Droid Razr is World Wide Phone!!

Yes, that's why I want to know what bjorn65 finds out (and where s/he got his code from). If it's from a third party, I wouldn't be surprised if their systems can generate an unlock code for a Motorola MEID even if it cannot be used.

There is a dual-mode chip in the Droid RAZR (according to the tear-down) but there was also one in the Verizon iPhone 4 (before the 4s) and as far as I know, no-one found a way to use GSM on that phone.

Yes, that's why I want to know what bjorn65 finds out (and where s/he got his code from). If it's from a third party, I wouldn't be surprised if their systems can generate an unlock code for a Motorola MEID even if it cannot be used.

There is a dual-mode chip in the Droid RAZR (according to the tear-down) but there was also one in the Verizon iPhone 4 (before the 4s) and as far as I know, no-one found a way to use GSM on that phone.

I got the code from a 3rd party. Will it work I do not know? I was informed by Motorola the same stuff they told you. I was told by the company who gave the unlock code put in a sim that it is not designed to take then put in the unlock code.

Now best case scenario I was told the phone was not designed to work on any USA GSM network? So do I try this while in England? I just wrote them right now and am waiting a response.

Worst case is it does not support GSM, and I get my $29 back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

The iPhone 4 was different.
It *WAS* a CDMA phone with a radio that supported GSM. The whole GSM infrastructure was missing. That is, no SIM and no antennae to support the desired GSM bands.

The Razr has a CDMA/GSM chip in the phone.
The Qualcomm 6600 is the same chip that is found in many global phones, including the iPhone 4.
The LTE radio in the Razr and Bionic are by Motorola.

If they are selling a single product worldwide, and I see no reason why they wouldn't; the firmware to drive the GSM functionality may be left out of the Verizon version of the phone.

Just because the hardware is there does not mean the software is.

The iPhone 4 was different.
It *WAS* a CDMA phone with a radio that supported GSM. The whole GSM infrastructure was missing. That is, no SIM and no antennae to support the desired GSM bands.

The Razr has a CDMA/GSM chip in the phone.
The Qualcomm 6600 is the same chip that is found in many global phones, including the iPhone 4.
The LTE radio in the Razr and Bionic are by Motorola.

If they are selling a single product worldwide, and I see no reason why they wouldn't; the firmware to drive the GSM functionality may be left out of the Verizon version of the phone.

Just because the hardware is there does not mean the software is.

True. So I guess the hope for some is that GSM can be enabled by some ROM or patch, providing only the software (and not say some connections!) are missing. And I guess the same for the Motorola RAZR, from the single version view, that should have a non-functional LTE radio, but I guess enabling that is less useful as it would work nowhere!

What I was sent by the 3rd Party

Hi,

Your order has been processed. Your unlocking code is:
256xxx

Instructions:

1. Switch ON your phone with an unaccepted SIM Card (a sim card that the
phone does not accept)
2. Phone should show "Enter Special or Subsidy Code"
3. You can now enter the Unlock Code we just sent you
4. Your Phone will now be unlocked

WARNING : if any of these messages appear :

- "Contact Service Provider"
- or "Tamper Alter"
- or "Wait before enter special Code"
- or "Contact Service'

It's because you or somebody else has already enter too many wrong
codes, you have to leave the phone ON with the error message displayed
and after 2hr - 8hrs the message "Enter Code Special" should re-appear.

Best regards,

The Unlock Motorola IMEI Team

All this discussion and lack of solid info just makes me believe the best course of action for me is to wait for an LTE Droid World Phone. Hopefully it will have ICS, the new radios on a single chip solution and better battery life.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

yeah as long as I can return my phone within the 14 day period and not lose my upgrade plan. lol.

All this discussion and lack of solid info just makes me believe the best course of action for me is to wait for an LTE Droid World Phone. Hopefully it will have ICS, the new radios on a single chip solution and better battery life.

Yes, not that there is a choice (unless bjorn65 has great news for us on Sunday). The alternative is a great LTE phone in the US (which the Razr may or not be, depending who you believe) and one of the many great GSM Android phones for use elsewhere. Two phones, but might turn out to be less of a compromise!

Yes, not that there is a choice (unless bjorn65 has great news for us on Sunday). The alternative is a great LTE phone in the US (which the Razr may or not be, depending who you believe) and one of the many great GSM Android phones for use elsewhere. Two phones, but might turn out to be less of a compromise!

well AT&T have global lte phones, however their lte is not in my area yet?

well AT&T have global lte phones, however their lte is not in my area yet?

AT&T is an alternative but I prefer Verizon's network in the US and I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon.

We traveled to Europe a few months ago. I called Verizon customer service and they sent me a free global phone (I only had to pay shipping). They then transferred my service to the global phone and when I got back they transferred it back. It was pretty painless and I even bought a discount package reducing the cost of the phone time for the countries we visited. It worked well and when Air France screwed up my flights it was a lifesaver to be able to call Delta in the US from Spain.

We traveled to Europe a few months ago. I called Verizon customer service and they sent me a free global phone (I only had to pay shipping). They then transferred my service to the global phone and when I got back they transferred it back. It was pretty painless and I even bought a discount package reducing the cost of the phone time for the countries we visited. It worked well and when Air France screwed up my flights it was a lifesaver to be able to call Delta in the US from Spain.

Yes, that's a reasonable program if you don't use the phone (calls or data) a lot. The plan cost is much more expensive than using local SIMs, but for short duration low-usage trips, it is very convenient.

I'm assuming you guys didn't know about this, but recent phones have always been like this. And no a dev can just unlock it I belive. You have to call Verizon and do that but they only allow one unlock per year.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

I'm assuming you guys didn't know about this, but recent phones have always been like this. And no a dev can just unlock it I belive. You have to call Verizon and do that but they only allow one unlock per year.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Recent GLOBAL phones which is the whole point of this thread (is RAZR global!). It's actually every 10 months, and in some cases, 3rd parties are able to unlock phones.

Yes, that's a reasonable program if you don't use the phone (calls or data) a lot. The plan cost is much more expensive than using local SIMs, but for short duration low-usage trips, it is very convenient.

Yeah I got a blackberry last time i was in the UK from Verizon. it was so old and outdated but did the job. plus last November it was unlimited data not now. All I want is a local micro sim in my phone and for it to work. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back