If you could only have/recommend 5 APPS ?

Handcent is a MUST have app......

Great SMS support and it willl auto split your messages after 160 characters and send them simultaneously.

you know the droid does that automatically... up to 3 simultaneous messages, then it changes into a multimedia message and sends it all at once as one message.

To make this legal here's my top ten so far (still doing demos to find the ones I want to buy later):
Dolphin - free app
Raging Thunder - free Lite version
SNesoid - free Lite version
Shazam - free app
Barcode Scanner - free app
Ringdroid - free app
PicSay
Guitar Hero World Tour
Astro File Manager
Fingerpaint

Last edited:
A couple more to add to my favorite apps..

What the doodle - real time pictionary fun to play with all the people online

Mobi Inet - seems to have a link to everything including local news and you can save a section for your favorites

I love all the ones posted, so I'll post a few different ones

1. better keyboard - lets you customize and apply skins to the virtual keyboards. you can have a nice simple black keyboard, or an iphone rep, or even a sports team. It also has a leet keyboard option lol

2. task list - very nice and simple app that allows you to set up categories, and list events and tasks under them, and then rank them by importance. which is great, I have it setup for repairs I want to make to my car, under private I have little thing I need to do while at home, school I can rank term papers and assignments, and for work...
very helpful app

3. Android Agenda Widget - my favorite agenda app. syncs with gmail, and looks awesome. also has 3 different sizes and you can edit almost everything appearance wise

4. speed test - simple connection strength test that gives you upload and download speeds similar to the one found online, great for determining whetehr its worth it to turn on teh wifi

5. steamy window - exactly as it sounds. places steam over the home screen, and you can draw on it, and beads of water fall off. then you can blow on the screen and it reapears.

and then of course I love beautiful widgets (still haven't updated, the old HTC replica is ftw!), pandora, weather channel, etc. I was using pandahome but it was laggy so I just wsitched back to OEM today. It was great how I could edit and use various skins/themes for various settings. I had the black stock background, a fallout 3 pipboy handle, another fallout 3 skin for the icons, and then use the oem settings for everything else.

Last edited:
NewsRoom - An RSS reader for people who read fewer than 50 feeds. Nice interface which actually maintains some semblance of flavor of the source site.

Hungry! - Shopping list app. Great interface, simple to use, very well done app all around.

DroidLive - Streams ShoutCast stations. I haven't used any other clients, so can't compare, but this one works quite well.

City Caller ID - With incoming calls, this app tells you where the callers' phone was purchased.

Yelp! - Great restaurant reviews. Great app too.

thanks....

Thanks for all the suggestions, I downloaded some great apps...

Top 5:

Handcent SMS - I wasn't so sure about this app. I thought the default messaging APP was good enough for me but I tried this app because SMS messages wouldn't trigger my phone to vibrate (this didn't solve the problem either) and I immediately fell in love with this APP. Customization like no other. Won't use another messaging app ever.

Advanced Task Killer Free - Turns off APPS that are running in the background and really saves battery time. Thinking about upgrading to the full version so I can use the Auto-Kill feature.

Dolphin Browser - Tabbed internet browser. Allows you to download videos from youtube as well. This browser also allows for pinch zooming just as the iPhone does. Only problems with this browser is that google.com always starts in German (someone tell me I'm just an idiot and there is a quick fix) and double tapping doesn't zoom in (which isn't a real problem because you can just pinch zoom)

Battery Left - This app takes a few days to calibrate but takes into account how you use your phone and tells you, based off how you normally use your phone, about how much time is left on your phone before it dies. Wonderful app.

Home++ - New home screen app. Allows you to have more screens on your phone (instead of the stock 3 (up to 7)). Has a "powerstrip" at the bottom of your phone that keeps applications like Phone, Browser, Search, etc constantly at the bottom of your screen no matter what screen you are on. Total customization. Was iffy about this app just like I was with Handcent but I love it, will never go back to the stock home.

