Any tips to get the most out of Google Now?

Maybe you never heard of someone getting their house tracked back to through their phone, I've seen it happen to a friend. Yes phones are more valuable and sought after now and an easy resale, but you never know what information they'll grab before they flip it. If you don't feel the need to designate your home location to somewhere else then you don't have to, I'm just handing out some advice. As it has happened to someone I know, I definitely don't want to go through what they went. They took their phone, some things at home after staking it out and figuring out their schedule, and more importantly their peace of mind. Yes they had their phone deactivated and everything as soon as they found out they lost it, but it was too late by then, and this was all within a half hour span from the loss of the phone to reporting it lost. Also, many people don't use a PIN to protect their phone, I don't use one myself. For people who use their phone as much as I do, it's cumbersome to have to keep entering a 4-digit number just to check some quick things, a simple swipe to unlock is far easier for myself and many others.

Yes I'm concerned about them flipping through my e-mails, but I rather have them flip through my e-mail than go through ever single drawer or cabinet in my home.

I'm not trying to get into an argument with anyone, just handing out some advice. Whether anyone here decides to take that advice is up to them. I'd also recommend getting an app, such as SeekDroid, where you are given full control over your phone through your internet browser or text message (from another phone of course).

I'm not arguing. I just don't understand. A simple Spokeo.com search will reveal a LOT more than your lost phone ever will.

Also, first tenet of security: "it's cumbersome to have to keep entering a 4-digit number just to check some quick things" is the same thing as "it's cumbersome to have to keep pulling my keys out to lock my door just to go to the corner store". Of course it is - that's the point. You inconvenience yourself for a few seconds and gain at least some security and peace of mind in return. No, it won't stop a determined thief. But it's better than not bothering.

Like you, I'm just handing out advice. Lock. Entering a pin takes 2 seconds at most.

Since the topic is steering in this direction... I'll add this... I agree with the market of stolen phones being high as hell... what gets me is the people on ads basically saying they buy stolen phones by cracking the old I buy used phones bad esn is OK...they flash them to wherever...this should be illegal as its encouraging theft......just saying...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

revelated said:
I'm not arguing. I just don't understand. A simple Spokeo.com search will reveal a LOT more than your lost phone ever will.

Also, first tenet of security: "it's cumbersome to have to keep entering a 4-digit number just to check some quick things" is the same thing as "it's cumbersome to have to keep pulling my keys out to lock my door just to go to the corner store". Of course it is - that's the point. You inconvenience yourself for a few seconds and gain at least some security and peace of mind in return. No, it won't stop a determined thief. But it's better than not bothering.

Like you, I'm just handing out advice. Lock. Entering a pin takes 2 seconds at most.

And remember that we are in the nexus forum... use facial recognition.

I use it and love it,be sure to use the improvement feature and take several angles and lighting conditions shots.

I literally pick up the phone and as soon as I point it at my face it unlocks.

How hard is it to look at your phone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

This thread is taking a turn down the wrong way.

Any more tips Google now? I'm still not impress with it.

So far the things I like about Google Now are:

If you add an appointment into you calendar and actually fill out a legit location for the appointment, it will notify you when you should leave from your current location based on how far away it is and what the traffic is like.

If I search for a business or address or something on Google, I'll find a notification on my phone letting me know how long it will take to get there, again, based on traffic, and the ability to navigate there.

I also like the constant weather notification.

I don't have a use for public transit, travel, sports, etc., but I like all the navigation features. The voice search is also nice if I'm driving.

I tried to tell it verbally to add appointment on July 19 at certain time but it just add the appointment to today. :/

revelated said:
"Set a reminder for July 19th at <whatever time> to <whatever task>"

Works every time for me.

This is setting a clock reminder? I want to add an appointment to the calendar. I must be doing it incorrectly if you are able to set your calendar.

This is setting a clock reminder? I want to add an appointment to the calendar. I must be doing it incorrectly if you are able to set your calendar.

It's not going to do that.

What you want is to be reminded of an appointment. The alarm gives you a reminder. You get the same thing.

I know what ntrd wants, it's just not available as a built in feature. I'm sure we'll see it in an update, but for now it won't make appointments. I really wish it could make appointments, but I guess those "reminder alarms" aren't bad. I rather see it on my calendar instead of the alarm clock though.

Thanks. I didn't know the feature wasn't there. I actually need it on a calendar since I have multiple appointments and constantly look at my calendar to add delete move appointments/meetings. Cant imagine my alarm clock with reminders. It will be full and won't know which is which. Lol.

When sending a text in google now with speech reconginition i find that it will set up the text message but it won't send the message. Anyone know a trick or tip to use the speech recognition to send the text message fully, not just writing it.

Thank you,

When sending a text in google now with speech reconginition i find that it will set up the text message but it won't send the message. Anyone know a trick or tip to use the speech recognition to send the text message fully, not just writing it.

Thank you,

I'm guessing it's like that on purpose so that you can proofread the text before you send it to avoid mistakes.

I'm guessing it's like that on purpose so that you can proofread the text before you send it to avoid mistakes.

That makes sense. I've also just discovered that mine isn't sending the text when I hit send. the message disappears but there is nothing in my outbox for texts and the person never receives it. Any help with that?

I'm noticing that my Google now weather info or any other info is no longer located in my drop down notifications. However I have a few cards showing in Google now. Is this something new with the ROM or is anybody else experiencing this? I'm running Jelly Belly v3.5.

Back