The official Droid Turbo battery life thread.

ec078f187a706cce70dbab9024908d4c.jpg

6edebcb7b2a19a29adfeeca8d95f0487.jpg

b8fe15b84ee41d85c94d778a9ccae9e8.jpg

7952b580196718f2f265a46d0b6c2e3a.jpg

0d0d9944b81d9cb4abf12a16e21b0c91.jpg

c1a832683d0a56c8b12dcef22cfda5f1.jpg

d6b082293df3bfe96b7ed9daf5596274.jpg

Lol... Yeah, not bad. I'm happy with a full day's use on one charge.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's not the best I've seen but it's not too bad.

Here is the graph. I haven't touched the phone since my last post except to take the screenshot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 193
Here is the graph. I haven't touched the phone since my last post except to take the screenshot.
Ok, so what I want to focus on is the lower middle bar labeled awake. You'll notice that there are times when it is solid blue and those times will match up with the solid blue parts where screen on indicates that the display was on. Those periods are normal. What is not normal is all the scattered and solid blue which is all by itself and doesn't coincide with the screen being on. This is what is eating up your battery. Something you have installed/running is tying up the CPU and making the phone remain awake even while the screen is off.

787dc2aac8a58f72325e6df41e797277.jpg

Also, the yellow color of the signal level across almost the entire width of the graph indicates that poor signal was also a contributor.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! I uninstalled the pedometer to see if it will help. It is strange though, I had the same app on my moto X (2013) and I don't think it caused an issue on that phone (if I didn't use the phone much I could get from 6am one day to midday the next, and I haven't yet been able to do that with this one). The poor signal is typical of where I live, I'm lucky if I ever have 1 bar on 3g. In fact, that is the reason I only buy Moto phones because even with that bad signal I can make/receive phone calls. Anyway, I'll give it another few days and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Ok thanks! I uninstalled the pedometer to see if it will help. It is strange though, I had the same app on my moto X (2013) and I don't think it caused an issue on that phone (if I didn't use the phone much I could get from 6am one day to midday the next, and I haven't yet been able to do that with this one). The poor signal is typical of where I live, I'm lucky if I ever have 1 bar on 3g. In fact, that is the reason I only buy Moto phones because even with that bad signal I can make/receive phone calls. Anyway, I'll give it another few days and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Ok, so the pedometer may or may not be the cause of the battery life but removing it is a good troubleshooting option. I still think that you have other issues with the OS being kept awake.

I would recommend trying to isolate the culprit by first running the phone for a day in safe mode and see if the battery issues go away. If you get significantly greater battery life and minimal awake time, then I'd boot normally and start uninstalling apps that you don't use daily. Watch that screen for awake when the screen is off. If you find that the screen off and awake start being more hand in hand, you're on the road to success.

Something is keeping that device awake an awful lot.. Wow..

I would recommend trying to isolate the culprit by first running the phone for a day in safe mode and see if the battery issues go away. If you get significantly greater battery life and minimal awake time, then I'd boot normally and start uninstalling apps that you don't use daily. Watch that screen for awake when the screen is off. If you find that the screen off and awake start being more hand in hand, you're on the road to success.

Okay, I will do that. But forgive my ignorance, how do I run in safe mode? And what does running in safe mode mean really? Will I still be able to get my work emails? It probably isn't the pedometer, because today I have 8.5 hours off charge with 74% battery remaining. But the bar showing awake has a lot more blue on it than screen on. I also have GSam battery monitor installed, and it says Android System has used 17% of my battery so far today. Next largest user is Kernel at 8.5%.

What is safe mode and how do I use it

Safe mode will let you use all the stock applications but disables all downloaded apps. This let's the phone run stock to identify if the phone has any problems of its own.

Ok thanks so much! One last question... I just noticed there is a software update available for the phone, which I am downloading now. Could not having that update have something to do with this?

I would consider simply factory resetting the Turbo and not installing any apps and see how it runs for a day.

Ok thanks so much! One last question... I just noticed there is a software update available for the phone, which I am downloading now. Could not having that update have something to do with this?
The update when you first get the device is a battery improvement update.. As well as network stability.. Which has a hand in battery life.. Yes this update has something to do with your poor battery life..

Back