Lock Screen

Wow, a feature I've been waiting for in my converged devices for the last eight years, and everyone hates it -- lol. Just proves that everyone's needs truly are different! There definitely ought to be an option to disable, though.

The idea is there, but the execution is what is lacking. If when you pushed any button or tapped the screen the slider came up, that would make sense. Since the only way to get it to come back on is to push one specific button, it becomes a bit redundant. The iPhone has the best option where there are two timers, one for screen sleep and one to lock it down. Its getting there, but as stated, not quite there yet.

I just signed up purely to reply to this post. I also HATED the redundant system of reactivating the screen and I independently found screenmodewidget and am using it. But the BEST would be an app where touching the screen brings you to the slider screen and you slide to unlock, preferably with the screen turning off again very fast (~3 sec) if you don't unlock to save bat if it's accidentally activated. Anyone know an app for that?

I just signed up purely to reply to this post. I also HATED the redundant system of reactivating the screen and I independently found screenmodewidget and am using it. But the BEST would be an app where touching the screen brings you to the slider screen and you slide to unlock, preferably with the screen turning off again very fast (~3 sec) if you don't unlock to save bat if it's accidentally activated. Anyone know an app for that?

This, Please!

The new Android 2.0.1 update makes the lock screen timeout much faster.

Camera button waking the phone is driving me crazy

I noticed on my phone that if I hit the camera button the phone will wake up now just the same as if I had hit the top power button. (I have also accidentally awoke the screen and dialed without meaning to because of that) Can we disable the camera button from wakeing the phone unless desired?

Mine didn't used to, but I'm 99% sure somewhere along the line an app I installed enabled it. I keep my phone in my pocket, and it goes on constantly and it's killing my battery life. The widget doesn't seem to disable it either. Is there a hack out there, or does any one know any apps that turn this on I can deinstall?. I never use the camera button anyways, I'd rather not have it or remap it to something useful.

Mylock.... an app in alpha being developed, is available for download (search "mylock") in forums.
It works the same as screen mode widget, but ONLY the power button wakes the phone... the volume rocker and camera button DO NOT.

i was about to say that about mylock. i use it and it rocks. the volume rocker and camera button DO wake it up IF (and only if) you press one of the within like half a second of touching the power button to turn the screen off.. otherwise, only the power button will wake it up, and sans lock screen. i think there is a link in this thread a few pages back for it. it's not from the market, so you have to enable whatever it is on your droid that lets you load apps from somewhere other than the market, but it's all good.

i was about to say that about mylock. i use it and it rocks. the volume rocker and camera button DO wake it up IF (and only if) you press one of the within like half a second of touching the power button to turn the screen off.. otherwise, only the power button will wake it up, and sans lock screen. i think there is a link in this thread a few pages back for it. it's not from the market, so you have to enable whatever it is on your droid that lets you load apps from somewhere other than the market, but it's all good.

I noticed the same "glitch" where the camera and volume rocker can unlock the phone right after locking....

btw guys.... here's the link :)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/de...al-mylock-thread-we-dont-like-lockscreen.html

Howdy!

Sure is good to know I'm not alone in thinking the Droid "slider lock" is annoying! I think it's even beyond being a PITA! It's at LEAST a "Royal PITA!!"

I've only had my Droid about 2 weeks, and tonight I went back to the local Verizon store where I let them have it about that F*&#%ing "Lock" that makes this phone a "two handed" job. Can you believe the salesman said it was the first time he'd heard
of "this" problem!!??

It just makes it nearly impossible to answer the phone now while doing anything, such as riding a bike, walking the dogs, DRIVING THE CAR, etc. and I refuse to accept the "workaround" by using a car mount. That "may" solve the problem while driving,
but certainly doesn't while walking, running, biking, etc.

Who's the F*&#%ing IDIOT Engineer that deemed a lock as essential? It SHOULD have been made an option at most, but to make it part of the "firmware" was just plain stupid! That must have happened at a meeting at Google when they were finishing up the develpment.

It's so annoying to me that, even though this phone will do everything from making toast and wiping my butt, I'll probably be taking it back this week and getting something WITHOUT a lock on it. Something that's C O N V E N I E N T to use too!

Way to go Google... Way to go Verizon... Way to go Motorola...

you guys really "screwed the pooch" on this one! Better luck with your 3.0 !!!

You can't be serious?

It's a simple flick of your thumb to unlock the phone, if you can't deal with that(?)..download the mylock app and just use the power button to unlock it.

Although everyone is entitled to their opinion, yours is fairly poor.

Mylock.... an app in alpha being developed, is available for download (search "mylock") in forums.
It works the same as screen mode widget, but ONLY the power button wakes the phone... the volume rocker and camera button DO NOT.
Well this sounds perfect, but how do you REALLY lock it so you have to input the sliding-passcode to unlock (like if you don't plan on checking your phone for a couple hours)?

Who wants an autolock feature on a phone anyways, most annoying of things I have seen on a smart phone and this my third one..Two Blackberrys, first the curve, then the first storm. Which had a screen lock button on top. At least you had the option to do so if you wanted or not. Not like Droid, where you have too....

This is the third day of ownership and truthfully the phone is cool and somewhat annoying as well... Why can't you uninstall apps that are preloaded with phone and the autolock feature gives it a four star rating, as well as the slide out keyboard is off as well..

I use mylock and it has helped but it's a little buggy combined with screeble ... not sure if it is something I have setup with the two so I'm not complaining about the apps here ... just that it's not a perfect solution for me, I'd much prefer it to come with the choice of disabling the double locks.

I was wondering if rooting would help but I'm still a noob when it comes to rooting ... installed and rooted with sholes but unrooted cause I was not really sure of the correct settings and wanted a chance to read more before trying again.

I'm getting a little tired of this auto lock feature too. Here's the real deal; The power button on the top of the phone is rather hard to accidentally press. Even with a pocket full of stuff that shouldn't be with the phone... like keys. So why make it hard to push AND always swipe to unlock? Not to nit pick but does anybody else use their right hand for calling and find it hard to press the power button with their right index finger? Would be nice if it were in the opposite side. This really does feel like a 2 hand job. I'm with those that think this is annoying and near deal breaker.
Oh, and I can't find Mylock, mylock, my lock, or variance in the market as of today. From the sounds of it, that was what I want. Especially because it doesn't use the camera button to wake, just the harder to press power button.

Back