Phone works, screen broken, can I access files?

Biznatty

Reaction score
Hello Droid Community,

First off let me apologize if this has been answered in another post as I couldn't find the answer (or understand it!). My issue is that after a drop to the ground my Droid phone turns on but the screen doesn't display anything. I can feel the touch screen working (ie. I can slide the phone to unlock it) and the keyboard lights up, but thats about all I can come up with.

My problem is that I have pictures, etc... I'm trying to get off the phone and when I plug the Droid I into my computer the removable drive appears, but I get the "Please insert disk into Drive E:". From what I recall when the phone worked I first had to unmount or enable usb tether in order to actually access information/files on the phone, but I can't currently do this without the use of the screen. Is there a way around this?

Thanks for the help/direction!

Last edited:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello Droid Community,
First off let me apologize if this has been answered in another post as I could find the answer (or understand it!). My issue is that after a drop to the ground my Droid phone turns on but the screen doesn't display anything. I can feel the touch screen working (ie. I can slide the phone to unlock it) and the keyboard lights up, but thats about all I can come up with.

My problem is that I have pictures, etc... I'm trying to get off the phone and when I plug the Droid I into my computer the removable drive appears, but I get the "Please insert disk into Drive E:". From what I recall when the phone worked I first had to unmount or enable usb tether in order to actually access information/files on the phone, but I can't currently do this without the use of the screen. Is there a way around this?

Thanks for the help/direction!

You may have to get a sd card reader and pull the sd card from the phone to access the files. It would be impossible to tell if you were mounting the sd card to the computer through the phone.

OP
B

Biznatty

Reaction score
OneTenderRebel, thanks for the quick (super quick!) reply. I already took the SD card out and put it in my new phone, the Droid 2, which isn't even reading the old card (whole nother issue altogether).

Mainly, I'm trying to get to the internal hardrive of the old Droid at this point without use of the screen. Anyone else out there over come this? Or can post screen shots with some directions on how I can do this blind?

Looking for any ideas at this point...

invdrzim

Reaction score
My wife's phone did the same thing after dropping it. I wanted to access the data on the phone to back it up.

I tried several times to get it to work. The soft-keys and keyboard would light up, but not the screen. Have you tried plugging the phone in to the charger, without the SD card or battery inserted? That actually worked for me.

Now we have a replacement phone on the way and this one is working again.. o_O'

beadon1

Reaction score
Holy Crap

My wife's phone did the same thing after dropping it. I wanted to access the data on the phone to back it up.

I tried several times to get it to work. The soft-keys and keyboard would light up, but not the screen. Have you tried plugging the phone in to the charger, without the SD card or battery inserted? That actually worked for me.

Now we have a replacement phone on the way and this one is working again.. o_O'

Sir. I owe you $200! You just saved my phone. I've signed up to specifically post this. Is there some way to* upvote* this so that other people aren't scammed into getting replacements for their perfectly good phones ?!

Maybe Google will pick it up better, pardon the jargon :
Fixed broken motorola Droid phone, working haptic feedback and no screen display. Working backlight, but no screen view. Replacement phone not necessary.

rach24

Reaction score
hey guys! i dropped my phone and now it is doing the exact same thing..keys light up, phone vibrates but the screen is completely black. i took out the battery and sd card and plugging it into the phone like you said...it just seems to be flashing red. and i dont know if i should keep it plugged in (or for how long) or take it out now and put the battery back in. im a little confused..so if you can write back and tell me exactly what to do id really appreciate it! thank you!

rach24

Reaction score
hey guys! I dropped my phone and now it is doing the exact same thing..keys light up, phone vibrates but the screen is completely black. I took out the battery and sd card and plugging it into the phone like you said...it just seems to be flashing red. And i dont know if i should keep it plugged in (or for how long) or take it out now and put the battery back in. Im a little confused..so if you can write back and tell me exactly what to do id really appreciate it! Thank you!

it worked!!!

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Mine started doing this today out of the blue. Nothing was dropped or slammed or anything. When I plug it in the M logo pops up and then nothing else. It just stays that way and never boots up. The red light goes on and the phone never boots passed the M. Please someone help. Anyway to get into recovery from this point? Thanks

Aquaman791

Reaction score
can you tell me what you did...

it worked!!!

Hey Rach24. You seemed confused about how long to keep it plugged in, whether to put the battery pack back in after plugging it in, etc. Then you posted that it worked for you. I'm happy to hear it, but can you tell me exactly how you did it? The same thing is happening with my droid 1, the screen doesn't work. The soft keys and the key board light up as well as the backlight on the screen, but no touch screen at all. i tried plugging the phone into the charger without the battery and sd card... nothing. i can hear the sound of the phone booting up. so if you could tell me exactly what you did to get yours working again, i would really appreciate it. thanks!

• :)

AWSilver

Reaction score
Same Boat....

Hey Rach24. You seemed confused about how long to keep it plugged in, whether to put the battery pack back in after plugging it in, etc. Then you posted that it worked for you. I'm happy to hear it, but can you tell me exactly how you did it? The same thing is happening with my droid 1, the screen doesn't work. The soft keys and the key board light up as well as the backlight on the screen, but no touch screen at all. i tried plugging the phone into the charger without the battery and sd card... nothing. i can hear the sound of the phone booting up. so if you could tell me exactly what you did to get yours working again, i would really appreciate it. thanks!
  • :)
Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you...powers up boat no touch screen. Any luck with figuring out how to get it going like the others?

YouthQuake

Reaction score
Any luck with this? My phones now doing the same thing. I would hate to buy a replacement.

rvcjew

Reaction score
i dont have my phone by me right now( and its now my old one so take this with a grain of salt but...) take everything out of the phone, plug it into the charger put in battery turn on phone with u see the m pull out the battery, os should boot with lockscreen saying battery error or something like that. make sure to post back your result.

monadroid

Reaction score
Phone Broke can access files

You can access files by plugging into your pc and viewing folders. You should be able to access your pictures.

tysam93

Reaction score
screen doesnt light up

My phones screen randomly went black today. I turned it off than back on and the motorola startup circle showed up but off center and to the side of the screen? so i took out the battery and tried it again this time the motorola symbol was split in half, half of the circle on one side of the screen, and the other half on the other side of the screen. Touch screen still works because when i go to drag that thing to unlock it it vibrates, it still vibrates when i get a text, keyboard lights up, home keys light up....but screen wont. ive taken out my battery a million times and tried plugging it into the charger without the sd card or battery and that didnt work... so any suggestions?