Is That One Text Worth Your Life... Anti Text And Drive Video

yea this *isses me off pretty good when ic people doing it...theres really nothing that makes me as mad as people texting and driving...if you wanna do it on a small road when no ones around be my guest go wrap you car around a tree "thinning the pool" as stated above but if you wanna do it going down the road in traffic with people around then you need your *** kicked IMO and this is why im saying this "thanx to all you you that voted you text and drive thats who im talking to
101_0012.jpg

wo that video really opens your eyes...

i am guilty of texting while driving...in a manual car as well to make things worse. I normally don't respond, but if I'm expecting a message or going to a destination to meet friends is when i do respond. Our phones may have speech-to-text, but that also isn't safe...the main point is we are distracted from what we're supposed to be doing, paying attention to our surroundings.

if you text and drive, please be as cautious as possible. take advantage of the speech-to-text if you absolutely have to respond, it's better to sound like a robot than crashing into something

stay safe everyone!

I also used to text and drive. I put myself up on a median once before I woke up to the risks. Also, my 12 year old daughter has just discovered text messaging. I really do have to led by example as it will only be 4 short years before she can get her learners permit.

Too much to lose by texting and driving. If something is that important then I can just pull over and arrive at my destination a few minutes later then if I hadn't.

CC

why don't people just use their discretion? i feel like this is going to end up as yet another unecessary ban.

as someone mentioned before, you shouldn't forget that changing the station on the radio can be distracting, talking on a "hands-free" device, reading a road sign... and really, even just the act of driving a car (without any other things going on around you) is pretty dangerous.

anyway, i use swype. maybe that's why it doesn't seem so dangerous.

why don't people just use their discretion? i feel like this is going to end up as yet another unecessary ban.

as someone mentioned before, you shouldn't forget that changing the station on the radio can be distracting, talking on a "hands-free" device, reading a road sign... and really, even just the act of driving a car (without any other things going on around you) is pretty dangerous.

anyway, i use swype. maybe that's why it doesn't seem so dangerous.

In my not so humble opinion driving distracted is driving distracted, regardless of the distraction. It does come down to the likelihood that a certain distraction has been proven to raise the risk to others to a level that can, and should, be mitigated in some fashion.

I have no problem with someone being stupid IF their actions will not effect anyone else. Just as everyone does have a right to choose their actions I to have a right to not be adversely impacted by those choices.

And I do recognize that there are those who will state that their right to text while they drive is just as important as my right to not be taken out by them while I drive - I mean to those who think that way it can be said that I can just choose to not drive. :) To that I would like to see how our state legislators would respond and would love to see the insurance industry respond by raising the premiums of those who text while driving.

CC

Your right stop n a car when the outcome can and will 1day effect someones life in a way....texting ans driving is not even close to changing the radio station or reading a road sign bc 9 times out of 10 you no where your radio is and you don't even look at it while your driving but when you text your eyes are off the road for a good 10-20sec and they also can't focuse looking up and down for atleast 3secs so don't tell me its as dangerous as the radio ask the lady that did that to MY truck 3 posts up that put me on my lid thank you

Tapping To Talk

A suggestion everyone - I know this topic can, and should, invoke strong emotional reactions...... can we please try and not make anything personal.

I view this thread as an opportunity to open the eyes of those who might not have thought about the impact on their actions. If I can accomplish that with just one person and save one lift from being altered irreversibly I will consider this as having been a worthwhile effort.

Making things person will only serve to harden positions and close minds that might have otherwise been open.

Just my not so humble opinion. :)

CC

i see where you're coming from, but i don't really agree that changing a station isn't as distracting as texting.

if i text and drive, i swype a word, look up to assess my surroundings, swype another, reassess my surroundings, swype my last word and then continue driving.

when i use my radio i have to extend my hand out farther from the wheel than where my hand would be if i were looking at my phone (right beside the wheel). this would increase the time it takes to get my hand back to the wheel in case of an emergency. and of course, whereas my peripheral vision would be on the road, because i hold my phone close to eye level, if i were looking at the radio my peripheral vision would become useless because my radio deck is far below the windshield. and then you've got to factor in the whole picking a station ordeal which would take much much more time than to simply swype a less-than-sentence-long text.

i think also that it may vary from person to person. i would like to believe most people have enough common sense to not distract themselves with ANYTHING at all when they're in heavy traffic on a windy road.

but yeah, this is just my opinion and i'm probably wrong.

i see where you're coming from, but i don't really agree that changing a station isn't as distracting as texting.

