Battery lasting forever!!!!

ice456789

Reaction score
it has been up for about 14 hrs and still at 90% i love this.

This is just absolutely impossible. I don't even think a StarTac got that kind of battery life.

Let's not go crazy now. I had a StarTac and I charged that thing every Sunday night whether it needed it or not.

As for my Droid, count me in the 'improved battery' category.

Acid7711

Reaction score
My battery time is horrible :( And sometimes I never even use the phone, force close everything, set my alarm and goto bed, 6 hours later 50% battery drain and it's done nothing.

No apps running or installed, I was hoping the new update would fix it.

Even before I got the Droid all I heard was excellent things on the battery life. I think I may have gotten a bad battery. I'm gonna hit Verizon tomorrow, see what they say. Maybe they'll swap me a new battery. : / I can only wish I got the life you guys did.

I even turned everything off, scren brightness to zero, wifi, bluetooth off, gps off, everything! Still drains sooo fast :(

When I first had the phone, I had aim and yahoo im installed, after I removed them it got *slightly* better....but the battery life is horrible. I was sooooo impressed by my storm 2, i went 3 days without a charge on that thing, it was incredible!

I can't wait for the extended batteries to hit these things!

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My battery time is horrible :( And sometimes I never even use the phone, force close everything, set my alarm and goto bed, 6 hours later 50% battery drain and it's done nothing.

No apps running or installed, I was hoping the new update would fix it.

Even before I got the Droid all I heard was excellent things on the battery life. I think I may have gotten a bad battery. I'm gonna hit Verizon tomorrow, see what they say. Maybe they'll swap me a new battery. : / I can only wish I got the life you guys did.

I even turned everything off, scren brightness to zero, wifi, bluetooth off, gps off, everything! Still drains sooo fast :(

When I first had the phone, I had aim and yahoo im installed, after I removed them it got *slightly* better....but the battery life is horrible. I was sooooo impressed by my storm 2, i went 3 days without a charge on that thing, it was incredible!

I can't wait for the extended batteries to hit these things!

Yeah there definately seems to be something going on. I mean i've gone like 4-5 hours before with less then 10% being taken off. It is my impression with the battery life, that you should be able to get 8-12 hours out of it with moderate to heavy usage.

blacktalon82

Reaction score
For those of you complaining about battery life, please remember that our devices are closer to laptops than they are to other mobile phones. The days of using your phone for 3 or more days without charging it are long gone. That was back before cameras were even standard on phones.

Now with the heavy use of constant data connections, twitter updates, facebooking, app store full of constantly running goodies, GPS services, a huge touch screen...you get the point.

If you can get a full days use out of it without charging at all, it has already tripled what your laptop could do. The update did help extend the battery life, but this device will need to be charged nightly...

Twoo

Reaction score
I was pretty impressed with my battery life yesterday. Sent about 10 emails, 50 texts, 2-3 hours of internet, 2 hours of games-- all that over 10 hours. Battery was at 30%.

TightLines

Reaction score
For those of you complaining about battery life, please remember that our devices are closer to laptops than they are to other mobile phones. The days of using your phone for 3 or more days without charging it are long gone. That was back before cameras were even standard on phones.

Now with the heavy use of constant data connections, twitter updates, facebooking, app store full of constantly running goodies, GPS services, a huge touch screen...you get the point.

If you can get a full days use out of it without charging at all, it has already tripled what your laptop could do. The update did help extend the battery life, but this device will need to be charged nightly...

Understood. Unless of course you're comparing it to an iPhone, or other people posting in this thread.

Ex/ Unplugged my phone with a full charge at midnight last night. The phone has been idle with no background programs running. 7 hours later my phone has used 25 - 30% of its battery with NO use.

Does that seem reasonable?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Battery is lasting longer, no doubt. I spent 39 minutes on 1 call yesterday and it didn't drop a bit. Regular use throughout the day by the time I went to bed I was still at 30%.

This impresses me tremendously. I never saw a change in battery with the Blackberry Storm. I do think this battery didn't last as long as a Storms but I believe now it's better then or at least equal to the Storms.

dayday11

Reaction score
Okay, update on a previos post. I put my phone back to factory settings last night cause my batery life was terrible even with the update. I have been extremely hard on my phone today on purpose. I have talked on it for an hour and ten minutes, sent about 10 text. I have watched a five minute video and surfed the net for about 2 hours. I am at 30%. I got up at 6:45 this morning. I feel the battery is doing better.

A.C.Sanchez

Reaction score
I definitely think my battery is worse after (manual) update. Removed from charger at 7:30am, it's now 3:00pm, and battery widget says 60%.

