[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

Hi! First time poster...first, wanted to tell you that your directions were SO great! I'm pretty good with computers in general, but really not a techie at all...your instructions were the best I've found!

That being said...I got all the way through your steps and saw the screen you posted at the end, saying that the phone was rooted, but now my phone keeps rebooting, has a red battery (as though it's dead, although it's not), and launcher keeps force-closing. I also don't seem to have any service. Did I miss a step somewhere??? This is an original droid, which had version 2.2.3 before I did the root.

Thanks for any help you can give!!! :)

Did you use the correct sbf file?

There is a very old ese81_recovery sbf that will do exactly that to your phone.

You are going to need to boot into the bootloader and flash a stock sbf file and start over.

Sent from my rooted, safestrapped, and ROM'd XT862

+1 ^^^ this. Or you could also find a Froyo Rom, boot your phone into recovery, put it on your sdcard and then flash it.

Flawless

The wife finally consented to let me root her. I have rooted and flashed samsung phones with no issues. So, I did my reading on this one, and got to work. This one was just as painless as any Odin flash i've ever done. Now to find her a goot oc kernel, and I'll be in business.
Thank you for the clear, concise tutorial.

One issue, I seem to be having, though. The first thing I tried, after a full reboot, was to boot into recovery and make a nandroid. I has been sitting on 'attempting default nandroid backup' for about 10 minutes now, with no progress. I've never run into it taking this long on any samsung device. So, I can only assume that it's not normal. i've rebooted again, and checked to make sure that my sdcard is being read, and not corrupted. Beyond that, I'm not sure what other steps to take. Any ideas? One thing I have seen (and not being familiar with this phone, I'm not sure if it's supposed to do this), is that upon power down, I get 'safe to remove sdcard' as if it's unmounting from the system. when i check it in sprecovery, it's saying 'mount sdcard' so i know that it is on the proper mount status. Any input would be appreciated. I don't anticipate her wanting to flash a different rom or do any other tweaks, beyond installing wifi tether (the main reason she wanted to root), but I'd like to have that backup to be safe. Thanks.

Last edited:
I seem to have run into an issue that isn't listed in the FEI... When I tried to load the .sbf file, RSD Lite gave me an instant failure. I have a 64-bit Vista machine and loaded the appropriate drivers, the phone boots into bootloader fine and shows that it is connected via USB, RSD Lite shows the phone in the grid and lets me browse to the file, but as soon as I click Start it fails. The Result column shows Fail, and the Status column shows "Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. (0x7100) phone connected". I'm running Android version 2.2.2, build number FRG83G. I hope this is enough information for someone to help me out with this - I'd love to get some of those apps I don't use off my phone!
Thank you!!

this has been covered a few (10) or so times in this thread. I answered it not too long ago IIRC.

Its has something to do with the filename. Try renaming the sbf file something shorter or in a different directory.

Otherwise, I'd say somewhere about 10 pages back or so, its in this thread...

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

Thanks. I apologize for not perusing all the way through. Normally I would, but i was hoping it might be a quick fix. I'll run back through the last 10 or 15 pages and see what I run across.

I've put my thanks into this thread before, but I just replaced my old Droid with... *another* Droid and had to root the new one and get a nandroid from the old one installed.

My experiences this time were not so pleasant, though.
I had to use a Win7 machine this time and ran into issues that weren't covered in the OP (I read all the special cases)

I finally went to the CyanogenMod wiki site and followed the directions there- as well as got more recent downloads than the OP has (which solved the Win7 issues).

Installing Clockworkmod Recovery I was able to directly restore my previous CM7 backups (also based on CWM).

There's still good info here, though. Just wish the OP had more recent files in it.

- onDroid

I've put my thanks into this thread before, but I just replaced my old Droid with... *another* Droid and had to root the new one and get a nandroid from the old one installed.

My experiences this time were not so pleasant, though.
I had to use a Win7 machine this time and ran into issues that weren't covered in the OP (I read all the special cases)

I finally went to the CyanogenMod wiki site and followed the directions there- as well as got more recent downloads than the OP has (which solved the Win7 issues).

Installing Clockworkmod Recovery I was able to directly restore my previous CM7 backups (also based on CWM).

There's still good info here, though. Just wish the OP had more recent files in it.

- onDroid

Curious as to the exact nature of the issues you had... Especially since my xp system is nearing it's end of life. Was it RSD Lite that gave you problems or any of the other pieces parts?

Curious as to the exact nature of the issues you had... Especially since my xp system is nearing it's end of life. Was it RSD Lite that gave you problems or any of the other pieces parts?

Yah- getting the file's info to show up in RSD Lite was the problem. I tried simplifying the file name and moving to the root of C:, but the solution was to use a newer version of RSD Lite on the CM wiki. Also there are newer drivers available there.

- onDroid

No Problems

Just got through rooting my Moto Droid1 per your instructions :biggrin: no problems at all. I'm running Windows 7 on my machine!!!

Is that a ROM you installed or did you actually use a real windows apk or root the actual is on there?

Milestoner

hdbama, :welcome: and congrats.

drew, hdbama is just saying that they rooted their A855/Droid 1 with Windows 7 on their PC. There is no windows .apk for android that I know of.:blink:

Cannot get it to work

I have been trying for two days to get my Droid rooted. I have tried Gingerbreak, SuperOneClick root, some other method (Evan's root or something like that), and I finally stumbled upon this thread. I know it's been dead for awhile so hopefully someone will respond. The method goes perfectly up until the very end when I need to phone to open the update.zip file. I receive the following error.

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(No such file or directory)
E: Can't mount SDCARD.update.zip
Installation aborted

I am sure that the SD card is mounted (or unmounted, I can't remember which it's supposed to be at the moment) and I even tried it the other way just to be sure. USB debugging is on. (And I also tried it off just to be sure)

I have tried battery pulling, SD card pulling, multiple restarts. I have even Factory reset my phone and reformatted my SD card and started over from the beginning and still receive the same error. I cannot figure out what I have done wrong.

If this same problem was posted previously, I apologize, but after four hours of frustration, I did not feel like rummaging through almost 200 pages of replies. If anyone out there has a slightest clue, please, help a fellow droidian out. :frown:

EDIT: I was kind of happy to realize this thread actually hasn't been dead for awhile. Still hoping someone can help.

Its been a long time. I'll have to peruse the thread.

Give me a few.

It is an issue with the SDcard.

Reseating it, or using another card, or coping all the data off of that card and formatting it then copying the update file back on and trying it then.

Back