Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

I haven't yet gotten a ton of feedback. I think it was successful I really have no idea at this point.

It's time to blow this scene...

Had no idea this little project was happening. There is some very exciting stuff happening in this thread. I'd help out and test for you if I had an X. You will make the Android history books if you pull this off.

I'm not much more then PR/web techie/office manager. I didn't really put a whole lot into the kernel itself- I just cobbled the site together to give it a front end and a method of contact.

In other words sure!

We need to get some people working on drivers and such. Do we bribe them? Or do we wait for them to join us? We could have cookies ;) lol

Sent from my DROIDX

Tell them there will be punch and pie. PUNCH AND PIE!

As in punch in a bowl and pie on a table, or punches and pies thrown at their faces if they don't come willingly?

Man someone turn the pun machine off before someone dies! Lol

Sent from my DROIDX

Any updates on this? I know Alias said it was done, but he needed drivers to make it useful. I am really relying on this to work to see if I keep my DX.

Any updates on this? I know Alias said it was done, but he needed drivers to make it useful. I am really relying on this to work to see if I keep my DX.

I think I'll be keeping my X no matter what. I'm anxious for this to get rolling too. But I'll be d@m/\/ed if I get rid of an amazing phone like this because of a locked BL. That's simply ridiculous and funny.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX\\

If I recall, P3 was advertising both the D2 and the DX on twitter for TBH that were unlocked.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

The update is that it appears we have a barely tested work-around to piggyback a kernel onto the stock kernel.. but no working drivers for that piggy-backed kernel for things like the radio (phone/data), etc.

This is the type of project that I would perhaps expect a new update or breakthrough... every month or two... maybe?
And perhaps by the time quad core processor devices are shipping, it might be stable enough to run ROMs via a method such as this for daily use... but don't hold your breath.

(When I started this post, I was just going to say "Don't hold your breath".. but that doesn't give enough credit to those that have worked so hard on this.
It's an AMAZING achievement.. This might even be the key for Moto to give the community some credit that we ACTUALLY DO want open phones...
But this isn't something that will probably come into the light for the average user in the next several months, or possibly even year(s).

I think I'll be keeping my X no matter what. I'm anxious for this to get rolling too. But I'll be d@m/\/ed if I get rid of an amazing phone like this because of a locked BL. That's simply ridiculous and funny.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX\\

At one point I agreed with this statement, then I did research into what a locked bootloader actually means: no updates once the manufacturer decides they don't want to support the device. So, with Bionic coming out this year, and the rumored Droid X2 and Droid 3, later this summer, EOL has to be happening this year on the DX. The hardware is phenomenal, but the Bionic has the dual-core, which will be utilized heavily once the Xoom comes out.

In short, if the bootloader is locked, I'm getting a dual-core phone this year rather than next year. I just hope HTC makes the DInc2 dual-core.

haha i love how this guy tells it! thats so funny how they pretty much did say that. too bad motorola makes some good phones or we would do what you said. and yeah im hoping someone cracks this problem so we can tell them "nanny nanny poo poo we win you moto jerk faces, eat @#$% and die." is that allowed here?

There is also this little project that popped up. They are working on cracking the Milestone bootloader by brute force using BOINC as a platform. The dev has said they will most likely move on to other moto phones once this project has come to fruition. Yes, I know that brute forcing a 1024-bit key could theoretically take a large number of centuries...

//Tap'd on CM8's DX\\

At one point I agreed with this statement, then I did research into what a locked bootloader actually means: no updates once the manufacturer decides they don't want to support the device. So, with Bionic coming out this year, and the rumored Droid X2 and Droid 3, later this summer, EOL has to be happening this year on the DX. The hardware is phenomenal, but the Bionic has the dual-core, which will be utilized heavily once the Xoom comes out.

In short, if the bootloader is locked, I'm getting a dual-core phone this year rather than next year. I just hope HTC makes the DInc2 dual-core.

Well unlike you I don't want any of Verizon's updates. Nothing but headaches

come with them. So them not supporting the device update wise would be great!

I plan on getting the Bionic the second it comes out. I hope they do an early release

the night before like they did with the Shadow. But I will continue to use my DX also.

Back