Moto Phone Portal - Droid to PC Media Sync(and More) via WiFi

I installed this app and it worked fine through WIFI.

Is this still a beta and not released by Motorola yet?

I'm using this with with 2 machines that are running W7 Ultimate and using IE8 as the browser (IE seems to be the only compatible browser in order to use the file manager). Works fine with both but seems very slow. I would only use this app for small file transfers it seems to run very slow on the transfers.

It seems that that WiFi connnection seems to die over time which kind of sucks. It's pretty cool and efficent to send text messages through your PC. Just not happy with having to reconnect the app to WiFi every few hours or so. Anyone know if this could be an issue with the app or the Droid timing out on the Wifi?

By default, wifi goes to "sleep" when the screen shuts off. You can change the wifi sleep policy by going into the phone settings, selecting wireless & networks, selecting wifi settings, pressing menu, pressing advanced, pressing sleep policy. 3 choices for when wifi sleeps, when screen is off, never when plugged in, never. Enjoy!

I have a better idea! :icon_eek: Why not let your phone connect to your PC/laptop via bluetooth like every other Motorola phone available? I was doing that with my old Motorola V330 many years ago. Cheap A$$ phone...

Oh yeah, and I could also headset voicedial via bluetooth as well. Guess we'll have to buy a new phone to get "advanced" features. We certainly aren't getting updates.

Last edited:
I have a better idea! :icon_eek: Why not let your phone connect to your PC/laptop via bluetooth like every other Motorola phone available? I was doing that with my old Motorola V330 many years ago. Cheap A$$ phone...

Oh yeah, and I could also headset voicedial via bluetooth as well. Guess we'll have to buy a new phone to get "advanced" features. We certainly aren't getting updates.

Unless I'm crazy, wifi file transfer is considerably faster than bt.

Well our uses differ. If I take the time to connect my phone to the computer, with or without wires, it's because I'm putting a bunch of songs on or copying a hung of pictures over. Either way (wifi or by) will work. Just depends on the amount of data. I'll agree there.

I'm trying Websharing again. --------
--------Was there an update since I posted before? The app looks slightly different.

I have only been using it as of recent and like it. No problems.
Faster than BT for sure.
Its nice to look things over and clean up any rubbish and such.

WebSharing should be fine uploading large quantities of files. I would recommend breaking them into chunks (as you did) rather than pushing 2300 files at once. This recommendation is largely based on the fact that cell phone wireless drivers/hardware and consumer-grade home wireless routers occassionally disconnect from one another. My 1st gen iPhone used to crash my previous router, and my Droid ocassionally drops off my current one.

I'd bet something bad happened when the phone was connected to your PC and couldn't read the SD card. You shouldn't need *any* driver to mount the Droid as a USB mass storage device on any computer. Just connect the USB cable, pull down the notification area, and select "USB connected". Your phone is then talking to the computer in the exact same way it would talk to a USB flash drive.

I'm trying Websharing again. Successfully copied a file from Droid to PC. One important step is I found out about the SDMount widget which is a vital additional piece of the process IMO. I'm confident this time I can get it to work. I won't have to move large amounts of files again so in case there was a timeout with the wifi connection before, probably won't happen again.

Was there an update since I posted before? The app looks slightly different.

help

how exacrtly do you install this onto your droid. little confused thanks :0

tliebeck
Just wanted to say....
NICE APP DUDE!!!! Way better transfer than that moto junk....awesome work! Paid version!

Last edited:
The paid Websharing app did not work for me. Ended up corrupting my SD card and had to reformat and phone couldn't read 90% of what the app said was uploaded. Thankfully I tried it when it was 99 cents.

I'm the dev of this product.

Do you mean WebSharing corrupted your SD card?

There should be NO WAY for this to happen, we're using the standard high-level Android Java APIs to write files. If you happen to be familiar with Java, what I'm saying here is that all of our read/write/mkdir/delete operations use the java.io.File object. The WebSharing product is 100% Java, there's no C code whatsoever. There's simply no way that I know of, even if one was deliberately malicous, to corrupt a filesystem structure using java.io.File.

Is there any chance you had the SD card mounted to a computer via USB and pulled the cable? The SD card is FAT16/32 formatted and has a significant chance of being corrupted if this happens. This is due to FAT not being a journaled filesystem. I've personally done it with FAT USB hard drives. A non-journaled file system like FAT is not structurally sound if something bad happens, e.g., a sudden disconnect during a file write operation.

Additionally we've not received any reports other than this one of corrupted files uploads. If WebSharing tried to upload data to a corrupted file system though, the files of course would likely also be corrupted.

In any case, if you don't want the product, drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'd be happy to refund your money. Edit..sorry your name in Google checkout, I actually don't have access to your e-mail address.

Hey developer thanx for posting in this forum. Would you help me troubleshoot why I cannot select multiple files for transfer in the web browser? I am confident there is some simple reason that I am overlooking.

Any/all help graciously accepted.

The paid Websharing app did not work for me. Ended up corrupting my SD card and had to reformat and phone couldn't read 90% of what the app said was uploaded. Thankfully I tried it when it was 99 cents.

I'm the dev of this product.

Do you mean WebSharing corrupted your SD card?

There should be NO WAY for this to happen, we're using the standard high-level Android Java APIs to write files. If you happen to be familiar with Java, what I'm saying here is that all of our read/write/mkdir/delete operations use the java.io.File object. The WebSharing product is 100% Java, there's no C code whatsoever. There's simply no way that I know of, even if one was deliberately malicous, to corrupt a filesystem structure using java.io.File.

Is there any chance you had the SD card mounted to a computer via USB and pulled the cable? The SD card is FAT16/32 formatted and has a significant chance of being corrupted if this happens. This is due to FAT not being a journaled filesystem. I've personally done it with FAT USB hard drives. A non-journaled file system like FAT is not structurally sound if something bad happens, e.g., a sudden disconnect during a file write operation.

Additionally we've not received any reports other than this one of corrupted files uploads. If WebSharing tried to upload data to a corrupted file system though, the files of course would likely also be corrupted.

In any case, if you don't want the product, drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'd be happy to refund your money. Edit..sorry your name in Google checkout, I actually don't have access to your e-mail address.

Hey developer thanx for posting in this forum. Would you help me troubleshoot why I cannot select multiple files for transfer in the web browser? I am confident there is some simple reason that I am overlooking.

Any/all help graciously accepted.

Duh?! Never mind. Located the setting in preferences. Thanks for a great ap!

Back