Who's planning on picking up the Droid 3?

rushmore

Reaction score
if it had LTE it would be a no brainer.
id buy it on launch day.
but with the lack of 4g, and with the pentile screen, im thinking of waiting

ive had both the droid 2 and og.i dont understand why they are sabotaging themselves with this. im actually considering switching to sprint because i really really really would prefer a qwerty keyboard.

Seems counter-productive if LTE is the litmus. Sprints data coverage in that regard is very weak and even their 3G is not very good. Most areas for our company phones is 2G roaming courtesy of VZW towers.

Would not hurt to try the D3 out. We are about a year away and another LTE chip generation away from stable and more power conservative 4G.

FyrJammer

Reaction score
I'm conflicted D3 or Bionic...
Me too. It's hard to decide. I like the droid but the bionic has better feature including 4G. I'm not hot on the hype of 4G just yet, but having the bionic may help me adapt. :icon_rolleyes:

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Any word on the bootloader? Moto is really getting left behind because of this with ROM builders and themers... Especially when all the other devices are pretty easy to open up.....

Droidrage729

Reaction score
Can someone answer a few questions about the d3. One will it have the same CPU as the bionic as well as the same amount of ram? I have a dx now and don't have issues with it but I like the 4 inch screen and front facing camera . I get the impression the d3 is similar to the bionic. That being said the d2 was suppposed to have the same CPU as the x so I got my wife one and it was laggiest phone I've used I mean terrible I hated it she hated it. I just don't wanna get got by vzw again.

grinchy

Reaction score
I love my OG Droid so much I may just go to the droid 3 :) could care less about 4g right now....love the keyboard!!!! cant type for crap w/a touch screen...lol

Droidrage729

Reaction score
I could care less about 4g my sister hands a 4g device and half the time it doesn't work. and when it does it destroys the battery life. not sold on 4g so its not an issue.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
People have been mentioning the nexus prime. I am almost positive that it will not be on Verizon.

Sent from my fascinate

Tepes

Reaction score
People have been mentioning the nexus prime. I am almost positive that it will not be on Verizon.

Sent from my fascinate

I only mentioned it because the early report on the next possible Nexus phone was that it would be 4G LTE which I assumed meant Verizon. That's not neccessarily the Prime, but there was an article put out here on the forum about a possibly November realesed, 4G LTE, Nexus device. And I've really been wanting a subsidized Verizon Nexus phone :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it will be on att. I am not sure if this is correct but I think atts upcoming network will also be called lte.

Sent from my fascinate

Tepes

Reaction score
Arg! When is big red gonna get me a Nexus :(

Raptor007

Reaction score
Can someone answer a few questions about the d3. One will it have the same CPU as the bionic as well as the same amount of ram? I have a dx now and don't have issues with it but I like the 4 inch screen and front facing camera . I get the impression the d3 is similar to the bionic. That being said the d2 was suppposed to have the same CPU as the x so I got my wife one and it was laggiest phone I've used I mean terrible I hated it she hated it. I just don't wanna get got by vzw again.

The D3 will have TI dual-core 1 GHz OMAP4430 CPU and the Droid Bionic will have a TI dual-core 1 GHz OMAP4460 CPU so its get the beefier CPU, but still both are really screamers anyways. Fortunately neither gets Tegra2 and crappy memory allocation which the DX2 suffers from (poor memory mgt).

The 4" pentile screen is the same one as the Atrix and having seen it I actually prefer having a smaller display. 540x960 on 4" vs 540x960 on 4.5" which one is going to have the advantange on PPSI.

No one has seen the final design of V3 of the Bionic so I its unknown but I think the Bionic will be thinner or nearly the same.

Memory 512MB (rumored) DDR2 memory vs 1GB of RAM, but the Bionic will need that 1GB for the crappy Web Top Dock.

3G vs 4G is really an issue of coverage. Do you have it today, will you get it in 6,12 or 18 months. Do you travel internationally and would benefit from GSM (droid3 has it, bionic doesn't).

Raptor007

Reaction score
I have had the ThunderBolt and kept it for 5 weeks and got tired of poor battery life, lock ups, reboots required to get it from being locked up etc. I tried the Revolution but I had dead pixels and honestly that hasn't happened since the early part of 2000 on WinMo phones, it went back. I have the Droid Charge, and SAMOLED+ displays are simply awesome, but the lack of internal storage is a limiting factor for me. I have nearly everything on my SDcard and that is a PITA.

I am leaning heavily towards the D3, and it was driven home today by one simple thing. I was actually out shopping and wanted to check something online while I was at the store. Using any smartphone with an onscreen keyboard in a PITA, it takes up 90% of the display to type, then the autocorrect comes up, you can't see what your typing it was more aggravation that it was worth. I realized if I had a physical keyboard I could actually type with the full display at my disposal, something I haven't had in a long time and something that for me is worth it.

Now I will get a 4G LTE phone, but I am willing to wait until next spring/summer when the ICS phones that are all display, no physical or capacitive buttons and are truly worth getting. When we get phones with Quad cores, 720p displays and battery life that can actually be worthwhile then its worth getting 4G LTE. If you can't get through the day due to phone lockups, and dead batteries then its not worth upgrading, yet.

So I guess my answer is yes, I will be calling in once its announced to place my order.

Reaction score
I'm getting it with my upgrade. Then with my mom's upgrade I'm getting the Bionic and giving her the Droid. Then with my dad's upgrade I'm getting the Nexus Prime. Perfect solution, though I may well keep D3 if I like it enough, because I REALLY like having a physical keyboard.

I assume you pay for your whole family, or they don't care what phone you "choose" for them?

Good God man haha

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
I plan on getting this once its available in my area. Been waiting to use my upgrade for the past 3 months. lol

I don't care that its not LTE capable, I just love my OG Droid and this will be the one phone I'll allow to replace my baby. I'm mainly looking forward to seeing what Dev's will do with it. :)

rushmore

Reaction score
Certainly in my top 4. Still eyeing the Xplay but waiting for a confirmed root on that. Also want to see the Bionic and some more specs on the Nexus (Prime?).

Best to avoid the Play, unless old school gaming is 90% of your intent- the gamepad is the only standout.

Has low app storage that even apps2sd will not save for long. D3 will have about five times the space.

OMAP 4430 is a MUCH better chipset than the Snap single core.

Play display is weak.

Play has zero internal media storage, but the D3 should have at least 12gb.

The keyboard should semi compensate for gaming.

Last edited: