Two days and my battery life experience after ICS

Reaction score
As many of you know, there isn't a real easy way to turn off 4G on the RAZR. This alarmed me because my office gets horrible reception and my RAZR used to get extremely hot at work and last me about 5-6 hours.

After upgrading to ICS I thought I would be forced to turn off mobile data unless I was actually using it. But, I figured I'd give it a try with 4G enabled first to see what impact ICS would have.

I am NOT disappointed. All day today my phone had an average of -105dbm yet my 4G never cut out (with gingerbread I'd lose my internet connection whenever my phone would get close to -95dbm). I took it off the charger at 7:30 AM and by 5:00 PM I still had 45% battery. With gingerbread my kernel would show the higest percentage used at 60% battery usage, yet with ICS the kernel only showed 24%.

I should note that I did have a smart action enabled that turned off background sync when the screen was off, but I also had this with gingerbread.

So, I have to say that any radio improvements made with ICS really did the trick for me. In fact, the only downside I've seen in regards to internet connection is that it seems to abandon my wifi connection and switch to 4G more often than it used to.

Edit: I should call out that I'm on the regular RAZR.

Last edited:

xtor

Reaction score
I still think 3g only should be an option on ics, just like gb, it's the best for me to conserve battery, they know the battery doesn't last on 4g on the razr, that why they built the maxx

sent from droid REPLICATOR

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My apartment is the basement of a garage. My walls are solid concrete cinder block, and my "ceiling" is steel with the concrete floor of the garage above it. It's literally like a bunker. I have to actually go outside to get a 4G signal. If I walk inside and close the door, it goes to 3G. My battery lasted today about 14 hours and was only down to 20%. (And that is with calls and internet and other usage)

I just got done setting up profiles in SetCPU to try and conserve battery under different circumstances. Instead of over-clocking I am under-clocking, and I will see how long the battery lasts tomorrow with the new profiles. But so far, so good. I'm very happy with the battery life in my new Razr Maxx, even after going to ICS.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I spemd a lot of time in surgery and the trauma bays of a local hospital. Both areas are deep within the hospital and for most (other than Verizon) there is very poor coverage. I usually get decent 4 g and solid 3 g on my maxx there and when I was on GB would end out a 14 to 16 hour shift (close to 18 hours unplugged) with about 50% battery left. Now that I'm on ICS, I'm between 70 and 80% and it seems like 4g is better.

David

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So far so good on my battery life with the new profiles in SetCPU ... took it off the charger at full charge, have made several phone calls, checked weather and did a couple app updates from the store, and I am only down to 90% after 3 hours. I have it set to use less CPU when the battery gets to 80%, even less at 60%, and so on down to 20%. Screen off uses the least amount of CPU. Gonna see how much it drains after a full day. :)

infg37

Reaction score
As many of you know, there isn't a real easy way to turn off 4G on the RAZR. This alarmed me because my office gets horrible reception and my RAZR used to get extremely hot at work and last me about 5-6 hours.

After upgrading to ICS I thought I would be forced to turn off mobile data unless I was actually using it. But, I figured I'd give it a try with 4G enabled first to see what impact ICS would have.

I am NOT disappointed. All day today my phone had an average of -105dbm yet my 4G never cut out (with gingerbread I'd lose my internet connection whenever my phone would get close to -95dbm). I took it off the charger at 7:30 AM and by 5:00 PM I still had 45% battery. With gingerbread my kernel would show the higest percentage used at 60% battery usage, yet with ICS the kernel only showed 24%.

I should note that I did have a smart action enabled that turned off background sync when the screen was off, but I also had this with gingerbread.

So, I have to say that any radio improvements made with ICS really did the trick for me. In fact, the only downside I've seen in regards to internet connection is that it seems to abandon my wifi connection and switch to 4G more often than it used to.

Wow i haven't upgraded to ICS yet, i'm currently at 73% after 10 1/2 hours with my GB, i hope my batter life doesnt descrease after the ICS upgrade.

neoterixx64

Reaction score
Battery life is always such a loaded concern:

If this is going to be in any way a comparison then you have to post what signal you use (4G, 3G, WIFI) and how long your screen is on. The easiest way is to take a screen shot of both battery screens.

Oh, and if its a MAXX or not.

neoterixx64

Reaction score
So far after one full day of playing with the phone I have gotten 1Day 2H (still at 15%) and my screen time has been approx 2 hrs. and 20 min on.

I am always on a 4G connection ( NO WIFI ) except when I enter into basements/elevators etc.

Disregard the small portion of charge there, I put it in the charger for like 10 min.

neoterixx64

Reaction score
I actually think that my battery is equal to if not better on ICS. Oh! I have a MAXX.

neoterixx64

Reaction score
I still think 3g only should be an option on ics, just like gb, it's the best for me to conserve battery, they know the battery doesn't last on 4g on the razr, that why they built the maxx
ht3.jpg
jh88.jpg
dh3.jpg

Download HTCOnOFF or something. It was an app for the thunderbolt.

huskur

Reaction score

Edit: I should call out that I'm on the regular RAZR.

I was hoping there would be a radio upgrade. That is good since you seem to have had the same identical issues as I have with the 3G/4G switching before ICS

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wait we can't do CDMA only in the network settings with ICS??

helron

Reaction score
Battery 4g

Soakers reported problem w battery issue. Moto sent out another survey, asking Soakers if they like battery. Forums indict hat Soakers complained. Also complained because 4g drainage, and no 3G option. If u read all forums and twitter u can find out a lot of stuff regarding testing, complaints, etc. Anyway, all anti climatic because Jellybean already here. So, shoul we jump for joy with ICS-the new OLD software??? UGH!
Just saw new ICS update on co worker phone. Cool, but Settings/network. ... I like older better. Lol