8 sent/received text msgs
~10-12 emails
~2 hours of music
~20 minutes of Pandora

Well, maybe my battery is actually OK. I guess I did use my phone quite a bit today. Hmm...I think I just convinced myself that my battery is fine.

TightLines

Reaction score

Understood. Unless of course you're comparing it to an iPhone, or other people posting in this thread.

Ex/ Unplugged my phone with a full charge at midnight last night. The phone has been idle with no background programs running. 7 hours later my phone has used 25 - 30% of its battery with NO use.

Does that seem reasonable?

To follow up, I listened to Pandora for a bit and sent 2 - 3 e-mails. My phone died at 2 PM... Maybe its the push weather (sarcasm)

I'm starting to think the phone is a joke because the battery life is so incredibly pitiful.

zmeflyby

Reaction score
I definitely think my battery is worse after (manual) update. Removed from charger at 7:30am, it's now 3:00pm, and battery widget says 60%.

8 sent/received text msgs
~10-12 emails
~2 hours of music
~20 minutes of Pandora

Well, maybe my battery is actually OK. I guess I did use my phone quite a bit today. Hmm...I think I just convinced myself that my battery is fine.

I think my battery life has worsened.
I have similar experiences as you.
I dont experience any loss at nights when it's not being used.
It does feel like the battery is drained more when Im actually using the phone than with the old firmware

Laurence5905

Reaction score
it has been up for about 14 hrs and still at 90% i love this.

This is just absolutely impossible. I don't even think a StarTac got that kind of battery life.

Let's not go crazy now. I had a StarTac and I charged that thing every Sunday night whether it needed it or not.

As for my Droid, count me in the 'improved battery' category.

LOL I never owned a StarTac, but I did own a Moto V120 back in the day. It was one of those "charge it once-a-week" phones. I was shocked when I upgraded to the V710 and I had to charge the thing every other day. My KRZR K1m was similar -- I'd get a day, maybe two, out of it, depending on how many calls I made.

The Droid, when compared to those phones, has awful battery life. HOWEVER, the Droid is almost as powerful as my laptop -- when compared to my laptop, it's battery life is EXCELLENT. I can get maybe 3 hours from my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525), at best. The Droid will go all day for me if I don't play games. If I do play games, it's been sucking down the battery pretty quickly -- about 20% per hour. But that's still much longer than my laptop will last under the same conditions.

I've only had the update now for about 2 hours. (It gave me the notice that the update was available early this morning, but I didn't install it 'till about 2 hours ago.) So I'm still waiting to see if battery life has improved or not.

On a slightly different topic, I'm noticing a lot of people complaining about the battery draining when they're "not using" the phone. The only time you're truly not using the phone is when it's powered off. Even then, there's a very slight drain on the battery. When the phone is powered on, and in idle mode, you're still doing the "sync" thing in the background, it's still communicating your position to the nearest cell tower, it's listening to said cell tower for incoming SMS and phone calls -- there's a ton of stuff going on in the background.

The style of network that Verizon uses (CDMA) is different from an AT&T-style network (GSM) in one very important respect: the farther away you are from the nearest cell tower, the more battery life the phone will use, period. All the power used by those background operations is doubled, maybe tripled, maybe more, if you're "too far" from the nearest Verizon tower. Doesn't matter if you're on a call or not (although being on a call will use battery faster than when you're not on a call, of course). So if you're at home, and your home is "too far" from the nearest cell tower, the Droid (or any CDMA phone, for that matter) will run itself dead trying to boost its power output to reach the nearest tower which is "too far" away. This is a drawback to the CDMA system, not the Droid specifically. So people who are suffering poor battery life, I'm betting you're "too far" away from a Verizon tower for most of the day. (And remember, just because you can see a cell-tower out your front window doesn't mean it's a VERIZON tower you're looking at.)

EDIT: I forgot -- the more people who are using your particular cell-tower, the more power your phone must use to keep its connection to the tower. So if you're in a very crowded area, but still close to the tower, your power-usage will go up just as much as if you were "too far" from the tower. This is another way your phone may be using more power than it should. And it's the fault of the CDMA system, not the Droid specifically.

Anyway, I hope this clears up at least a little of the confusion as to why some people seem to have great battery life, and others just don't. Most of it, I'd bet, is because of this particular flaw in the CDMA system that Verizon uses. Frankly, I think the advantages (better coverage with fewer towers, far fewer dropped calls -- especially when travelling from cell-to-cell) outweigh the disadvantage of the reduced battery life when you're "too far" away from the nearest tower. But that's just my opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary... :)

Last edited: