work if I'm just getting the "Device is up to date" message even though I am not.

Are you stating that if it says "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later" comes up, that you have to do a FDR in order to be able to get the new update coming out???

I'm not entirely sure as I've gotten both messages and didn't have to do a Factory Reset.

As I was told when my OG Droid went from Eclair to Froyo, when you are scheduled to get an update the system pings your phone and checks your version. If it needs an update and you have Background Data enabled in Data Delivery, the update is downloaded and you have the option to either install now wait an hour. When you check for updates you're sending a request. If it isn't your turn it'll say you're up to date. If it is unable to comply with your request it gives you the "not available message."

And as I've said before, updates are RANDOM; so random that if you bought 2 Bionics the same day, one could get the update days after the other one.

I just got the update. I'm not a soak tester. At midnight, I hit the check for update button a few times and eureka!

crap. it failed to install. redownloading now. i'll try again. what do i need to check for to get it to install?

Not a soak tester, not rooted, just now checked for an update and there it was. My wife's Bionic (purchased on launch day, same as mine) got the update a day or two ago.

You can take it or leave it, every one has an opinion.
My info was not an opinion it was the solution to the problem diagnosed by Motorola techs during the soak test.
The info was provided for a question that has been asked over & over on this issue. Since I got a definitive solution from Motorola themselves, I thought I would pass it on to help others..

If you don't agree, than fine state your opinion & reasons why you believe to be correct but don't go slamming others & discrediting there post.

By your post I don't think you even read the posts, or understand the specific problem that was being addressed.

The discussion was about getting "Check for updates is not available at this time. Try again later." when checking for updates.
Not the your device is up to date or just the constant spinning & checking for update which is what you addressed.

So before you start dishing people, get your facts right so you don't post irrelevant comments that confuse more than help.

FYI - if you are getting the "Check for updates is not available at this time. Try again later." you will more than likely not get the update push because your phone might have registered with the Server without a SIM initially, need to factory reset to reconnect.
They stated this afternoon they are starting rolling out the update tonight for the masses so when you start to see everybody updating with the OTA & you are not getting it you may want to do a factory reset.

See here it comes OTA update as I said.

FDR - Factory Data Reset

You hit menu button, settings,Privacy, Factory Data Reset.
Make sure you have "back up my date checked", "automatic restore" & it has synced.
You will still have to re download any free apps that are not purchased & set up all your home screens email signatures etc.
It does no restore everything.
It does restore youe system settings though.

will this reinstall bloatware if i'm missing any?

will this reinstall bloatware if i'm missing any?

No it will not.
If you removed bloatware it will probably fail & not update until you get the phone back to stock.

added the root forever script, uninstalled some apps using titanium. thats it.

Ever since I got my Bionic I have checked off and on for updates. I got both responses when checking for updates, that it was "not available" and that my device was already "up to date." It seemed I usually got the "not available" warning when I was on wi-fi and the "up to date" notice when I was on regular data or possibly vice-vera. I just remember seeing both at various times in the last month. I got my update about an hour ago simply by checking again.

I did nothing to my phone. No root, no Factory Reset, and I rarely even reboot. All I did was WAIT!!! Then I waited some more. The OTA will come to everyone, it's only been a matter of hours, so give it some time. If you don't know what you are doing when it comes to doing a full factory reset (I sure wouldn't) then do not do it. Better yet, call Verizon customer service yourself and see what advice they can give you straight from the source.

Back