Teacher had a panic attack with MY DROID in her hand

Egads, thank God I'm not in school now and don't have kids in school. I mean...based on the post a few back - how could we have survived in the 70s without constant communication about what we were going to do after school?!?!?!?! Way back in the day, after-school activities were scheduled and parents knew where there kids would be *shock*.

Maybe I was the only one, as implied by others, but I was there in high school and college, to learn. I may have doodled some (OK, fell asleep during some college chemistry courses) but I recognized that I needed to absorb what was being taught in order to graduate.

We did have scientific calculators in advanced math in high school and statistics in college, and those were pretty much required.

Other than that, this thread got so ugly at times, that I nearly didn't finish it to get to my point. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Egads, thank God I'm not in school now and don't have kids in school. I mean...based on the post a few back - how could we have survived in the 70s without constant communication about what we were going to do after school?!?!?!?! Way back in the day, after-school activities were scheduled and parents knew where there kids would be *shock*.

Maybe I was the only one, as implied by others, but I was there in high school and college, to learn. I may have doodled some (OK, fell asleep during some college chemistry courses) but I recognized that I needed to absorb what was being taught in order to graduate.

We did have scientific calculators in advanced math in high school and statistics in college, and those were pretty much required.

Other than that, this thread got so ugly at times, that I nearly didn't finish it to get to my point. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I dont believe he said it was required, only that whoever he was responding to didnt have texting during class. No more, no less.

You probably aren't even taking into consideration the fact that plans tend to change. I for one know a good chunk of my plans usually fall apart at the last minute. Its nice to be able to have that ability to change things that fast, But i digress, this is not my point.

You miss our point, in fact, please tell me at one point did we say we were doing this to NOT learn? Never once have I said that I support students who text during lessons, assignments, tests, or lectures.

Just a recap, I've been saying that as long as the student has no tasks left in the class to perform, or if the class is idle, (such as the teacher left the room or something) than it isnt a crime to want to see whats going on with your friends or family.

I am also omitting junior high from the list of schools this is acceptable in. I believe that a good chunk of high schoolers either know when it is acceptable to, or arent distracted by it.

Really though, the distraction thing isnt really a biggie. And its even more rediculous to say students around you are distracted by it. I for one rarely noticed classmates texting around me, and if i did, it never once distracted me from the teacher. Thats just a stupid reason pulled out of the air, with no proof attatched to it.

Like i said before, it is my personal belief that the only people that hate phones in this type of manner are conservationist-technophobes.

Ah well, the one thing i agree with you on, is that this thread IS getting ugly, I digress (again =D )

Enough with the insults......

CNN: A schoolgirl in Saudi Arabia was sentenced to 90 lashes and two months in prison for assaulting her headmistress after a confrontation over a cell phone.

Kinda puts things in perspective. You think you have it bad huh? :)

Exactly... OMG my teacher took my phone during my high school class in the best and richest country on earth, I couldnt send high tech messages for a while and was worried about my device getting broken and someone else paying ofr a new one.

This is all about maturity, which the OP obviously lacks.

If you want to make a comment like that maybe you should read all my post. Didn't I say I appologized to her? Where did I even complain about not being able to send text messages? Ok if someones swinging around your Droid you wouldn't worry about it getting broken?

Yea that post shows exactly how mature you are.

I still think the hypocrisy in this thread is so ridiculous. I'm graduating from college in May, and currently work as a cashier. The amount of people who talk on their cell phones while at the register is rather high. Do I grab their phone and pull out their battery to make a point? No. Do I hang on to it until the end of the transaction? Nope. People do rude things, no matter what age. Stop pointing fingers on one set group and stop acting like you're innocent of never doing something that someone else didn't approve of.

I still think the hypocrisy in this thread is so ridiculous. I'm graduating from college in May, and currently work as a cashier. The amount of people who talk on their cell phones while at the register is rather high. Do I grab their phone and pull out their battery to make a point? No. Do I hang on to it until the end of the transaction? Nope. People do rude things, no matter what age. Stop pointing fingers on one set group and stop acting like you're innocent of never doing something that someone else didn't approve of.

Exactly. They swear like even in school they were in class everyday always paying attention every second of the class.

O yea and @ koralyne thanks for defenfing me

School in the 70's 80's and 90's were a JOKE. No one except maybe a few teachers cared if you skipped. At my high school we had a new administration come in, and it essentially became a lock down. If you missed a day without proof of a doctor's note, instant 3 day in school suspension. Any other note was put under ridiculous scrutiny, even if the parent vouched for it on the phone or in person.

Schools being run this way aren't helping anyone, only pissing kids off and not caring about how they do. The system deserves more blame than the phones.

Schools nowadays resemble more of a prison than they do a place where kids are supposed to be taught the joys of learning. I graduated from HS back in 2003 and since texting and cell phones were still pretty new back then teachers didn't care if you texted. The stories I hear now days are just insane.

Teachers have no right to take cell phones away. If a kid wants to text during the class, what's the difference between that and spacing out? I can text my gf and learn well enough to get an A+ in a class at college. Forcing people to learn isn't the answer.

Schools nowadays resemble more of a prison than they do a place where kids are supposed to be taught the joys of learning. I graduated from HS back in 2003 and since texting and cell phones were still pretty new back then teachers didn't care if you texted. The stories I hear now days are just insane.

Teachers have no right to take cell phones away. If a kid wants to text during the class, what's the difference between that and spacing out? I can text my gf and learn well enough to get an A+ in a class at college. Forcing people to learn isn't the answer.

THANK YOU. That's exactly how I feel. Would they rather I text or talk to the people around me.

It really does depend on the school, my middle school felt more like a prison than a school but I loved high school. And teachers typically do have the right to do that, its usually in teh schools rules/handbook. Obviously they cant keep them or go nuts like the OP's teacher did though.

It really does depend on the school, my middle school felt more like a prison than a school but I loved high school. And teachers typically do have the right to do that, its usually in teh schools rules/handbook. Obviously they cant keep them or go nuts like the OP's teacher did though.

School handbooks do not hold up in a court. If it's publicly run, they cannot make you sign something you don't agree with to go to that school. Teachers have no right to take away phones without parent's consent, otherwise it's theft.

I don't feel she didn't have the right to take it, If I did I wouldn't have gave it to her, but the reason I was on it is the fact that she wouldn't usually take it. She only took it because she was upset. If I refused to give it to her she would have sent me to one of the Assistant Principals and I would have been givin a thing called ALC, just a room to sit during that period the next day. But that's another thing, why is it most school punishments require me to miss more class time. Even punishments for coming to school late or not coming to school at all. Suspending someone for missing school is the dumbest thing ever. That's another 3-5 days of no school.

Last edited:
Back