[How TO] Restore VZW Galaxy Tab to stock DJ11

Rouger

Reaction score
Does anyone have any new info? I have a galaxy tab 7 that will only boot loop. I can boot to downloader but not recovery. I was on the latest up date and tried to root. That was not a good idea now I'm stuck. the instructions in this thread don't seem to be working becuase hendill doesn't have the places to put the files as instructed.

I've moved on to a new ROM: [ROM][CDMA/VZW][GB 2.3.5 EI04+TW4+OC]Galaxy Cubed 3[Full Rebuild 11.21.11] - RootzWikilso, you need to use Heimdall 1.1.1 for these types of updates. If you use the newer versions, they require TAR files not these types.

This is another link to get back to stock.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=967175

Last edited:

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot I'm making progress but Heinmdall 1.1.1 gives me an error when I hit start.

Failed to access device. error: -12

any clues for me?

Rouger

Reaction score
Thanks alot I'm making progress but Heinmdall 1.1.1 gives me an error when I hit start.

Failed to access device. error: -12

any clues for me?
Did you go into the Drivers sub-directory and run zadig.exe? Make sure you select options, then list all devices. Should see a Samsung something (don't remember the actual name)
Once those drivers are installed, you should be able to run it with no errors. Now every once in a while, I had to hit the run button two times to get it to actually run. Oh and remember to hold the volume up button when first booting up so you can get into recovery and wipe data and cache...
Hope this helps...

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to go uninstall all the drivers from my bad attempts and start over, I got cubed running now so I'm safe and half way fixed. I don't have a connection to verizon yet but I'll figure that out tomorrow. I really thought I was screwed this time.

uxster53

Reaction score
"Slots" described do NOT ACTUALLY EXIST in Heimdall

View attachment 43123

As this screenshot shows, the "slots" described in the instructions don't even exist in Heimdall. What am I missing?

Last edited:

buddybird

Reaction score
samsung tab VZW (sch-i800) OOOPS!

OK, here is something to scratch your head about: I Did the Heimde (1.11) flashing with the stock VZW ROM (windows xp). Flash portion worked like a charm. The unit re-booted. The SAMSUNG screen appeared... and never went away. I waited a good 10 minutes. It never went any farther. per instructions, I tried the POWER+VOL to get into recovery to do the "wipe/factory reset" thing but I could not get in (I have a feeling I might not have done it correctly though). Then, per instructions, I unplugged device, waited a bit, plugged back in to attempt re-flashing and now I got this little image. I turn off the device but it comes back when I power it back on. If it is plugged in to the PC, this screen comes on by itself. Heimdel can see the device but FAILS when I try to flash. ideas?

View attachment 47964

Last edited:

JustinBuser

Reaction score
I know its been a while on this but i tryed doing this today but when i run the zadig.exe and i click on the device theres nothing there.

I downloaded the verizon boot strap from the market and the tablet stays on samsung so im trying to flash this to stock but am new, coming from motorola droid so trying to learn tablet stuff lol, any help would be very appreciated.

I had to put the Tablet into download mode (hold vol down + power to boot) and plug it into my computer before zadig would detect it. After doing this the SCH-I800 shows up as Samsung Composite Device. You may also have to run zadig.exe as an Administrator depending on how your Windows is configured.

JustinBuser

Reaction score
View attachment 50375
I got the PIT file by going to the utilities tab, clicking Detect under Detect Device and then waiting for the radio button next to device detected to be checked. Then you can click save as next to Download PIT and save the PIT file then go back to the Flash tab and load it in. After you do this you'll have the option to add Partition files, just add them as indicated from the original image with the "slots" that don't exist any more. An error popped up for me when loading the zImage file as the image for the Recovery partition but it still seemed to accept/flash it, which worked fine for me.

JustinBuser

Reaction score
I packaged all of this up into an actual Heimdall Firmware Package (not sure why this wasn't done from the beginning) that I can verify works with Version 1.3.2 of the Heimdall frontend. Firmware can be found here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By5pF101cmHZN21mUTNwUDhiRUU .

