Theming Guide for changing system text settings.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Looks to me like your environmental variables path is wrong

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jatx2wne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
deciple have you tried swapping out the resources that apktool uses it looks like that may work.....sorry for not reading more of the thread if this has been suggested i just looked at your log

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
From The Viper team,..........I'm using an Epic 4G.........I can get this to work, just can't use my own drawable hdpi images ..............yet.
I'll get it figured out.
I know you all are using a different phone, but it's still android, so if you guys think of anything, let me know and I'll try it.
Like I've said I've gotten it to work just not 100%.
Yeah it should work regardless of the names the ROM uses, but those errors still seem like they are from .9.pngs without guides....and if you say that you got it to work in part, then I would still look towards .9.pngs not being defined causing those public xml errors...
Looks to me like your environmental variables path is wrong

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
he does have java is installed and working...

Deciple

Reaction score
It seems to me that if my variables weren't right then I wouldn't be able to do anything,
It compiles fine with a stock drawable-hdpi,
now I've tried taking the modded rom and replacing the drawable -hdpi with the stock rom to decompile, then edit my xmls, compile delete the keep xmls, hitting y again, and replacing the drawable
-hdpi folder with the one I want but it just won't take.
So.............I'm gonna try What Mbk just posted about the .9.png's see what I can do.
I have a few Ideas, but the more the better because one is gonna work.

Deciple

Reaction score
How do I recreate the guides? I have draw9patch open right now to fix the .9's

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How do I recreate the guides? I have draw9patch open right now to fix the .9's

You drag the renamed PNGs into it and you will see that it has no guides along the four sides... two sides should be mere dots (usually in the middle of the two sides), with two sides being lines, (most times full lines )depending on the images and how it should stretch... you will see a preview of how the guides would stretch the image on the right side of draw9patch...
then you save them back to the projects folder as the .9.png that it was supposed to be...

where the dots and how long the lines are will depend on what the image is supposed to do on your ROM... you will likely need to play with a couple because you probably won't hit that many perfect the first time around...but you might...;)

btw, sorry no one responded by now... I totally missed your last post

and here's a reference for you to see about draw9patch...http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/draw9patch.html

Last edited:

Deciple

Reaction score
Lol... is there a trick to get it to accept dragging images?
I have to navigate to each one each time.
If I could drag it, it would be so much faster.
Right now every time I try to drag an image it has the symbol for "you not allowed to do that".

Edit:
Never mind I just right clicked on the image and chose draw9patch as my default program to open that file and now I can drag & drop images in there.

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Lol... is there a trick to get it to accept dragging images?
I have to navigate to each one each time.
If I could drag it, it would be so much faster.
Right now every time I try to drag an image it has the symbol for "you not allowed to do that".

Edit:
Never mind I just right clicked on the image and chose draw9patch as my default program to open that file and now I can drag & drop images in there.
glad you figured it out bro, I think it was an admin rights thing on your PC, I can drag n drop no problem...
Draw9patching will take some time to learn and figure out, I'm still trying to figure it out on certain .9.pngs... I know that the top and left is supposed to control the way the .9.png is supposed to stretch and usually a dot is sufficient (although those two sides can take up to two dots or lines)... and the right and bottom is supposed to control where and/or how much of the .9.png an inlay image or text is supposed to take up...
trial and error bro, trial and error... because if the guides are set in the wrong places it will cause FC's even if they were able to recompile...

Deciple

Reaction score
Well I got it working, turns out that .9's were the problem after all.
Soooo, now I have to go through each .9 & edit it them to my liking then re-draw9patch them.....lol.....but it's fun learning this stuff.
Lol...I wish this was my job!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using DroidForums App

Deciple

Reaction score
6c6ba6c8-d011-8e9e.jpg

6c6ba6c8-d0e6-5311.jpg

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well I got it working, turns out that .9's were the problem after all.
Soooo, now I have to go through each .9 & edit it them to my liking then re-draw9patch them.....lol.....but it's fun learning this stuff.
Lol...I wish this was my job!

Cool ... I knew you would once you messed around with it.
And you'll get all the .9.pngs to stretch right, like that status bar header which should be stretching to allow the full 'Settings' text to fit, but I'm sure you'll keep tweaking it until it does...;) ... still looks pretty nice nice bro

c_hale22

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Very informative guys can't wait to get home and try all these. I have yet to be able to change my system text color without it going into a loop but there's still hope after reading this.

Tone Capone

Reaction score
I am trying to change the font color of the "carrier" text at the top. I have added the android:textColor="#ff0000c0" right after the text size info in the keyguard_screen_tab_unlock.xml file. The text is still white. I was able to change all the other text colors on the lockscreen, why not the carrier text?

Also, I do not understand the way to center text either. Right now the command reads: android:gravity="bottom|right|center" and it makes it right justified. What does the "bottom|right|center" mean?

While I am on the subject of the carrier text, is there any way to change the font of the carrier text alone without affecting anything else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have personally never tried changing the color of the lockscreen banner although I know it can be done. Without messing with the services.jar file, I would say your best bet would be the eri.xml file in the res/xml/ folder.

As far as Bottom l Right l Center goes, again, just gussing... that carrier text is probably coded to be within a certain area or "marquee". Inside that marquee it is sitting at the bottom of it on the right hand side and centered so that it's not bumping against the right hand side of the phones screen.

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Capone, what rom are you running? A lot of roms now will let you change that color. Also, to center the text you will need to throw in a "center horizontal"... Look down through the code for the lockscreen (i guess that's what you are working on??) and find the code for the "play" button. the code you will need is in that line.... Just remove the code that puts everything to the left and insert the "center horizontal" code..