Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

Ok... time for the break to be over, it's get back to work time!

:)

Have you got this working?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

IT WORKS, AS IN WE CAN THEORETICALLY FLASH CUSTOM ROM'S/KERNALS, but it is NOT FOR USER USE YET, because the drivers to get the radio's working doesn't function yet.

This is progress and that is good news... I am on the edge of my seat waiting for this to go through... I wish I could be of more help..

Anyone can help me. If you really want to help just put your mind to it and go for it.

It's time to blow this scene...

Anyone can help me. If you really want to help just put your mind to it and go for it.

Not trying to be a smart@$$.. but at this point, wouldn't the best help you could get be source code for the drivers for the Moto kernel module for the radio ... ?

I may have missed it, but with the kexec method, what drivers/modules are missing for the X.. as in, is there a list of missing functionality?

Pretty much everything except getting it booted with a new kernel and adb aren't working. I could have configured the kernel wrong though.

Which kernel are you booting with kexec?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I booting up 2.6.37 with Preemption enabled

It's the same kernel that my computer runs. I use it because I know it works and emerge made it easy to cross-compile it. It doesn't have Android's patches so it won't run very smoothly, but it does the job well enough for testing. Eventually I'm going to start testing with Cyanogenmod's kernel, prolly somewhere after the third release depending on stability.

It's the same kernel that my computer runs. I use it because I know it works and emerge made it easy to cross-compile it. It doesn't have Android's patches so it won't run very smoothly, but it does the job well enough for testing. Eventually I'm going to start testing with Cyanogenmod's kernel, prolly somewhere after the third release depending on stability.

Forgive my uneducated question.

Is running Cyanogens kernel actually within close reach? And if you were able to run his kernel does that mean you've cracked this nut? How close are you really to running his kernel?

I have another uneducated question!
If you are able to boot with the cyanogen kernel, you do still need drivers, right? Or would you just have to modify cyanogen drivers to work with the X? Forgive my stupidity, I come from making WinMo roms and never really had to deal with drivers :)

Well in theory you can boot any kernel with kexec, not just Linux ones, so it should run cyanogen's fine. With the drivers thing, I have no idea how to make them. I've been looking for someone for a while to help me with it, but no one has offered.

"No one has offered"

You have got to be kidding me. Why isn't there anyone working with you? Or do they just feel this won't work? What is Koush's opinion on this project?

Back