So you want to edit xml's or more... an ADB. APK Manager How-To (Basics)

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Odd errors. :s As for the batt icons, the 10% icons are working fine, but as I understand some smali work is required to complete the project. This was just the first step, getting the XMLs and pngs together to make sure I had this portion of it right.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Odd errors. :s As for the batt icons, the 10% icons are working fine, but as I understand some smali work is required to complete the project. This was just the first step, getting the XMLs and pngs together to make sure I had this portion of it right.
I see the strings so not sure why they are giving warnings.. they seem completely unrelated to the battery status work you're doing/// as for the smalis, hope you already know which jar file you need to look in...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Nope but know some one who does, just hope they answer the PM about it. Thanks again though!
Sounds good... good luck with the smali/baksmali...:)

stealthychief

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can someone please walk me through decompiling settings.apk then editing 2 XML files ( android manifest and values/colors)? I am trying to invert settings on gb cause I don't like all the white. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Im following a thread from a other forum on how to do this so I have a general idea of what to do, I just am having trouble seeing any changes in settings

dysfunkshun

Reaction score
Ok, I'm having some problems here. I opened BAMF Forever Cubed 1.0.7 and placed the phone.apk on my desktop. I opened up apk manager and dragged phone.apk into the place-apk-here-for-modding folder, went back and opened up the script.bat and selected option 22, where it gives me this:Choose the app to be set as current project?
Enter It's Number:
I try 1 and it goes back to the main screen, and if I try to select anything else, it tells me to select a project first. Is the problem a BAMF rom cant be modified in any way? I've made a few lock rings and tried to flash them but it either gives me a blank unlockable screen, or it does nothing at all. Im trying to learn how to do things for my thunderbolt, such as skins, lock rings, boot animations, etc.., but I'm new to this and could use a little extra help I suppose.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
buddy when it goes back to the main screen you are good. you can have multiple apps in there so using 22 sets which app you want to work on. when you select its number and hit enter it takes you out to the main screen but check the upper right corner on the script. It will probably say Current-App: Phone.apk.

Now all you need to do is decompile it, edit it and recompile it.

dysfunkshun

Reaction score
Nope, says current app: None. Should there be a list with numbers to choose from, or just assume that since its the only one I've added to be number one?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Nope, says current app: None. Should there be a list with numbers to choose from, or just assume that since its the only one I've added to be number one?

Make sure the apk is still in the modding folder. If so, type 22 in the cmd prompt (Script) window. The next screen you should see will say "-1- blahblah.apk"...type 1 and press enter....then type 9 or 10 in the cmd to decompile..

Sent from my TB using Blue Xparent DF ;)

dysfunkshun

Reaction score
Yeah, as simple a task as it sounds, something is not going right for me. I uninstalled apk manager 4.9 and reinstalled it, rebooted the computer, and started from scratch. I put apk manager on my desktop, along with the zip file for BAMF Forever Cubed 1.0.7. I opened the BAMF zip, went to system, then app, and pulled the phone.apk file out and placed it on my desktop. I opened the apk manager, opened the place-apk-here-for-modding folder, and took the phone.apk from my desktop and dragged it into the folder, to which a prompt comes up and i say yes. I go back to apk manager, open script.bat, the cmd screen comes up with numerical choices and I select 22 to select project, which takes me to a new screen to select a project, with no numerical options to choose from, I select 1 since it is the only thing in the folder, which takes me back to the cmd with numerical choices and in the top right corner under current app: none.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sounds as if you are unzipping the .apk.......had another member doing similar ...you are leaving it intact correct?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Oh and one more thing...it's a simple oversight by some (because many have the habit of just dragging and driopping between zips without actually ever unzipping the zip files for use) so it bears mentioning, make sure the APKManager is unzipped

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. Just wanted to say this is an awesome write-up. Been interested in theming a couple .apk files to better match my current set up. I have everything set-up properly and am just confused on which files I need to edit to accomplish what I would like.

I'm trying to edit some xml files in mms.apk. I want to change the background color of read and unread messages in the all threads view and in the conversation view. I may potentially want to change the text color as well. What I have found in values-colors file is this:

<color name="unread_bgcolor">#ffffffff</color>
<color name="unread_bgcolor_dark">#ff333333</color>
<color name="read_bgcolor">#ffeeeeee</color>
<color name="read_bgcolor_black">#ff000000</color>

Are these the appropriate values to change? If not, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Thanks so much and I apologize for the newbie question. I tried finding similar threads that may answer my question, but they typically just suggested a new mms app.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey, guys. Just wanted to say this is an awesome write-up. Been interested in theming a couple .apk files to better match my current set up. I have everything set-up properly and am just confused on which files I need to edit to accomplish what I would like.

I'm trying to edit some xml files in mms.apk. I want to change the background color of read and unread messages in the all threads view and in the conversation view. I may potentially want to change the text color as well. What I have found in values-colors file is this:

<color name="unread_bgcolor">#ffffffff</color>
<color name="unread_bgcolor_dark">#ff333333</color>
<color name="read_bgcolor">#ffeeeeee</color>
<color name="read_bgcolor_black">#ff000000</color>

Are these the appropriate values to change? If not, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Thanks so much and I apologize for the newbie question. I tried finding similar threads that may answer my question, but they typically just suggested a new mms app.

Did you ever get this figured out?

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Tapatalk