crappy battery after OTA

Try this

I bought my Fascinate 10 days before the iPhone release. I have had battery problems ever since. I have been into my Verizon store six times. They have:
1.replaced the battery, with no difference.
2.moved Active Apps to my home page so I could track when pgms. are running. I end all apps the minute I'm done with them.
4.Re-set to factory
3.Checked to see that all my settings are properly set
4.I had them remove any non-standard apps and I only had a couple including Angry Birds and Expensify
5. checked to make sure there aren't things running in the background that I can't see, I had them remove anything I didn't need but seems like they were all things the fascinate needed.

I have WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS turned off. I use bluetooth occasionally to transfer a photo or two but then turn it off.

One night I had a fully charged battery, set my alarm and 8 hours later the battery was too weak to ring

Then Verizon store people told me that it isn't unusual to have to charge the fascinate everyday. Yes, but I don't expect to have to charge it "within" a day, like when I leave at 8 a.m. I don't expect it to be practically dead when I get home at 5. They asked if I didn't have a car charger. I said of course I do but I don't expect to be charging the phone every time I'm not using it. Makes it a little inconvenient for a cell phone that should be on my person at all times.

I'm having an iPhone delivered today and will try it out for 14 days. If the battery isn't any better my next option is to have them send me a new Fascinate, which they are willing to do.

BTW, I am in the process of trying Lionz fix.

This is crazy. I LOVE this phone with the exception of the battery life which is a huge issue. But, it would be really nice to actually be able to use some of the nice Fascinate features.

I would still suggest the following:
1. Turn off MOBILE DATA unless using it.
2. Turn off AUTO ROTATION unless really need it.
3. Use a BLACK WALLPAPER
4. Some suggest turning off screen locker (I use one)
5. I use Juice Defender Ultimate to manage my wifi and mobile data - on sched 30 min intervals (to check emails). Connection is off rest of the time unless I activate it. Scheduled NO DATA at night so I can leave phone on for alarms in the morning. This program also allows me to have data off when my screen is on unless I activate it. I LOVE JUICE DEFENDER ULTIMATE
6. I also Autokiller Memory Optimizer in conjunction with Juice Defender and Juice Plotter. I just have the Autokiller on it's default as my phone is not rooted.
7. I don't have Facebook syncing in background - I manually check. I don't have my contacts syncing after the first initial add to my phone book.
8. Use only one homescreen.
9. Keep widget use to a minimum.
AND...
10. Recalibrate your battery
- Let it completely die, take out of phone, press/hold "power" button for 1 minute.
- Plug into charger and charge completely while powered OFF.
- After it states full, take out battery and press and hold "power" button for a few seconds.
- Put battery back in and "bump up" charge until it says full. It should only need a few more minutes to get to full 100%.
- Turn on phone and dial *228

I'm going by memory here but you can search for recalibration tips that do help reset batteries. It helped me.

Good luck!

Can we sticky this thread??? Lots of great tips in here and several different issues discussed?

Battery

Thank you so much, Jenaht. I will try all those things because I have found the Fascinate so easy to use and I love the big screen so I really don't want to change to an iPhone.

Thank you so much, Jenaht. I will try all those things because I have found the Fascinate so easy to use and I love the big screen so I really don't want to change to an iPhone.
I really hope you see some improvement.
I did. For example, last night phone was fully charged and I left on all night (for my alarms in the morning). Still at 91% when I got up 6 hours later. There was no data going on during the timeframe I'd scheduled. No schedule checks -NOTHING.
I just now plugged it when I had about 6 hours left (it's 1pm PST) because I'd been heavily using at work. But we're talking....? Turned on for...? 14 hours? [Although probably shouldn't be using so much at work...]

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
Excellent post, Jenaht!

I would only add: if you aren't taking calls during sleeping hours, use Airplane mode - it shuts off ALL wireless communications, you can still use alarm clock, and and anything else not requiring net/phone services to operate.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Quite right, AllforNaught.
Airplane mode is good for that too! :D

I did the battery pull *228, got rid of 3 screens, stopped facebook from syncing contacts, and used the black wallpaper and my use has increased exponentially. thank you to everyone who added ideas to this thread.

I did the battery pull *228, got rid of 3 screens, stopped facebook from syncing contacts, and used the black wallpaper and my use has increased exponentially. thank you to everyone who added ideas to this thread.

Great news!

So I had the battery issue as well after the OTA update, I went and did everything on here. After I did the factory reset is when all of problems accured. Now I am getting sticky buttons, no profile picture for anything except under the contacts fab and none of my ringtones worked after installing the old app? Also I am running extreamly slow after all of this was done. Any ideas?

So I had the battery issue as well after the OTA update, I went and did everything on here. After I did the factory reset is when all of problems accured. Now I am getting sticky buttons, no profile picture for anything except under the contacts fab and none of my ringtones worked after installing the old app? Also I am running extreamly slow after all of this was done. Any ideas?

I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean exactly? Contacts Fab? What old app did you install for ringtones? Are you running stock Fascinate now with Froyo or a rooted one? I'm trying to ascertain how to help

I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean exactly? Contacts Fab? What old app did you install for ringtones? Are you running stock Fascinate now with Froyo or a rooted one? I'm trying to ascertain how to help

I am running the stock Facinate, this all happend after the froyo and the factory re-set when you hit the contacts button (FAB- Fast Action Button) the profile pictures show up next to the names. When i receive a phone call they no longer show. As far as ring tones go I was always able to download the app from the market place and they would show back up again now they do not. Also the buttons (all the buttons) stick. There is anywhere from a 1-3 second delay in the after action of pushing them. I tried the battery pull and reset that did not work I assume I am doing somethinf wrong.

I honestly don't know what to say. This may be out of my league except to suggest going through the reset process again. Our contact VZW...

My phone isn't rooted and since Froyo the battery has been getting ridiculously hot. I'm in the passenger seat in a car using a charger and the battery is 105 F according to a coupple of battery apps. This happens when I use my normal charger or watch HBO Go as well.

Mine has always gotten hot if it is plugged in and im doing anything on it for more than a minute or two.

For the last three posts: this thread is for people experiencing poor battery life, and potential means for correcting it.

Maybe start another thread on battery heat and other concerns.

Back