[How TO] Restore VZW Galaxy Tab to stock DJ11

mike919

Reaction score
**Support has moved. See the following link for full instructions on how to update to EC02 with root, CWR**

http://www.gizmoninja.com/2011/04/21/how-to-root-latest-samsung-galaxytab-verizon-update-ec02/

For support on the Galaxy Tab visit #androidchat in Freenode IRC.

This method is for those that may have goofed recovery or screwed up somewhere else. Credit to Koush and Deodexed for getting me the files. All credit goes to them, as all i did was do the write up :) They saved my tab with 5% battery left. LOL​

Visit www.modadroid.com for more assistance!

Note that myself and/or DroidForums are not responsible for anything you may do to your device. If you know your battery is running low, read through this and get yourself familiar with the process before turning on your tab. if your battery fails during flash process you may be entirely screwed. you've been warned.

These are stock restore files for Download Mode (Volume down and power)​

Download Heimdall from Here:
[URL="http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/"]http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/[/URL]
Also just below version 1.1.0 is Microsoft C++ This also needs installed on your machine because it has .dll files Heimdall uses.​

Launch download mode on your tab that is already connected to your PC.
unzip heimdall and go into the drivers folder where you will see zadig.exe. Run this.​

At the top you see options. Click "list all devices"
Then in the dropdown select Android USB composite device (or whatever it says). (NOT mass storage)​

Click start and let heimdall download the drivers. Once its finished, close zadig and launch heimdall front end. (leaving Tab plugged in and in download mode obviously)​

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART!!!!!! DO NOT SCREW THIS UP< I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE!!​

Unzip the stock files.​

Now its common sense.
the zImage goes in both the Kernel AND Recovery slot. (they even tell you where things go with little descriptions)
The system.rfs goes in Factoryfs
The Param.lfs goes in Param.lfs
and the cache goes in the cache slot.​

DO NOT EVER EVER EVER PUT ANYTHING IN ANY OTHER LOCATION. THESE ARE THE ONLY FILES YOU NEED.​

After you have the files in place click start to flash. ALWAYS make sure your battery is sufficiently charged or you will have MAJOR problems.​

After this runs you will more then likely boot loop. Power down, wait a few seconds and hold power and up volume to boot into recovery. (NOTE, do not hold power too long, just long enough to turn it on, then continue holding up volume till you see recovery. WIPE DATA AND CACHE. Tab should boot.

Note, if heimdall fails at the very beginning, just try unplugging and turning off the tab, close, and relaunch heimdall. it will eventually start. sometimes you just need the right combo of plugging in launching the program... Hope this helps a few!!​

Last edited:

jayhammy

Reaction score
I've gotten as far as successfully flashing in heimdall, the device reboots into Samsung, then much later into VerizonWireless. But I can't get it to boot into recovery by holding volume up and power. I've tried it several times. Gets stuck mostly on Samsung screen.
Please help!

OP
mike919

mike919

Reaction score
I've gotten as far as successfully flashing in heimdall, the device reboots into Samsung, then much later into VerizonWireless. But I can't get it to boot into recovery by holding volume up and power. I've tried it several times. Gets stuck mostly on Samsung screen.
Please help!

Did you wipe data? you HAVE to wipe data in recovery after restoring.

jayhammy

Reaction score
Please help!

I can't get into recovery at all. It's just the Samsung screen. I've held the power button and up button, release the power button as soon as Samsung appears. Still nothing.

OP
mike919

mike919

Reaction score
Please help!

I can't get into recovery at all. It's just the Samsung screen. I've held the power button and up button, release the power button as soon as Samsung appears. Still nothing.

Are you still holding Up volume during the samsung screen until recovery appears??

What did you do to need to do this? as in, what did you do to bork your tab?

you put the zimage in both kernel AND recovery slots? and everything else in the necessary places? Windows XP?

jayhammy

Reaction score
Yes, windows xp. And yes, holding volume up. Do I have to hold it up for a really LONG time? for example, it takes almost 5 minutes just for the VZW boot loop to appear after Samsung. The first time, I neglected to put zimage into recovery slot, so I did it again. Each time, though, "success" was achieved. I used heimdall 1.1.1 at first, but just now tried the older version. 1.1.0. Still same. bootlooping at Verizonwireless.

As far as borking it, I wasn't really doing anything special. updating some apps as usual. I was running bootstrapper and CWM beta. Never tried flashing any ROMs or anything.

OP
mike919

mike919

Reaction score
Yes, windows xp. And yes, holding volume up. Do I have to hold it up for a really LONG time? for example, it takes almost 5 minutes just for the VZW boot loop to appear after Samsung. The first time, I neglected to put zimage into recovery slot, so I did it again. Each time, though, "success" was achieved. I used heimdall 1.1.1 at first, but just now tried the older version. 1.1.0. Still same. bootlooping at Verizonwireless.

As far as borking it, I wasn't really doing anything special. updating some apps as usual. I was running bootstrapper and CWM beta. Never tried flashing any ROMs or anything.

No it should not take that long. I use heimdall 1.1.1. Hmm... not completely sure what is up then... if you are bootlooping you should be able to get into recovery now and wipe data... just for the hell of it, power off your tab, disconnect from PC (if it isn't all ready) and before hitting the power button hold up volume. THEN hold the power button for 2 seconds and let go of power and HOLD upvolume the whole time. let me know if that works.

jayhammy

Reaction score
Ok, interesting. It booted into recovery! So I wiped data/factory reset and then cache partition. There are a whole bunch of red errors, such as can't mount cache, etc. It hasn't rebooted by itself. Should I selected "reboot system now."?

OP
mike919

mike919

Reaction score
Ok, interesting. It booted into recovery! So I wiped data/factory reset and then cache partition. There are a whole bunch of red errors, such as can't mount cache, etc. It hasn't rebooted by itself. Should I selected "reboot system now."?

if you wiped data/factory reset that may be good enough. just reboot now yes.

getting into recovery on these things is kinda tricky.

jayhammy

Reaction score
Any other suggestions? I'm at a loss here. I've gotten twice into recovery, wiped data and cache. Rebooted. Boot loop at Verizon.
Do you think it will be good enough to take back to Verizon as stock and they won't know it was rooted? That's my main concern right now.

OP
mike919

mike919

Reaction score
Any other suggestions? I'm at a loss here. I've gotten twice into recovery, wiped data and cache. Rebooted. Boot loop at Verizon.
Do you think it will be good enough to take back to Verizon as stock and they won't know it was rooted? That's my main concern right now.

Did you flash every file altogether?? or did you do them separately?? there is nothing wrong with your tab you just have to do everything altogether... are you on IRC at all??? Try joining #koush He and Deodexed are the ones that helped me, but those are all the same files, so i'm not sure what is going on...

check your zImage file... does it say zImage or zImage.txt?? It shouldn't have an extension...