The official Droid Turbo battery life thread.

Yes that's basically true but... Bad idea on a sealed battery device .. Because if the battery falls below a safe threshold.. It won't take a charge and you would have an issue, unless you have a factory programing cable. I don't want to take the chance of killing my device..

Many people have met the white light of death with the razr devices from letting their battery drop too far. The turbo is just the next step in that family..

Ahh. ...I was not aware of that. Thanks for the added detail

Might as well chime in. I keep my brightness at about 30-35%. I have Location Services set to Battery Saver. Otherwise I leave WiFi and bluetooth on all the time. Did a lot of web surfing, listening to podcasts, several lengthy phone calls, etc.

Battery-Use3-121614.jpg

Battery-Use4-121614.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we buy expensive high powered phones so we can have BT, GPS, and all the bells and whistles? That's why I bought this phone… to get this extraordinary battery life. It pains me to read that it's necessary to shut off /disable features to get better battery life. In the meantime, can someone please tell me how too attach a screenshot to a post? Thanks!

Reactions: cr6
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we buy expensive high powered phones so we can have BT, GPS, and all the bells and whistles? That's why I bought this phone… to get this extraordinary battery life. It pains me to read that it's necessary to shut off /disable features to get better battery life. In the meantime, can someone please tell me how too attach a screenshot to a post? Thanks!
You don't have to disable those. You just can't expect to have everything running AND get the battery results of other folks who do not have them running. The fact you can get through an entire day with everything running and have battery life still left is fantastic. Try that with most other phones and you will need to plug in at some point during the day.

Doesn't moto connect give you instant connection to paired bt devices?? So you would be able to not have to be paired all the time?? I don't use it.. So idk..

I'm going too try turning off BT and see if moto connect turn it on when I get in the car (it is paired) to see if that helps.
You don't have to disable those. You just can't expect to have everything running AND get the battery results of other folks who do not have them running. The fact you can get through an entire day with everything running and have battery life still left is fantastic. Try that with most other phones and you will need to plug in at some point during the day.

But I DO have to plug in most days. I've been on for 3 hours now and I'm down too 55%. Clearly that is not going to get me through the day without plugging in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the stats I had yesterday. Awesome battery life compared to my old iPhone. BT off, GPS off (I don't use either) and brightness all the way down unless I'm outside in sunlight, then its at about 1/4 up. And some Tasker profiles that turn WiFi off when I'm not at home or on campus, and mobile data gets turned off when I sleep.
eb0ce0a0c0ac6ea965c7b38b2757c77f.jpg
55d03714963efc821df4edda95ad5d9e.jpg

Great results but I would avoid allowing the battery to get into the single digit range. There's plenty of good reason why it's red on the chart in those levels. Red is an international color to indicate STOP.

Please begin placing your phone on charge as soon after it tells you to as possible, and if it needs to carry you father into a day and your already getting low, use the boost charging feature that is called Turbo Charging (hence the phone name), to give you several hours or more of continued operation.

Last edited:
Great results bit I would avoid allowing the battery to get into the single digit range. There's plenty of good reason why it's red on the chart in those levels. Red is an international color to indicate STOP.

Please begin placing your phone on charge as soon after it tells you to as possible, and if it needs to carry you father into a day and your already getting low, use the boost charging feature that is called Turbo Charging (hence the phone name), to give you several hours or more of continued operation.
Gotcha. Battery % got lower than the 15%-20% I normally let it get to before plugging in.

Last edited:
That is fairly normal though isn't it? I've read that to accurately calibrate your battery you should run it down until it powers off once every few months. Just getting it down into the low percentages doesn't entirely recallibrate. I don't recall the source for sure, but thought it was battery university or some other reputable source.

That would be incorrect. Running the phone to zero is not advisable under any normal circumstances, and you're not calibrating the battery... The battery has no memory and is only a reservoir. It's like saying that a glass has memory and needs calibrating.

Running the battery to zero is bad for the battery's lifespan, and can also risk pushing the battery below necessary voltage thresholds causing it to become unresponsive to charging.

Instead, it's the metering and charging system that needs to be "trained" to recognize the battery levels accurately, with the battery being a moving constant.

Please everyone, try to concentrate less on running your phone for as long as you can with one charge, and more on keeping it running in the charge level range of between 30% and 70% for the greatest longevity. To calibrate, simply power the phone completely off, then plug into the charger and allow it to charge completely to 100% and saturate the battery. Then power on and use until it tells you to charge, then repeat the power off and charge a second time.

By doing that you tell train the meter to recognize what a fully charged battery looks like (voltage and amperage), and also what a depleted battery looks like. From those two end values it is then able to more accurately and iteratively calculate and report what the approximate State Of Charge (SOC) is at any given time during normal operation.

Gotcha. Battery % got lower than what the 15%-20% I normally let it get to before plugging in.
Correct. Think of your battery meter the same way you think of your car's gas gauge. You wouldn't normally try to run your car for as long as possible before adding gas lest you risk running out of gas completely and being unable to use it, possibly leading to an emergency situation that could turn ugly due to being stranded. Same holds true for the phone. What if your phone died and you got into an accident with life threatening injuries and you were unable to make a 911 call?

Lithium Ion batteries actually perform better and last longer if they receive several partial charges during their discharge cycle rather than full charges followed by complete discharges. You will add life to the battery and have more running power each day if you just "hit the pump" every once in a while and "add $30 - $40", so to speak. In other words, give it 15 minutes of charge when you reach let's say 30% - 40%.

Might as well chime in. I keep my brightness at about 30-35%. I have Location Services set to Battery Saver. Otherwise I leave WiFi and bluetooth on all the time. Did a lot of web surfing, listening to podcasts, several lengthy phone calls, etc.

View attachment 73859

View attachment 73860
That ^ there is perfect. That is the minimums and maximums you should seek under normal operation, but as said only if you really need to be away from a power source for such an extended time. If that power profile were supplemented with a couple boosts during the middle of the discharge cycle the battery would last probably at least two, if not three years till it reaches 80% of original rated capacity when fully charged.

But I DO have to plug in most days. I've been on for 3 hours now and I'm down too 55%. Clearly that is not going to get me through the day without plugging in.
If those 3 hours are all screen-on time, then that's probably about right. My Moto X could do 3.5 to 4 hours of screen-on time before it died. My Turbo can easily double that - even with its larger screen and higher resolution.

Screen time trumps all. Turning off GPS, Bluetooth, etc will make a difference in standby time, but if your screen is on all the time those things will have little effect (I keep everything running all the time, average 3 to 4 hours of screen-on time per day, and have no problem going a full day). For the way you use your phone screen brightness will have the biggest impact. Lowered brightness will increase your screen-on time.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

Last edited:

Correct. But again this is based on the expectation that the battery will last the expected life of the phone, which is now about two years. Running it dry and fully charging it every cycle will shorten that lifespan so if you're near a power source, plug in for a bit. Computers and USB ports are everywhere now. Just bring your cable and you'll add life and longevity to your phone by adding 15-30 minutes of charge through the middle of the day.

Unless you are on an expedition in the jungle (in which case you probably should have packed a fully charged portable battery pack), or are on the road using public transportation all day (and again would benefit from a small portable battery pack), you'll probably come across several power sources several times each day that are convenient and will not interrupt the flow of your day.

Last edited:
I finally used my battery down to 10% and powered off and charge my phone overnight with the turbo charger... So far it's holding up better.. By now I'd typically be at around 80% with all of the screen on time.. I'm at 93% right now.. But it could be that I'm getting a better signal than I typically do.. So.. Who's to say..

Back