Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean? ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Reaction score
Well I can say having owned all (3) 4G LTE Phones, ThunderBolt, Revolution and Droid Charge the ONLY one that had any decent battery life with an extended battery was the Droid Charge.

That said, I sold mine last night, my D3 will arrive tomorrow boo yah and I look forward to it. I have used 4G LTE in markets around me but between work and home 4G LTE is a toss up and it won't hit until EOY.

By then we will see what I call "the real" 4G LTE phones. The ones with 720p displays and ICS and 2nd Gen LTE chipsets. The ones that will actually have battery life without an extended battery on them.

Motorola for me took way too long to get the Bionic out, I really don't want a 4.5" device and felt at this time I could be comfortable with 3G and a keyboard. I have unlimited data so I am not in any dire need or concerned about 4G later on. Besides Verizon has a lot of work ahead to get it fully rolled out and by late 2013/2014 as they push all phones to be 4G LTE and migrate off of 3G we will be sitting pretty compared to AT&T and their poor network.

Big D

Reaction score
Do we have any clarity on how difficult this thing will be to get open?

Last2No

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If "they" locked it I am pretty sure it can be unlocked. My bet is on woody and devs..:D

I don't know what locked means...... ;)

Ordered my D3 today with overnight shipping, so not sure how much work will go into the D1 this weekend while i play with that and try to get a quick ROM to the community, but don't worry the D1 is still under developement.

anyone else get/getting a D3??

You're probably going to have a hard time getting a rom out without root. Supposedly it's coming locked, and moto has patched all the exploits. Am I missing something obvious?

jweber228

Reaction score
Awesome! My D3 is on the way but I'm already ready to root it. Thanks for working on it so soon after release woody. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

localmuaythai

Reaction score
Will def donate to whomever gets it unlocked... always a plus to have great Devs working on it!

das7771

Reaction score
We need a custom recovery. Bootloader does not necessarily have to be unlocked. The droidx never was. Once we get root and a custom recovery going we should be able to flash roms whether or not we have an unlocked bootloader.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Just for kicks and to be clear, the phone with the locked bootloader(s) never had (nor will they have) a 'real' custom recovery like we enjoy on the A855, it is a mocked up recovery that's actually loaded into the same area as the system, hence sometimes called the 'bootstrap'.

earp

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
teddyearp is correct. No unlock, no true recovery.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
Thinking about a D3 but the PenTile screen is a negative to me , will have a look see at a display model and go from there .

I got a droid 3. I was like you at first, hatin on the pentile. I can see the pixels sometimes but I have grown to like it. It gives some screens a texture and it looks cool.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Alrighty then!

Lol I love the new found D3 drama, so entertaining.

Yes, it can be so. This phone has only been released fully to the wild two days ago and there is already a ROM subsection in the Droid 3 section, hosted/started by our beloved woodyman author of some pretty good A855 Roms.

But the Earp is going to go ahead and open the drama ball a bit more than his previous response in this thread. Here is the OP of this thread by our venerated author, posted 7/7/11:

Ordered my D3 today with overnight shipping, <snip>

The rest of the quote I snipped as it was irrelevant to my point. When one orders a new phone from VZW it is almost always overnight shipping, that being the case it is inferred to me that woody ordered the phone from VZW. A stock phone. The same that anyone else would receive. But then this thread goes on (and rightfully so) that this phone is still 'locked' and/or has a locked bootloader (this part I replied to). But at the end of the day, we don't even know! This phone has yet to even be rooted, yet we have a custom rom section for it? There was one who posted in this section somewhere that all the exploits are closed but all we have to do is roll it back to Froyo (2.2.x) to root it. Now how is that done with a phone that ships with Gingerbread (2.3.x)? Now a good point was raised there, that if anyone could find a leaked .sbf file, it would be Team Black Hat. That is a FACT.

But anyways, then it is inferred:

You don't really think Woody would buy an unlockable device do you???? ;)

Which leads me to believe that woodyman did NOT order his D3 from VZW, but from one of the same channels that I am familiar with for development phones, but those sources, though already partially mentioned, do speak clearly and just say, yes I will be buying a D3 development phone from my source whom I cannot name (the guys behind TBH, one of which whom I am also an acquaintance)

I don't know what locked means...... ;)

So what is it, woody? Do you have a friend (and/or a friend of a friend who works for Moto) or are you just getting the same as the rest and are going to root it with RATC or some other method? Thereby allowing us to load a custom ROM? But then, even if you are getting a developer's phone, will that help the rest of us serfs get our regular D3's rooted and rommed?

Stirrin' the pot. . . .

Last edited:
OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
well first, just to say it, I don't take this as stiring any points all valid points to point out, and I will be the first to admit as I did the same thing I made some of the comments about the bootloader, that I spoke to soon, I mean hell I was excited first new device for me since my D1. I'm not complaining by any means, but I don't make money in donations and I put a hell of a lot of time into this, as do most people, and like most I'm here because I enjoy it and I like the learning process its been a great experience for me to not only meet all the people I have from this, but also learn a great deal that I had no idea about when I first picked up my D1. We all know there are certain developers who make a sh!t ton of money in donations, I am not one of them so for me the prospect of getting the D3 was exciting and I spoke to soon and said more than I should have, as I'm sure we have all done at some point in our lives. So I understand the reason to question here it is a week after I've had the phone and its not rooted yet, perfectly understandable. I'm not a mean person I don't think I'm open to any and all criticism good or bad because it's a learning experience I learn what to do more of and what to not do, I don't always agree, but I accept the view points of others. I know of certain people who if you said something like this to they would have it deleted and not take the time to respond, and I'm sure you know that. I've been told I'm different because I don't care about what you have to say I embrace it, It's not like it's going to hurt me or you at all. I'm not here for the popular vote or anything like that as most of us aren't, and I don't look at your criticism or anyone else's as a bad thing people can read it and take what they want from it and think what they want I am not here to prove anything, this isn't my profession I have nothing to prove I'm a biochemisty major and I wish I could do more and learn more, but I'm in the same boat as most of us I don't have the time to do what I would like to. You and everyone else can take what you want from this, but I actually thank you for your remarks and I don't mean that in a sarcastic sense at all, It gives me a chance to go into detail and explain as much as I can about what happened. So now I will get into responding to your message!