Latest Update

boomerang

Reaction score
I'm having major problems with this updated rooted and unrooted. I've done this

To turn OFF future OTA updates, there is a file in the /system/etc/security folder. The file is named "otacerts.zip". Rename it "otacerts.zip.bak", or whatever you want. That will prevent future updates.

You can change that filename using ADB, the root explorer app, or a terminal emulator app of choice right on your DROID. I use root explorer because it is easy and fast. But that's just me...

but it doesn't seem to be working.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Did this update only worked right if your phone was not rooted. Everyone who seems to be having issues still are the ones that had a rooted droid

Sent from my DROID PRO

...and who didn't unroot before updating. My Droid Pro has been rooted since the day I got it. But in anticipation of the update, I unrooted the phone to avoid any potential problems. Everything went 100% smoothly for me, and the phone is running better than ever. I rooted again after the update and all is well.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I cant root with Z4 anymore now after the update. It runs like its going to root, but then just closes. And then seems to make everything lag. How do you turn off OTA? Cause i had no problem with the last update and had everything going great. Now i had to sbf everything to get the new one and now i cant root.

You can't root with z4 after the update. You need to use aRoot. Read through this thread as it's been talked about quite a bit. You can also look at this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/142797-new-update-want-root.html

jhumbo

Reaction score
After applying the OTA 3.8.7.XT610 update, z4Root no longer works. However, I was able to use SuperOneClick 1.7 instead to fully re-root my Droid Pro successfully. Wahoo!!

Any reason you used version 1.7 rather than the lastest which appears to be 1.9.1?

Also, does anyone have a comparison of ARoot vs. SuperOneClick? Why would I choose one over another?

Also, just to add another data point, I was rooted with Z4root prior to the update, I backed out all my changes and unrooted with Z4 and the OTA update went along just fine.

Last edited:

freshypepper

Reaction score
z4 would not work for me after the update. I used super one click and it worked the first try.

UWSkier

Reaction score
Four days in with the new update and so far I like it a lot. Definitely runs more smoothly and my biggest issue in the past, the ActiveSync issue, seems to be resolved. This was nearly a deal-breaker for me so I'm excited to have working email!

The thing that sucks though is Google Maps 5 still lags badly with the GPS enabled. It's terrible.

I've noticed no improvement in battery life.

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Did this update only worked right if your phone was not rooted. Everyone who seems to be having issues still are the ones that had a rooted droid

Sent from my DROID PRO

...and who didn't unroot before updating. My Droid Pro has been rooted since the day I got it. But in anticipation of the update, I unrooted the phone to avoid any potential problems. Everything went 100% smoothly for me, and the phone is running better than ever. I rooted again after the update and all is well.

I also unrooted prior to updating, for the reason you mentioned.

Worked for me.

jrtjosey

Reaction score
Has anyone received the 3.8.7.XT610 update yet and if so, what changes are you noticing and what are your thoughts on it so far?

yes and phone hasn't been texting right since! it deletes who convos before i get a chance to read the latest response

boomerang

Reaction score
Well after I formatted my sdcard, .sbf then a factory reset, oh and also creating a new gmail account my phone is finally working with the new update but still not rooted and I lost all my paid apps. This has been a nightmare. I wonder what happened to my phone that no one else experienced this???

xjcamaro89

Reaction score
Got aroot, rooted, made my freeze changes with Titamium and changing my wake up button to the space bar, unrooted, everything seems ok, ill see tomorrow after i get a full day in.

Aroot seemed to work better than simpleoneclick for me, after i finally found a program to open the aroot.7z file and expand it.

dtwalters

Reaction score
I have an unrooted Pro. I updated on Friday, April 22. So far I have had no problems with the phone and have noticed little in the way of change. I still have the startup sound :-( I have not had a spontaneous reboot. I think the battery may be lasting longer. When I spend a day in an area of marginal signal I will be able to tell better. I went from 0630 to 1915 today with 70% power remaining but nowhere as good as my old dumb phone.

DTW

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

DroidBoyJesse

Reaction score
WiFi during Call Issue

I installed the update and everything worked fine until I tried using WiFi during a call. For some reason, my phone won't connect to the internet. It worked before and now it doesn't. Anyone else have this issue?

rocket_girl

Reaction score
0630 to 1619 with 70% power remaining sounds pretty phenomenal for a Droid. I have never come close to that, even with some epically huge batteries....

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

StingRay

Reaction score
Got aroot, rooted, made my freeze changes with Titamium and changing my wake up button to the space bar, unrooted, everything seems ok, ill see tomorrow after i get a full day in.

Aroot seemed to work better than simpleoneclick for me, after i finally found a program to open the aroot.7z file and expand it.

xj...

could you provide a little detail on what you had to do...I have not had any luck using aroot, but I'm sure it's user error...following directions given but it does not seem to even be communicating with my phone when it's hooked up to usb....

UPDATE: FOLLOWED ADVICE ON ANOTHER THREAD THAT SAID TO UNCHECK THE USB DEBUGGING BOX, REBOOT THEN RECHECK....WORKED LIKE A CHARM...

Last edited:

jhumbo

Reaction score
I installed the update and everything worked fine until I tried using WiFi during a call. For some reason, my phone won't connect to the internet. It worked before and now it doesn't. Anyone else have this issue?

Just checked this and it still works for me. I was rooted prior to update, backed out all my changes, then unrooted and then did the update and I have had no issues so far (knock on wood)... only benefits. Doesn't help those having issues, but I just wanted to add another user's experience to this thread.