Leak Updates

Can't really charge for open source, and it's open source to encourage adoption, and once the mfr's are pumping out phones that have all these capabilities the carriers want them, but the carriers can just say no, so...

It's like having a car that can go 100 miles to the gallon on pure ethanol. If nobody is willing to sell it, you can't exactly drive it, see what I'm saying?

What you need is a dev to write a program that users can install to use their cpu's to brute force attack the bootloader encryption. One machine might take 5 years to crack it, but 5k machines working together for a few weeks could probably do the job right?

I know seti uses this technique to scan radio waves from outer space to detect alien signals, so why not have the community use it for showing moto the power of a community of nerds?

(No offense intended, its hip to be square!)

Can't really charge for open source, and it's open source to encourage adoption, and once the mfr's are pumping out phones that have all these capabilities the carriers want them, but the carriers can just say no, so...

It's like having a car that can go 100 miles to the gallon on pure ethanol. If nobody is willing to sell it, you can't exactly drive it, see what I'm saying?
but now it's adopted and highly successful. Google needs to state in their licenses that in order to use it for free, the hardware MUST a least support a plain jane vanilla OS with out interference. Call it for troubleshooting reasons.

After that, they can do what they please to add extra functionality and/or user interactions.

That's what I'm talking bout. It's like sponsoring a race car. I should at LEAST have my company Logo on the hood.
Same here. Google should stipulate that it should at very minimum facilitate use of google's build of android.

Doh forgot I cannot edit the above post here.

Sorry all but you are all missing the bigger picture here. The bootloaders from now on will be locked and they will not be broken. Devs have been trying for over a year with Milestone. Unless the key is somehow leaked which is very unlikely then Motorola now have their USA customers over a barrel as well. You cannot install leaked ROMs and you cannot install custom ROMs. welcome to our world.

+1. I was a little confused what the hoopla was about Koush's recovery. It means absolutely nothing as far as custom ROMs are concerned. The Droid X "hackers" are the exact spot that Milestone hackers are at. Which is not very far. The Milestone has had a custom recovery for a while, but no custom ROMs yet. And they're not going to break it. It's great to think "android devs are awesome!!! YAHHH!!!!" but the fact of the matter is they are not going to crack an encrypted bootloader no matter how hard they try. If they can't crack the bootloader (and they can't, and won't), then they can't change the kernel. If they can't change the kernel, then no custom ROMs. X owners will have to wait for Motorola to decide it's time to change your kernel. Koush is not going to crack a RSA2048 bit encrypted bootloader and if he does (which he won't), then we need him working for the NSA not cracking phones.

Simple as that. Koush's Clockwork thing means nothing. People are going crazy over a minor news item.

What about 2ndboot?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

What you need is a dev to write a program that users can install to use their cpu's to brute force attack the bootloader encryption. One machine might take 5 years to crack it, but 5k machines working together for a few weeks could probably do the job right?

I know seti uses this technique to scan radio waves from outer space to detect alien signals, so why not have the community use it for showing moto the power of a community of nerds?

(No offense intended, its hip to be square!)
With the size key they are using you could probably put all of the computing power on the planet to work brute forcing the key and the sun would still burn out before you finished. It is kind of difficult to grasp the immensity of the math behind dealing with these massive prime numbers. Absent someone leaking the private key, or someone discovering a flaw in the implementation that gives an opportunity to lie to the validation routine and tell it the signature validated when it didn't, I don't see this happening. I'd love to be wrong however.

Earlier someone asked something to the effect of "if the phone has to decrypt it then the key is in there somewhere right?". Maybe someone has already responded to that, but in case nobody has...

The files that are to be loaded aren't probably encrypted -- there's no point, the contents of the file aren't a secret. Just like the update.zip files aren't encrypted -- just signed. The bootloader has the "public key" for the public/private key pair (actually, probably multiple public keys). With the public key you can test a signature on a file that was done with the private key and determine if that private key actually signed it or not. This is done by producing a one way hash of the file's contents (like a SHA1 hash) and then doing "big math" on it using the private key to create the signature. The signature can't be forged. If you change the contents of the file you change the 1 way hash of the file and then the signature that's present is no longer valid because it's not a signature of the right hash.

I'm pretty sure someone already posted the public key that the "X" is using earlier in this thread. Having that key (absent about a century's worth of improvement in quantum computing) does you no good because the math is just too huge. If you've ever brute forced passwords before you know that the set of possible passwords for 3 characters (24 bits) is pretty small if you assume only the lower case letters a-z are used (17,576 possible passwords). If any ASCII value between 0 and 255 is allowed in the password, the number of possible passwords jumps to 16,777,216. If you increase that to a 8 character password (64 bits) you now have 1.84467440737096e+19 possible different passwords (that's a pretty darn big number by the way). I think they are using a 2048 bit key in the "X" (256 bytes). When I put in n=256 and r=256 into a combinations and permutations calculator the answer it gave me was "Infinity". Now of course that's not technically true, but it is a number so damn big that the sun will burn out before you try them all. :)

Anyway, hope all that helps.

Why can't u charge? GPL allows it....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

This is pretty depressing being that I've just recently joined this awesome community. And to think I only just rooted/rom'd a month ago too :(.

Bird man has had the boot loader broke for about a week.the problem is, its not easily repeated or safe to back out of at the moment.

So it's a pretty safe assumption that unless the bootloader issue is cracked anyone that has 2.2 with the 2C.7C loader is pretty much stuck where they are unless they un-root and accept future OTAs which will probably further lock down the phone?

My guess is the ultimate goal is to eliminate the use of apps that allow a free go-around for services that carriers offer paid services for such as tethering both USB and WiFi.

Bird man has had the boot loader broke for about a week.the problem is, its not easily repeated or safe to back out of at the moment.

i'm not sure thats accurate. Will hold judgement until we see the end results........

So it's a pretty safe assumption that unless the bootloader issue is cracked anyone that has 2.2 with the 2C.7C loader is pretty much stuck where they are unless they un-root and accept future OTAs which will probably further lock down the phone?

My guess is the ultimate goal is to eliminate the use of apps that allow a free go-around for services that carriers offer paid services for such as tethering both USB and WiFi.

Seeing this for the second time briings a different angle to mind........

its kind of ironic that we are the ones that brought Moto out of the depths of near mobile destruction and then to have them shut us down.. Almost makes you want to jump ship like we did with Windows Mobile. LOL!

its kind of ironic that we are the ones that brought Moto out of the depths of near mobile destruction and then to have them shut us down.. Almost makes you want to jump ship like we did with Windows Mobile. LOL!

Who is "we" who resurrected Moto?

I would venture to say that 80%(+) of the people that resurrected Motorola would think this thread was in Greek.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back