Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

Have you got this working?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

IT WORKS, AS IN WE CAN THEORETICALLY FLASH CUSTOM ROM'S/KERNALS, but it is NOT FOR USER USE YET, because the drivers to get the radio's working doesn't function yet.
:woot:

:woot:

Quick update guys: I'm going to be releasing the second release of kexec on Feb. 15. I really need some testers and developers to help me work on this.

I would love to help but I don't have a DroidX....I have used kexec (@aliasxerog in gentoo forums I'm AutoBot for reference to my linux knowledge, my linux use goes back a few years :) ) and can translate kernel patches.

I would love to help but I don't have a DroidX....I have used kexec (@aliasxerog in gentoo forums I'm AutoBot for reference to my linux knowledge, my linux use goes back a few years :) ) and can translate kernel patches.

Hell, any help would be lovely right now. Plus I'm working on porting it to other phones and having devs with the actual phone for testing.

EDIT: If you do want to help, I set up a cross-compiler using crossdev. I highly recommend doing it in a stage3 chroot because crossdev can really mangle your system.

alias;

Dumb question, probably asked before, but are you posting about this over on the Droid X forum? You might get more offers to help over there if you aren't. :)

Hell, any help would be lovely right now. Plus I'm working on porting it to other phones and having devs with the actual phone for testing.

EDIT: If you do want to help, I set up a cross-compiler using crossdev. I highly recommend doing it in a stage3 chroot because crossdev can really mangle your system.

I'm just not that interested in working on devices that I can't see the results of the work, I'm sure you can understand that. I'm very detail oriented, I have to test things before letting others see or try it. It's like primping for a date (I lack any proper euphemism).

I'm not leaving the Droid scene until it dies, or I do...so I will be around for any Droid testing you need done. I would definitely not try to port the 2.6.37 kernel, I would start with current 2.2 DroidX kernel (not sure of the version) to make certain the drivers will re-initialize upon kexec before getting too far into your project.

In my dealing with kexec on the Droid I have came to the conclusion that re-initializing the GUI is going to be difficult, I wasn't doing any debugging over USB either so I can't say how difficult.

alias;

Dumb question, probably asked before, but are you posting about this over on the Droid X forum? You might get more offers to help over there if you aren't. :)

I've thought about it, but I don't think I can monitor multiple post though.

alias;

I've thought about it, but I don't think I can monitor multiple post though.

youre gonna find a lot more DX users over there. might be worth it...

I'm just not that interested in working on devices that I can't see the results of the work, I'm sure you can understand that. I'm very detail oriented, I have to test things before letting others see or try it. It's like primping for a date (I lack any proper euphemism).

I'm not leaving the Droid scene until it dies, or I do...so I will be around for any Droid testing you need done. I would definitely not try to port the 2.6.37 kernel, I would start with current 2.2 DroidX kernel (not sure of the version) to make certain the drivers will re-initialize upon kexec before getting too far into your project.

In my dealing with kexec on the Droid I have came to the conclusion that re-initializing the GUI is going to be difficult, I wasn't doing any debugging over USB either so I can't say how difficult.

This idea makes a lot of sense to me. Kexec boot current moto kernel to see if the current drivers work. Then we have proof that Kexec is a viable is a viable solution.

sent from my dx running rubix or liberty

Ive been keeping folks update on droidxforums and androidforums. Already on the pr ball ;-)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

So motorola didn't release the source code to their driver modules i take it?

They never release the proprietary wifi/radio drivers, not just Motorola but all manufacturers.

They never release the proprietary wifi/radio drivers, not just Motorola but all manufacturers.
Heh. That's right. I guess it would be too easy otherwise.

Back