New Findings and Fixes thread for Droid 2.0.1 OTA updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Has anyone else had any problems with doing searches over Wifi? If I'm on 3G, my searches work great, but when I change over to wifi, search NEVER works. It's like it times out or something. This is on ALL my searches.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Funny how people ***** and Complain that an OTA update is needed....Then ***** and Complain that the OTA wasn't good enough.....

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't had a negative experience with the update. however I just wanna add myself to the list of people now suffering browser choppiness. not a huge deal since everything still loads fast and displays properly.

google is aware of the issue and working on it :)

andjarnic

Reaction score
Funny thing about web browser and these phones.. including iPhone.. unless the website I am visiting is specifically formulated for small screens, it's way too hard to use comfortably. It reminds me of the days when I'd try to fix a Win95 box on a VERY old machine with like 32MB ram.. it would take sooooo long to do anything. For me, Dolphin is the only browser I can use somewhat because it allows me to zoom in and select things a lot easier than the default one. Even so, I end up fat fingering the wrong link all the time, and it's always sluggish at best, even over 3G. I really think we need 5" screens and 4G network before the web experience on these devices is usable to any extent. I do like being able to log in to my bank sometimes to check my balance for example, and I try to use it to look up prices on things when I am at one store and think I can get a better price elsewhere... but that takes so long to do usually that it's almost not worth it.

Anyway..just my opinion on the matter. I don't notice any more sluggishness than I did before to be honest.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love the internet on the Droid. Coming from BB having a webkit browser is the hsit! Loads fast and easy for me to navigate. Just noticing the choppiness scrolling... but it doesn't lag out the image so it's not too annoying

lauriep

Reaction score
I love the web experience, too. I browse non-mobile adapted sites all the time and find them VERY user friendly and easy to navigate.

I also find it so interesting that some people have had tons of issues since the update, and others, like me, had no bad experiences at all. My contacts were right where they have always been, all my apps work as they always have, the browser has a very slight lag now, but nothing even worth mentioning. What is it that makes the difference? The apps we have downloaded (I use the native home screen and messaging, no apps for these)? The way we use the phone? What????? We all have the same phone (except for the few who actually had defective handsets), so what is it that makes the difference???

juliem

Reaction score
I'm also adding my name to the list of folks that are experiencing few, if any, problems since the update. My calls are clearer, my contacts are all present, my battery life is *so* much better, my phone is faster...I'm thrilled! Yeah, the browser is a bit slower to scroll, but I don't mind it at all.

On Droids

Reaction score
Google maps used to take several minutes to 'lock on' to a satellite before the update...I have used it several times since the OTA update and now it literally only takes a few seconds to lock on.

Also noticed when using maps before the update during navigation the blue icon would always be in the center of the screen/map and now after the update the icon is always at the bottom of the screen/map...at least that's how it is on my unit.

srothkin

Reaction score
I've had a few cases now where all of a sudden some apps stop responding and I have to reboot the phone to restore it to normal. It's happened to Astrid and to the stock Calendar app. I tap on the icon on the home page (I am running Panda Home) and nothing comes up. I tap a few more times and then it says Calendar isn't responding -- force close or wait.

Reaction score
Funny thing about web browser and these phones.. including iPhone.. unless the website I am visiting is specifically formulated for small screens, it's way too hard to use comfortably. It reminds me of the days when I'd try to fix a Win95 box on a VERY old machine with like 32MB ram.. it would take sooooo long to do anything. For me, Dolphin is the only browser I can use somewhat because it allows me to zoom in and select things a lot easier than the default one. Even so, I end up fat fingering the wrong link all the time, and it's always sluggish at best, even over 3G. I really think we need 5" screens and 4G network before the web experience on these devices is usable to any extent. I do like being able to log in to my bank sometimes to check my balance for example, and I try to use it to look up prices on things when I am at one store and think I can get a better price elsewhere... but that takes so long to do usually that it's almost not worth it.

Anyway..just my opinion on the matter. I don't notice any more sluggishness than I did before to be honest.
why do you have this phone if your going to compare it to a win 95 desktop? this device displays beautiful website in full...granted you might have to scroll a lot but it is a handheld device. if you need something bigger you should buy a tablet or a netbook

Mongoose

Reaction score

You captured it perfectly...even though we hold the technology in our hands, the websites have to be compliant for that technology to work perfectly and until they are (it wont be long) we are stuck with scrolling around, checking bank balances, the DJIA, knowing we have an email with a monster attachment...etc etc...and basically playing with our latest electronic toy. A business machine or pocket PC...it aint...but it's still a ton of fun and one of the coolest gadgets out there...:icon_ devil:

jahtv98

Reaction score
Guys, I apologize in advanced if this has already been talked about here, but Im having issues with weather while on the dock. Not a big deal but it started after the update. Anyone having the same issues? If so, anyone knows why is happening? Any around solution? Thanks!

josh

Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with the update. The only real improvement I've noticed has been with battery life. And I thought it was pretty good to begin with!

My only complaints are minor and nitpicky... I prefer the old arc unlock, and I don't like the off-center clock or the font they use on the lock screen. I also miss the green buttons on the dial pad of the phone app. Not sure why they changed that...trying to look more like iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.