Plug device directly into an onboard (i.e. not through a hub) USB port on your computer after putting it into download mode (hold vol down + power to boot).
Run zadig.exe from the Heimdall Drivers folder as Administrator.
In the Zadig Options menu select List all devices.
In the device drop down list select Samsung USB Composite Device.
Zadig should look like this View attachment 50377
Click Replace Driver (or Reinstall Driver if that's what the buttons says)
Close Zadig and then run heimdall-frontend.exe as Administrator.
On the Load Package tab under Heimdall Firmware Package click Browse and select the Firmware you downloaded from the link above.
Click on the Load / Customize button in the bottom right.
Navigate to the Flash Tab which should now have files listed under Partitions and look like this: View attachment 50378
Click the Start button in the lower right corner.
After Flashing you may have to boot into recovery mode and do a factory reset although I personally didn't have to do (hold vol up +power to boot into recovery and then select wipe device / factory reset)
Boot normally, to bypass the Verizon Activation if you just want to use Wifi you can do the following, press VolUp, VolDown, VolDown, VolUp, VolUp, VolUp, VolDown, VolDown, VolDown, VolDown (seriously, this actually works)

joeldfair

Reaction score
Bricked Tab back to NORMAL!

Everything, followed precisely, worked perfectly. Thank you sooo much. Awesome.

I packaged all of this up into an actual Heimdall Firmware Package (not sure why this wasn't done from the beginning) that I can verify works with Version 1.3.2 of the Heimdall frontend. Firmware can be found here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By5pF101cmHZN21mUTNwUDhiRUU .

Plug device directly into an onboard (i.e. not through a hub) USB port on your computer after putting it into download mode (hold vol down + power to boot).
Run zadig.exe from the Heimdall Drivers folder as Administrator.
In the Zadig Options menu select List all devices.
In the device drop down list select Samsung USB Composite Device.
Zadig should look like this View attachment 50377
Click Replace Driver (or Reinstall Driver if that's what the buttons says)
Close Zadig and then run heimdall-frontend.exe as Administrator.
On the Load Package tab under Heimdall Firmware Package click Browse and select the Firmware you downloaded from the link above.
Click on the Load / Customize button in the bottom right.
Navigate to the Flash Tab which should now have files listed under Partitions and look like this: View attachment 50378
Click the Start button in the lower right corner.
After Flashing you may have to boot into recovery mode and do a factory reset although I personally didn't have to do (hold vol up +power to boot into recovery and then select wipe device / factory reset)
Boot normally, to bypass the Verizon Activation if you just want to use Wifi you can do the following, press VolUp, VolDown, VolDown, VolUp, VolUp, VolUp, VolDown, VolDown, VolDown, VolDown (seriously, this actually works)

BGRed

Reaction score
I feel like I've followed these excellent instructions properly twice through and am still not successful in reviving my semi-brick. My tab was/is getting stuck on the Verizon Wireless logo.

Heimdall showed successfull transfering of the firmware to the tab; but, still no successful reboot. When I try to wipe data / factory reset now, I am getting the following message:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(Invalid argument)
E:install_application_for_customer:Can't mount DATA:

We bought this refurbished from Amazon.Woot and the warranty is already expired. Samsung wants the minimum $70 to perform the diagnostics and I am not sure that we want to spend that money (maybe would just buy a new tab if I can't repair this myself). It is my daughters and I am not sure what events led up to the crash. One possibility is that she left an app open and the battery drained completely.

Any thoughts from the experts here?

etschuetz

Reaction score
Sad day

I followed the instructions to a "T", and yet, my Galaxy Tab is not getting passed the Samsung Logo. I can't even get into the recovery mode. I do not know what else there is I can do at this point. I just sent an email to Samsung seeing if there is anything they can tell me...I doubt it though. My poor Galaxy Tab :(

etschuetz

Reaction score
Tried again

Well, this time after waiting over a month, I made another attempt at this. Well, this time I get to the Verizon boot screen, but it does a couple quick vibrations and then loops. I did the Factory Reset on it, and still didn't succeed.