if i text and drive, i swype a word, look up to assess my surroundings, swype another, reassess my surroundings, swype my last word and then continue driving.

when i use my radio i have to extend my hand out farther from the wheel than where my hand would be if i were looking at my phone (right beside the wheel). this would increase the time it takes to get my hand back to the wheel in case of an emergency. and of course, whereas my peripheral vision would be on the road, because i hold my phone close to eye level, if i were looking at the radio my peripheral vision would become useless because my radio deck is far below the windshield. and then you've got to factor in the whole picking a station ordeal which would take much much more time than to simply swype a less-than-sentence-long text.

i think also that it may vary from person to person. i would like to believe most people have enough common sense to not distract themselves with ANYTHING at all when they're in heavy traffic on a windy road.

Are you honestly saying that texting is safer than changing the radio, or are you just playing devil's advocate? Because surely you don't actually believe that.

Most factory head units have big, fluffy buttons for people to push without even looking. I have 6; I can run through all 6 presets without ever taking my eyes off the road. I can very easily switch to the next set of presets without ever taking my eyes off the road. 90% of factory head units don't tell you anything useful on the LCD screen; if you set up your radio presets to your favorite stations, you don't ever need to look at the LCD screen. And finally, you're changing songs, not thinking about what you want to say to the recipient of your text. That takes virtually no mental capacity to decide... "Yes, like song" or "No, change song." You're not having to consider what you want to say, where the buttons are to say it, or trying to comprehend what the response says at 70mph.

What I don't get is why people feel the need to text at all while driving. If you're texting, obviously the person you're texting is busy (otherwise you could call them). You're driving, so I'd say you're busy too. If you're both busy, what is SO important that you need to endanger others while you text them? And if it IS that important, maybe you should stop somewhere and call / text and work out whatever it is you need to work out. And if it isn't important, texting back and forth about the hot chick in Biology while piloting a 3-4k machine travelling 70+ miles per hour is just asinine.

Are you honestly saying that texting is safer than changing the radio, or are you just playing devil's advocate? Because surely you don't actually believe that.

Most factory head units have big, fluffy buttons for people to push without even looking. I have 6; I can run through all 6 presets without ever taking my eyes off the road. I can very easily switch to the next set of presets without ever taking my eyes off the road. 90% of factory head units don't tell you anything useful on the LCD screen; if you set up your radio presets to your favorite stations, you don't ever need to look at the LCD screen. And finally, you're changing songs, not thinking about what you want to say to the recipient of your text. That takes virtually no mental capacity to decide... "Yes, like song" or "No, change song." You're not having to consider what you want to say, where the buttons are to say it, or trying to comprehend what the response says at 70mph.

What I don't get is why people feel the need to text at all while driving. If you're texting, obviously the person you're texting is busy (otherwise you could call them). You're driving, so I'd say you're busy too. If you're both busy, what is SO important that you need to endanger others while you text them? And if it IS that important, maybe you should stop somewhere and call / text and work out whatever it is you need to work out. And if it isn't important, texting back and forth about the hot chick in Biology while piloting a 3-4k machine travelling 70+ miles per hour is just asinine.

Amen my good man exactly what I was saying u don't have to look at the radio to change stations all u do is reach out and push a button and as for your texting and still seeing what's going on that's wrong as well bc you CAN'T see what's going on 50ft away while your eyes are focused at about 1-2ft to your phone just doesn't work like that your eyes focuse on whatever your looking at not everything at 1s

Tapping To Talk

wait a second... you're not saying you actually talk to people on the phone while driving?!?!?!?!?!!!1111ZOMGGGG

i'm debating the danger of texting, not the importance, or "worth", as it is stated in the thread's title. for me, i just don't see it as anything that terrible. i've texted quite a bit while driving and never come close to getting in an accident. if i know i'm in a situation where it wouldn't be a good idea to pick up my phone then i don't. i use my judgement. just like how many people do supposedly dangerous things without ever getting into any trouble... because they use their common sense and know when is a good time to stop.

i think it's important to talk about this kind of thing though. our rights are important and i would rather be convinced by others about the dangers of this than have it imposed upon me.

What I don't get is why people feel the need to text at all while driving. If you're texting, obviously the person you're texting is busy (otherwise you could call them).

You aren't around teenagers much are you? :D My experience has been that this age group actually prefers to text over talking. I don't get it either, but it is real.

CC

I know it's bad but I flashed a compcache fix while driving once.

Back