Lock Screen

Haven't read carefully through this whole thread but it appears that no one has mentioned "ScreenModeWidget" available in the Market. Has two options in addition to the default behavior.

() Allows the screen to shut off but pressing the power button bypasses the lock screen.

() Keeps the screen on all the time.

I've had it on my Droid for several months and though I don't use it often it appears to work as advertised.

P.S. It's free.

Haven't read carefully through this whole thread but it appears that no one has mentioned "ScreenModeWidget" available in the Market. Has two options in addition to the default behavior.

() Allows the screen to shut off but pressing the power button bypasses the lock screen.

I've had it on my Droid for several months and though I don't use it often it appears to work as advertised.

P.S. It's free.

It's been mentioned. Read back.

It's slightly quirky, but usually it changes modes by itself and all you have to do is touch the widget to set to AWAKE STAY, and it's good to go again.

For what it's worth, for those of you criticizing the poster who said the mandated lock feature is really stupid, I agree with the poster. It's a huge pain in the ass to have to undergo two actions just to view your "computer". (I don't view this as a phone anymore, even though that's one of its many functions. It's a handheld computer to me). And both are awkward.

Now that I've installed Screen Mode Widget, I love just having to hit that camera button to turn it on. That, to me, is ergonomically placed for vertical or horizontal use. The way it should be. (And no, I don't have accidental dials in my pocket. And even if I did, I'd rather have those than the lock screen. Why aren't there options?)

P.S. It's free.

It's been mentioned. Read back.

It's slightly quirky, but usually it changes modes by itself and all you have to do is touch the widget to set to AWAKE STAY, and it's good to go again.

For what it's worth, for those of you criticizing the poster who said the mandated lock feature is really stupid, I agree with the poster. It's a huge pain in the ass to have to undergo two actions just to view your "computer". (I don't view this as a phone anymore, even though that's one of its many functions. It's a handheld computer to me). And both are awkward.

Now that I've installed Screen Mode Widget, I love just having to hit that camera button to turn it on. That, to me, is ergonomically placed for vertical or horizontal use. The way it should be. (And no, I don't have accidental dials in my pocket. And even if I did, I'd rather have those than the lock screen. Why aren't there options?)

Another example of utter incompetence at Motorola. They had no competition so they let the focus group and product testing procedures slide. Thankfully developers have worked hard to correct numerous Moto gaffes. HTC and others will have their way with Motorola if this continues. I think their new scaled down device serves absolutely no purpose. They'd have better just focused on the little but very important and commonly used features. No excuse for making a screen lock mandatory.

Another example of utter incompetence at Motorola. They had no competition so they let the focus group and product testing procedures slide. Thankfully developers have worked hard to correct numerous Moto gaffes. HTC and others will have their way with Motorola if this continues. I think their new scaled down device serves absolutely no purpose. They'd have better just focused on the little but very important and commonly used features. No excuse for making a screen lock mandatory.

If you're going to start blaming companies for this, at least blame the right one. Motorola didn't implement the required lock and two-step unlock - Google did. Android doesn't straight-up support sleep without lock. Android phones all require two steps - a button push to wake up the screen, and then a slide unlock. In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a phone that didn't require at least two steps to unlock (without an app or hack to change it). My wife's Eris requires two steps to unlock it, and I find the button at the bottom front of the phone to be more awkward than the Droid's at the top.

If you want to gripe about Moto's button placement, that's fine. I personally don't have a problem with it, and don't have trouble using the phone one-handed. They didn't have room to put it on the front of the phone (like HTC usually does), and putting it on the top left would have made it inoperable when in the multimedia dock. I think they put quite a bit of effort/testing into it actually. It may not be the way you want it, but that's why there are 100's of phones on the market.

If you're going to start blaming companies for this, at least blame the right one. Motorola didn't implement the required lock and two-step unlock - Google did. Android doesn't straight-up support sleep without lock. Android phones all require two steps - a button push to wake up the screen, and then a slide unlock. In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a phone that didn't require at least two steps to unlock (without an app or hack to change it). My wife's Eris requires two steps to unlock it, and I find the button at the bottom front of the phone to be more awkward than the Droid's at the top.

If you want to gripe about Moto's button placement, that's fine. I personally don't have a problem with it, and don't have trouble using the phone one-handed. They didn't have room to put it on the front of the phone (like HTC usually does), and putting it on the top left would have made it inoperable when in the multimedia dock. I think they put quite a bit of effort/testing into it actually. It may not be the way you want it, but that's why there are 100's of phones on the market.
Fine - they both suck, especially for version 2. It's a phone first, not a search engine. :)

Fine - they both suck, especially for version 2. It's a phone first, not a search engine. :)

The logical response to that is if you don't like it, don't buy the phone. :) There are plenty of phones out there that are "phones first." :)

I disagree wholeheartedly with that. If you want just a phone, anything will do.

The Droid is a handheld computer first which happens to have a phone.

I think they will cease calling handheld devices like these "phones" --or "smartphones" -- at some point.

I disagree wholeheartedly with that. If you want just a phone, anything will do.

The Droid is a handheld computer first which happens to have a phone.

I think they will cease calling handheld devices like these "phones" --or "smartphones" -- at some point.

Well that's why I think you 1000% off base. If the Droid is a computer that happens to have a phone, then get Dell to sell them. If the Droid is supposed to be a smartphone which is a Phone with integrated contacts, calendar and an OS, then it is supposed to function as a phone FIRST... and which is why it is sold on a wireless communications provider that sells mobile phone service, e.g. Verizon, AT&T, etc. They sold me a phone... did they not? Or at least that is what they are calling the Droid.

Solution

If you read this thread and were disappointed like I was I just wanted to say that I have installed the "Screen Mode Widget Lite" from the marketplace and it works great on my Droid. I am using the DroidMod.org ROM but I doubt that makes any difference. I have it set to "Protect Volume/camera key" and those keys do not wake up the phone. Now I just press the power button to turn the screen on and do not have to also use the slider unlock. It does not seem to have messed up my search of home buttons and has been running for 2 days straight without having to reset anything. I recommend this app to solve the 2 step unlock problem.

The Droid is a computer phone, is has a procressor and ram. It may not be a laptop running windows or mac. But it is in a sense a computer. People talk on here sometimes without thinking...LOL..

But yes Droid is a computer and a phone!!!

Sometimes my lock screen will lag when being unlocked. Not sure if it's related, but the faded out wallpaper on the lockscreen also sometimes shows the origial Razr wallpaper, not the custom wallpaper I selected. Most of the time the lockscreen is smooth as butta. What gives?

Try rebooting. This is the only lag I notice with my Razr, and a quick reboot seems to be a quick fix. I will say though, this is a little concerning because the phone is brand new, and shouldn't have any issues with lag. It would be great if someone has a real solution because this is one reason I will consider exchanging for the Nexus when it releases.

or just remove it. I always hated swiping to unlock, not sure what the point of having it is to begin with.

Well.....so you don't activate Apps while it's in your pocket, etc.

Back