Why I returned my Ipad and why Android tablets might fail

I just bought 2 g-Tablets from ViewSonic. The could not bring myself to buy an iPad as good of a product it is I cannot stand Apple. The gtab was terrible out of the box, but after updating it, it works well. The are several great ROMs out for it. I like the fact that gtab was much more capability thab that iPad...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

The fact is....a laptop is a difference device from a tablet.....just as much so as a desktop is to a laptop.

They have different uses and will accommodate different people differently, depending on the situation.

The problem is people dont understand what they need, buy a tablet and then get mad because it wont do what they want.....well, you bought the wrong device, plain and simple.

The fact is....a laptop is a difference device from a tablet.....just as much so as a desktop is to a laptop.

They have different uses and will accommodate different people differently, depending on the situation.

The problem is people dont understand what they need, buy a tablet and then get mad because it wont do what they want.....well, you bought the wrong device, plain and simple.

^Exactly,
Know you needs and choose appropriately. For work I have to do a LOT of stuff online via a web-browser and don't need DVD, USB or anything else so a web-enabled tablet or netbook is perfect (small, light and quick). For home when I do video work (ripping DVDs, encoding, streaming media to TV ect) obviously a tablet won't do. So I use both equally.

The laptop market tablets are eating into are netbooks, not full size notebooks.

Right now it'd be tough to find ANYTHING to beat the sheer processing and video gaming prowess of my custom built Clevo 17.1" Laptop. I use it to convert movies to digital format, too.

I got the tablet beacuse its easier to carry arround than my toshiba netbook, but I can still find a use for my netbook, too. It still gets amazing battery life and its webcam is still useful. For some reason Archos's webcam was broken as a webcam in the latest update. It works with the camera app but when I load fring it tells me I can't make video calls due to hardware limitations.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Well, since the iPad was released it's sold millions......obviously a lot of people feel differently....there is quite a use for them. And sales for the galaxy tab have been good also.

I think tablet sales will continue to rise and laptop sales will go down....

Ipads are like Furbys. People love electronic toys. Yes millions of people bought them but I don't see it as a continuing trend (for other manufacturers because the margins are so low). I see it surviving only if it evolves which it prolly will. I am just not impressed with this 1st gen hardware.

first generation of anything is well first generation so that's to be expected, but they will evolve obviously, like everything else does.

And yes people do love toys, that's why your cell phone can do so much, like playing games or watching movies. And it sells and will continue too.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

My battery life has improved 200% since I got my iPad. Because I rarely even use my Droid anymore.

It allows me to do everything I want to do with it's nice 9 inch screen. When I'm moderating the Forums I don't have the difficulty I had when working from my Droid.

I still love my Droid as well, but I really only use it when I'm away from the house.

I have a 15" Mac Book Pro (using now) and I had a 32 MB iPad. I liked the iPad and used it quite a bit. My youngest son needed to replace his computer so, now, he has an iPad.

My battery life has improved 200% since I got my iPad. Because I rarely even use my Droid anymore.

It allows me to do everything I want to do with it's nice 9 inch screen. When I'm moderating the Forums I don't have the difficulty I had when working from my Droid.

I still love my Droid as well, but I really only use it when I'm away from the house.

+1, Since I started using my archos, my droids battery life shot through the roof

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Until tablets come with functions that laptops have like DVD/BD drive, USB, broad software support, I don't see much use for them outside of a toy. I'd love to have a tablet that I could run autoCAD or photoshop or something else like that on it :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

There is limited AutoCAD viewing and editing for the iPad atm. Photoshop is limited to effects and cropping, but is also free, a nice plus. Not sure if that works on iPad though, I have it on my iTouch.
And CAD systems for android are already starting to show up on the market as well.
The future, it will be awesome methinks.

Until tablets come with functions that laptops have like DVD/BD drive, USB, broad software support, I don't see much use for them outside of a toy. I'd love to have a tablet that I could run autoCAD or photoshop or something else like that on it :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

There is limited AutoCAD viewing and editing for the iPad atm. Photoshop is limited to effects and cropping, but is also free, a nice plus. Not sure if that works on iPad though, I have it on my iTouch.
And CAD systems for android are already starting to show up on the market as well.
The future, it will be awesome methinks.
it will be quite some time before tablets have the required power and equipment to do anything of value in a CAD or photo editing program. whatever the iPad has Im sure is a total joke compared to the real software I'm referring to.

it will be quite some time before tablets have the required power and equipment to do anything of value in a CAD or photo editing program. whatever the iPad has Im sure is a total joke compared to the real software I'm referring to.

That's true, but I think it'll only take a couple of years to get to the point where tablets and phones are about as good as desktops at the rate things seem to be progressing.

I guess if autoCAD is the absolute only thing you use a computer for, then a tablet would be useless, lol. I run 2 companies and couldn't do it on a tablet....but there is a lot I can do with the tablet, both work and play.

PS- tablets and phones will NEVER be as powerful as a desktop, obviously, because of the form factor, a larger desktop will always be able to pack more.

I guess if autoCAD is the absolute only thing you use a computer for, then a tablet would be useless, lol. I run 2 companies and couldn't do it on a tablet....but there is a lot I can do with the tablet, both work and play.

PS- tablets and phones will NEVER be as powerful as a desktop, obviously, because of the form factor, a larger desktop will always be able to pack more.

In the future, however, will a desktop NEED to be on a desktop?
Dun dun dun....

No, but more on-topic, I was referring to the desktops of today.

Back