**Edit**
I have to add a 6th to my Top 5:

TuneWiki - Music player that shows you the lyrics to your song. Has a nice widget that comes with it. Also fetches album art that you do not already have. Only problems with it that I have is that the song does not pause after heaphones are unplugged

**End Edit**

Honorable Mentions:
(descriptions will be much shorter)

ProjectINF: online multiplayer shooting game
MotoTorch: Uses flash from camera as a flash light - Very nice Widget
AK Notepad - Basic notepad
Bank of America - access your BoA accounts, transfer funds
Barcode Scanner - Everyone should have it
Fandango - Movie times, trailers, it's pretty nice
FarmFrenzy - One of the more fun games I have played
Funny Jokes - Thousands upon thousands of jokes
Gem Miner - Another fun game to kill time
Shazam - "Listens" to a song and tells you what the name of the song is, artist, album, etc
ShopSavy - Has literally saved me over $100
SportsTap - All my sports in one APP? Hell yes.
WeatherBug - I bought the full version, IMO it's worth it.

I'm curious to try the ROM's but have yet to so that's why they aren't on my list. I know there is an app out there that allows you to edit your songs, such as artist name, album name, etc but I cannot find it. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Last edited:
in no particular order

pandora radio.... u put in your fav artist and it makes mixes off of it....unedited songs and shows album artwork

alice....weird name but if ur a concert person like i am, you put in all ur fav artist and it tells u where there playing and it will send you a notification when there playing in your city.. you can also add to calender, buy tickets, email, add to facebook all from your phone..check out this app!

youtube....everyone knows wut this is

shazam...listens to the song on the radio u might not know, tags it for you and gives u the artist/song info on it

ebuddy IM.... have all ur aim msn yahoo facebook myspace friends in one place to chat with

sports tap... keep up with ur fav teams while they play

abduction/labyrinth/jewels/slide puzzle..... fav games on my droid

facebook/myspace arnt apps i use because the mobile web version is far better

Last edited:
I'm sticking to the rules baby!

1) Swype
2) Handscent
3) Twidroid
4) Music Online Lite (Search and download any song free!)
5) Checkbook Basic (Quick and easy checkbook balancer. I always just kept it in my head until this little dandy.)

Here are my top 5 at the moment:

1. ebuddy IM - IM app for all clients; not all of my friends have migrated to gmail
2. Home++ w/Beautiful Widgets (new version) - I like the new look and they both have been stable on my droid.
3. Timeriffic - Set times that I would like to silence (or turn down) alarms, alerts or ringers. Perfect for turning off work email alerts at night but still have the phone ring.
4. Pure Calendar - installed this today, exactly what I have been looking for! Integrates my work, home and wife's calendar as well as my to do lists (see #5)
5. Remember the Milk w/ Astrid - For all of my to do lists (also integrates with Pure calendar!)

1) SpacePhysics ...........best game ive had on the android platform thus far!
2) Handcent ... a nice app that improves the texting experiance.
3) Imusic .. much like the app listed above called music online lite, you can download music for free.
4) Electrum Drum II... its a fun little app that lets you make your own beats. best one out there imo..
5) Phonemypc.. its like Gmote on crack! you can bring up, control and view any PC from anywere in the world as long as the PC has the softwear installed.. its great if you have kids and want to see what they do on there computers =P

For rooted users
1) Rootexplorer. a file navagation app that lets you get in to those hard to reach places
2) Matamorph.. cant say enough great things about this app! pure awsomeness if you like to custom your phones look
3) drocap2. it just takes a SS of your phones screen. best working one i think for the droid
4) Droidroothelper. much like Metamorph, it lets you customize things like your bootanimation faster then doing it through the phones files. it also is a ez way to install busybox and the latest recovery image. (a must have for all rooted phones)
5) Terminal emulator.. name says it all

Is there an app to put the phone in sleep mode?

If you just touch the power button, momentarily, it should do what you want.

Back