Droid 2.1 Update Delayed?

samiusmc

Reaction score
I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but is it possible that Google delayed the release of Android 2.1 for the Droid in order to bolster Nexus One sales which thus far, have been disappointing?

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's possible, they didnt release the Source Code of 2.0 for awhile, the Phone had exclusive rights to it. We will get it soon enough however :D

Last edited:

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I'm not stressing over this, it'll come when it comes. AFIK, there's nothing in the update that I'm dying to have.

Toast

Reaction score
good assumption. I guess we wont know unless Google comes right out and tells us. But from a marketing standpoint that would be a smart move. I'm not even excited for the updates...just to save myself from possible failure. I'll believe the 2.1 update when I see it...same with the 3.0 (which I still believe is a joke)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah they delayed it for some unknown reason...or maybe not? Maybe it was never intended for us yet? thats what i would say...I'm sick of waiting and being dissappointed...so, the other night I rerooted and installed 2.1 myself!! For the second time actually! I used to have all that and I reverted completely back to stock whenever it started to get closer in january and all the rumors started flying around....but now im keeping 2.1 until VZW or Motorola officially announces something or people start to report OTAs of 2.1 being pushed out...but thats just my plan and my 2 cents

pennyb617

Reaction score
Droid update

Does anyone know if the 2.1 will have voice activation for the bluetooth? I'm finding it difficult to manage without it.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think that's ridiculous. I think they are just making sure it works 100%. 2.1 on the Droid won't affect Nexus sales.

Azmordean

Reaction score
I think that is unlikely, but I am getting annoyed nonetheless. But it has to be optimized for the droid, you say. Well, sorry, but this device is a "Google Experience" device, a much celebrated label that was advertised to mean "near immediate" release of Android OS updates. Google had a hand in the hardware, no Sense UI or other customization needed, etc - all this was supposed to mean the normal cell phone BS of delayed OS updates wasn't supposed to happen. Now here we sit 3 weeks plus from the relase of 2.1 and not only do we not have an update, we don't even have an official date for it.

When Microsoft releases a windows update it immediately goes to all PCs. As a tech guru, I expected nearly the same thing with a "Google Experience" device. Instead, its cell phone "business as usual" as we sit around waiting for when Verizon and Motorola will "bless" us with an update.

So yes, I'm disappointed. If its delayed, fine, tell us that and give us a date, don't pull this "you have a 2.0 device you aren't entitled to know when 2.1 is coming" nonsense.

oshizo

Reaction score
I tend to agree with az here that was my impression. When I bought the droid.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're comparing this to Microsoft, the biggest screw up company out there who still can't get an operating system people like and that's releases updates constantly to make sure hackers don't take apart your system?

I am very patiently waiting for the update which will come when it's ready.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
There's issues with 2.1 gentlemen which have not even been patched/addressed yet on the N1.

So be patient and wait till they get the issues resolved. No use in introducing problems onto an already stable device.

pennyb617

Reaction score
I bought my droid a week before xmas. Salesperson assured me the voice activation for blue tooth would be upgraded in 2-4 weeks. So here we are. I'm loving the phone but hating the bluetooth in a handsfree state.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
hey guys I just read some tech article that was reviewing the big tech events this past week (16th-24th) and they said Verizon started OTAs of 2.1 for the Droid this past Tuesday...I'll post the link if you guys havent read yet so let me know...