PDANet

techguru

Reaction score
I thought the whole deal behind, free tether....EasyTether and PDAnet were was not tracked anyways.....I tether all day long and under data usage it is 0? only time it showed data use under my account on verizon was when i downloaded Lets golf2, i had $4 for data use, I called said wait though I had unlimited, played dumb that I did not use tethering, they said how that program cost $4 so show as data, so my tethering use does not show?

They don't currently track tethering using any of these alternate applications, but it is trivially easy for them to sniff the data packets if they suspect someone is tethering and determine that the packets originated from something other than the phone. I do not believe that PDANet could successfully mask that either and am eager to hear how the developer thinks this is possible.

It would not be practical for Verizon (or any carrier) to use this method on all users, but if someone is using excessive amounts of data, more than they think a phone can generate, they could easily investigate it and prove that tethering was occurring.

If you are only doing it occasionally for urgent situations, it is unlikely that they really care, but if you are using your phone as your primary ISP and using more than 5-10 gig per month, than they may get suspicious, and by the terms of service you agreed to in your contract they can terminate your account, terminate your data plan, or bill you retroactively for the tethering. Even though their rates border on extortion, it is safer to pay the $20/month and watch your tethering usage than trying to cheat the system.

Alan

DroidStang

Reaction score
I might use less than a gig a month, I only tether when have to, to be truthful, i can do everything on my TB I can do on my Netbook and just about do!

DroidStang

Reaction score
Even with free hot spot til 15 May, i never used....no need, it does not replace my Mega Bucks costing Time warner rip off internet service, only use in a pinch so $20 a month would be robbing me for the small amount I would need to do something on a computer, but I can Bank, do insurance, email on 2 accounts, internet searchs, Navigation,....Hell my Garmin Numvi has almost became useless, the TB even shows the building in Satellite mode when driving LOL

techguru

Reaction score
I might use less than a gig a month, I only tether when have to, to be truthful, i can do everything on my TB I can do on my Netbook and just about do!

I seriously doubt that at less than a Gig verizon would do anything about it even if they knew. They are trying to stop the serious abusers, and asking Google to block the apps from the market is much simpler than doing the level of investigation they would need to in order to actually stop all "illegal" tethering.

Give it a couple of weeks and there will be other ways to get pdanet or other apps for those committed to using them either on principal (because Verizon's tethering rates are highway robbery) or for occasional users like you where a monthly plan doesn't make sense.

I have been using my free tether enough that I am considering purchasing the plan even though I consider it exorbitant. Their crack pusher free sample has had an effect, and I like having data on multiple devices wherever I am.... Of course, as a member of the Verizon Wireless Customer Council, I got a Xoom and most of my other Android devices for free, so I can throw a few bucks back at them for data that I otherwise would not feel I could afford.

Alan

DroidStang

Reaction score
Of course, as a member of the Verizon Wireless Customer Council, I got a Xoom and most of my other Android devices for free, so I can throw a few bucks back at them for data that I otherwise would not feel I could afford.

Alan

I'm sort of same boat, BB Admin and have a tether plan on my BB, which cost the company $10 a month on Verizon, free to me and plus I will now have access to iPhone and iPad soone and the BB Playbook, so i have too mnay resources to pay $20 a month.

OP
C

ccps

Reaction score
I got a response back from June Fabrics on my question about PDANet not being in the market. The tech indicated that I side load it and gave me a link to go to. Except the link is for the PC client. DUH!!! Nice support. I am waiting for a reply as to where to get it.

Natey2

Reaction score
I got a response back from June Fabrics on my question about PDANet not being in the market. The tech indicated that I side load it and gave me a link to go to. Except the link is for the PC client. DUH!!! Nice support. I am waiting for a reply as to where to get it.

Maybe the installation of the PC client will initiate the install of the Android apk?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

tropicaffair

Reaction score
I just did the PC side update update to 3.0. I have used PDANet successfully for years. After the PC side update I connected my Tbolt (USB) and no matter what setting I tried (i.e. "Charge Only", "Disc Drive", "Internet Pass Trhough", etc.) on the Tbolt it would not establish a connection. When in doubt, reboot. After that it connects just fine.

BTW, the PC side is 64-bit Vista.

OP
C

ccps

Reaction score
when you have pdanet open on the phone what version does it report?

OP
C

ccps

Reaction score
And all you did was update the PC side? And then you are thinking that hooking up the phone to the PC initiated a phone side update? hhmmm. guess I can give it a try.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
when you have pdanet open on the phone what version does it report?

It reports version 3.0 on mine.

Hey jseah. Could you do me a favor and generate a checksum for your PDAnet.apk

Just grab the app Hash Droid on the market. It will only take 2 seconds and would be a, major help. Thanks in advance.

Or... even better if you could just link a copy.

/data/app
Copy to sdcard
Long press
Dropbox
Link.

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
C

ccps

Reaction score
Success. The PC client does now include the Droid side. I ran the installer. Had it reinstall the htc usb drive. Connected phone when prompted. Indicated that PDANet was now installing on the Droid. I confirmed that I am now running 3.0 on both sides. So it seems that June Fabrics will get around the issue by including the Droid side in the windows client install. Sweet.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Nice. But can you please just generate me a md5sum?

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited: