Moto Z Getting Oreo "In a Few Weeks"

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure, but plan on investigating when I have some time. My battery never got too low yesterday. I do use automatic DND rules to silence the phone every night on a set schedule. Could be sleep mode / battery optimization.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Well my location was on and driving mode did kick in this morning.

I wonder under what circumstances location gets turned off? Low battery? Sleep mode? Do not disturb? I think it's something like that and not a glitch.

Great news!
I can tell you I use sleep mode, do not disturb, and have had my battery drain down to zip & haven't had location turn off.
Nott sure what's causing it with some and not others. It might be a tough one to figure out.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Just FYI, this might be something to keep an eye on. I started to read my Google News feed this morning and the Google News app alerted me that my Location was set to Off. Sure enough, something turned my Location to Off overnight. If I would not have noticed it this morning Driving Mode would not have kicked in again.
Whoa! I haven't had that issue yet... Good to know.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, this might be something to keep an eye on. I started to read my Google News feed this morning and the Google News app alerted me that my Location was set to Off. Sure enough, something turned my Location to Off overnight. If I would not have noticed it this morning Driving Mode would not have kicked in again.

I've had the same thing happen a couple of times since Oreo. Mostly I notice it in my Nest app. It will tell me that location is turned off and ask if I want to turn it on again. Not quite sure what's turning it off randomly.

Soccerref12

Reaction score
First Oreo system update this morning.
1e02d350b6c30120a24e827f23df8405.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yep, I received it also. Good job Moto, keeping a phone almost 2 years old updated with security patches. Of course this may be our last one....LOL

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just saw that when you now tap the Android Security Patch Level it not only shows the current security level it opens the Android Security Bulletin site. This is either new to Oreo, or I never noticed it before. Cool!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just FYI, my Location settings remained unchanged / unaffected Tuesday night into Wednesday and Driving Mode worked fine yesterday. I received a few texts on the way home yesterday and everything worked fine.

As I wrestle with the decision of what new phone to buy this year, (either a Pixel 2 XL, or maybe the Pixel 3, or another Moto Z series, or a Moto One Power) Driving Mode made me realize that I don’t want to give it up. I’m sure there are ways to replicate Driving Mode on other phones and stay hands-free & safe. But I’m like an old dog that doesn’t want to learn new tricks. I have been using Driving Mode since its inception in 2013 and it just plain works. It has always provided smooth & consistent hands free operation with text messaging. Heck, even before Driving Mode, Motorola had the My MotoSpeak app that could be used on any Android phone and if you had a compatible Moto Bluetooth device (Roadster, HX17, HX17TXT, etc.) it would read new texts and let you respond hands-free. The old My MotoSpeak app is what became Driving Mode in 2013. I have been using some form of Moto hands free driving functionality for over 6 years, and don’t really feel like losing it just yet.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yep, I received it also. Good job Moto, keeping a phone almost 2 years old updated with security patches. Of course this may be our last one....LOL

For what it's worth, @Sajo, you may remember that I limped along with my Bionic long after it's shelf life. However, it continued to get security patches up until the day I finally retired the tired old thing.
I'm not too worried about MOTO not taking care of their users when it comes to security. The apps may no longer function properly, but it'll be current on patches

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Just FYI, my Location settings remained unchanged / unaffected Tuesday night into Wednesday and Driving Mode worked fine yesterday. I received a few texts on the way home yesterday and everything worked fine.

As I wrestle with the decision of what new phone to buy this year, (either a Pixel 2 XL, or maybe the Pixel 3, or another Moto Z series, or a Moto One Power) Driving Mode made me realize that I don’t want to give it up. I’m sure there are ways to replicate Driving Mode on other phones and stay hands-free & safe. But I’m like an old dog that doesn’t want to learn new tricks. I have been using Driving Mode since its inception in 2013 and it just plain works. It has always provided smooth & consistent hands free operation with text messaging. Heck, even before Driving Mode, Motorola had the My MotoSpeak app that could be used on any Android phone and if you had a compatible Moto Bluetooth device (Roadster, HX17, HX17TXT, etc.) it would read new texts and let you respond hands-free. The old My MotoSpeak app is what became Driving Mode in 2013. I have been using some form of Moto hands free driving functionality for over 6 years, and don’t really feel like losing it just yet.
Totally hooked on Drive Mode. I've always been impressed with Motorola phones and the Lenovo partnership didn't hurt the build quality in my opinion.
I'm sticking with Moto as long as they continue to impress me.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I totally agree Sajo. I'm in the same boat. I'll probably be looking for a new phone this year and really hate to give up all the little things about Moto that I like. What?!?! I have to open an app or hit a button to turn on my flashlight or use my camera?? That is so backward if I have to do that. I'm very likely to end up with a Moto just because of all of the little things.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I agree as well. That was the one downside to going to T-Mo. I love my G7 but I miss my Driod Z, especially driving mode. I'm getting used to Android Auto and it's almost as good but not quite there yet.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
One thing I really miss about the older version of Moto Drive?
We used to be able to ask it what's up, or to read notifications. If there was breaking news or a weather alert sitting on my phone, it would read it out loud while I was driving. Seriously handy and sadly missed.