[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 [BETA] (DX) (8/19)

Question!

The real ICS has a native app killer / multitasker built in by holding down the home button right? When i hold down the home button with this rom its only a recent apps manager. I believe Gummy has the multitasking feature. Is there one within this rom, or is it being worked on, or not possible? just wondering. Thanks!

Holding home on CM9 is exactly how the multitasking on my Xoom works and it's running stock Android 4.0.4.

So I'm having issues updating to CM9. To start with, my phone received the ota .621 update, but then I downgraded to the Milestone X 4.5.604 and rooted using zergrush following the directions at droidxforums. I downloaded the 4/24 update to CM9, but whenever I try to install it using CWM ROM Manager, I get an error message during the package verification stating:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed

I have performed a md5sum check on both the file I downloaded and the version that I copied to my sd card and verified both copies match the md5sum stated by the OP. I cannot figure out what's going wrong and preventing me from updating to ics... Any help would be much appreciated!!

charles

Don't install using ROM Manager. Instead, copy the file to your sdcard, bootstrap recovery using the Droid 2 Bootstrapper, and install from the bootstrapped ClockworkMod recovery. I assume you could also select "Reboot Recovery" from ROM Manager if you'd like too. Make sure you flash the Droid X 2nd Init recovery from ROM Manager if you decide to go that route.

Don't install using ROM Manager. Instead, copy the file to your sdcard, bootstrap recovery using the Droid 2 Bootstrapper, and install from the bootstrapped ClockworkMod recovery. I assume you could also select "Reboot Recovery" from ROM Manager if you'd like too. Make sure you flash the Droid X 2nd Init recovery from ROM Manager if you decide to go that route.

Thanks for the advice - I actually found an apk for Droid 2 Bootstrap last night and gave that a try after posting my question... Worked like a charm. Up and running CM9 smoothly now.

If I'm not mistaken the recent tasks is a live app manager as well. When you hold home down and see the previews you can slide them to the left or right and kill the task.

That is how it appears to work but it seems that swiping over just removes a recently used app. For example if I was running my music app and then proceed to swipe it off the list it would remain running after swiping it off. I is not a app killer or multitasker.

That is how it appears to work but it seems that swiping over just removes a recently used app. For example if I was running my music app and then proceed to swipe it off the list it would remain running after swiping it off. I is not a app killer or multitasker.

Does it work with other apps? Google Music really just front ends to the phone's media manager, so you may be actually killing Google Music while the media process is still running.

Does it work with other apps? Google Music really just front ends to the phone's media manager, so you may be actually killing Google Music while the media process is still running.

well what should i expect it to work with? i would expect it to kill processes. it doesnt work with the browser or gmail. i will try and confirm tomorrow if it does or doesnt kill any tasks.

13th angel if you are reading this and have time if you could clarify maybe? or someone who knows about this?

well what should i expect it to work with? i would expect it to kill processes. it doesnt work with the browser or gmail. i will try and confirm tomorrow if it does or doesnt kill any tasks.

13th angel if you are reading this and have time if you could clarify maybe? or someone who knows about this?

There is a setting to long press the back button to kill the current app. I use that and it works. Is that what you're looking for?

Swiping the apps left or right will kill the app, not the process. If you are listening to music and then swipe 'Music' away, then it will kill the music app, but it will keep the process running. The process plays the music even when you are not on the app. I am not sure if it clears the app out of the memory, I don't think it does.
If I am wrong, correct me.

Swiping the apps left or right will kill the app, not the process. If you are listening to music and then swipe 'Music' away, then it will kill the music app, but it will keep the process running. The process plays the music even when you are not on the app. I am not sure if it clears the app out of the memory, I don't think it does.
If I am wrong, correct me.

Music playing would be a service, it wouldn't die by swiping it.

prime said:
Music playing would be a service, it wouldn't die by swiping it.

Thanks, that's what I meant. I'm using the wrong terminology. :)

So first off, I am on .621 and debating using the Linux CD method to go to Milestone X .604 and then installing CM9. A couple questions for you:

1) Is there a reason you can only use Droid 2 Bootstrap instead of the Droid X Bootstrap? (I already bought Droid X Bootstrap a while ago)
2) Is it a correct assumption that once I go to Milestone X, I can't ever get back to stock Verizon .621?
3) Can most/all GB ROMs be flashed once I am on Milestone X?

Thanks in advance!

So first off, I am on .621 and debating using the Linux CD method to go to Milestone X .604 and then installing CM9. A couple questions for you:

1) Is there a reason you can only use Droid 2 Bootstrap instead of the Droid X Bootstrap? (I already bought Droid X Bootstrap a while ago)
2) Is it a correct assumption that once I go to Milestone X, I can't ever get back to stock Verizon .621?
3) Can most/all GB ROMs be flashed once I am on Milestone X?

Thanks in advance!

1) The Droid X bootstrap was broken when the DX updated to GingerBread. You can download both for free outside the market. The market links were intended to be donations. Note that when you install CWM through this method, it will be an outdated version (unless I just have an old version). I don't have a link to the app atm, but a Google search should do the trick.
2) No. There is an sbf file available for the .621 update. You can flash this through either the linux or windows methods. When you flash to the MX .604, however, you MUST use the linux version. This is because the linux method does not flash the radios. IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update! - Droid X - RootzWikiThis link should provide all the info you need. You may need to read through the whole forum to really understand what is going on. Last I checked, there were some new developments that were not on the OP, but I don't think those apply to you since they are regarding moving from .605 to .621.
3) The issue isn't the MX's .604 vs DX's .621. The issue is obtaining root. This is the ONLY reason why you need to flash to a MX ROM. There is a zip out there that will take you from a rooted .604 (MX) to full (rooted) .621 (DX). That should be in the link above. I recommend flashing that before doing anything else. Once you are rooted (on either .604 or .621), you can flash any 2nd-init ROM (all ICS builds are 2nd-init) without any modifications. You can flash a 1st-init ROM (is that even the right term? I'm not sure) with some modifications to the zip. Here is a link to some pre-moddified zips:
[ROMS] Multi-ROM Thread - Blur-Based ROMs for those on .621/.604! - Droid X Development - RootzWikiYou may want to read through that forum as well to fully understand the caveats.

If you chose to use CM9 on .621, report back how well it is working. I am still on .605, but I am considering to update to .621. I am especially interested to know if the BT phone audio still works. It SHOULD because it was fixed by using the .621 binaries, but stranger things have happened.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that all out. I think I have a pretty good handle on what I am doing now, so I will definitely report back how things are working on .621 since I do plan to flash CM9. No BT audio is a deal breaker for me, so I will be testing that out first thing.

Thanks again!

Back