Droid 4 Update

kwyrt

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the OTA update yet? I downloaded it but I'm hesitant to try it without knowing what it will do to bootstrap.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Big D

Reaction score
not getting a OTA yet. Didn't even hear about it.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I installed it. First I unfroze all the apps I froze and unrooted to see if the OTA was availble but it said my system is up to date. So i downloaded it, installed it, rooted using the D4 utility, and installed safestrap (I didnt have safestrap before). Everything is working fine just as before. I have not noticed any improvement from the update.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the OTA update yet? I downloaded it but I'm hesitant to try it without knowing what it will do to bootstrap.

U can install the update rooted bloatware frozen with safe strap and any other root dependent apps the install will work an nothing will happen except u will only lose root. All u have to do is reroot the phone an safestrap an all root dependent apps will work just fine

Sent from my XT894 using DroidForums

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
The reason I did what I did was to see if I could get it OTA since I heard you have to be stock to get an update OTA.

OP
kwyrt

kwyrt

Reaction score
Here is what I did:

I was running stock rooted with voodoo rootkeeper and safestrap recovery installed. Here are the steps I took:

1. Unfroze apps I had frozen in Titanium Backup.

2. Uninstalled safestrap recovery via the safestrap app (Shouldn't need to uninstall the app itself).

3. Backed up Superuser using Voodoo then selected "temp. un-root".

4. Rebooted and installed the update via the instructions from the link (FYI: You will need to have the update zip in /sdcard-ext, not /sdcard).

5. Rebooted and the phone shows the updated software version.

6. Restored root via Voodoo.

7. Reinstalled safestrap recovery using the safestrap app.

Success!

Big D

Reaction score
Seems like the word is that there are still the same issues even after the update. Anyone seen an improvement?

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that your phone has to basically be stock to get OTA updates. So that's not true?

Its true to a point ex. rooting, safe strap, freezing bloatware, mobile hotspot hack, webtop hack and minor system adjustments will allow a successful install but theme changing, boot animation alteration, uninstalling bloatware or any major change in the system will cause an install error

Sent from my XT894 using DroidForums