Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

3g/4g toggle

Download "Network" by Philipp Mongrow from the android market to toggle the 4g on and off.

Unfortunately I needed to plug it in so I couldn't see what happened.. but everytime I check that it seems the display is killing 60-70% of the battery. Howww is it doing this in my sleep??

60-70% but how many minutes. Display percentage is always going to be high.

Sent with my Thunderbolt via DroidForums App

I've had mine off the charger for 5 yours so far today. Done some Market downloads, some browsing, and some texting. No phone calls. I'm at 78%. Not good, but not horrible.

At least we're lucky the port is standard USB instead of some proprietary connector. I can throw the TB on my laptop or the car charger for a half hour here and there and be fine.

Going hiking or to an amusement park all day would be different. Then I would have to make an effort to conserve.

I have a small external rechargable battery pack that has a USB port that I can use to add power when needed. It is slightly smaller than the phone is. Fits nicely in my back pocket. So even on days when I hike I have some extra juice. When I do an alpine hike (usually a whole week) I can manage my battery use by turning the phone off except when needed. I have made my Droid (OG) last a whole week that way.

I can certianly live with this thing.

Nate

Over the last two days my battery has become great. No joke.

Yesterday I went 18 hours and believe me, I was using the phone a lot. I was on LTE from about 5:45 AM to 6:00 PM at which point i switched to WiFi (at home). When I finally went to charge for the night, still had over 25%.

Today is looking even better. Below are the current specs, but please note today I'm working from home and am on WiFi all day.

Unplugged: 6:45 AM (or just after). Currently 1:00 PM.

Usage: I've been browsing this forum (way more than I should be) very frequently. I've also sent about a dozen emails, maybe 8 or 10 sms, a couple of phone calls totalling maybe 15-20 mins talk time. Some web browsing, and also some angry birds gaming while on smoke breaks.

Settings: GPS is off (i only use it when driving, which isn't today). WiFi is On, Data Sync is On. VZW location services are On. Brightness is down at about 22%, it's cloudy here and that's working both indoors and out.

Current State: 9 out of 10 bars on battery.

My battery is fine when connected to WiFi. When connected to 4G, well that's a different story. Unfortunately my schools WiFi is god awful so once I'm off spring break I'm going to have to figure something out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

i've been able to get about 14 hours with 2 hours of screen use since i got the phone. that's with constant 4G. it is obvious though that the percentage meter is constantly calibrating based on the usage and the actual voltage of the battery. since i got the phone, i have been watching what percentages corresponds to actual voltages and i have found this varied quite a bit during this "learning" process.

this chart is from my RC airplane hobby. it shows the typical discharge curve of lithium ion/polymer batteries.

By cell
4.00V--84%
3.96---77%
3.93---70%
3.90---63%
3.86---56%
3.83---48%
3.80---43%
3.76---35%
3.73---27%
3.70---21%
3.67---14%

the more i use the phone, the more the voltages and percentages fit that chart.

Mine only lasted about 13 hours through regular usage and about 10-15 minutes of Angry Birds.

I tried following the guidelines in the other thread about saving battery, but I must be missing something...

I don't think it's that bad but my D1 was pretty bad, but I would hate to be at a place i cant charge for a full day.
I will let you know after we go to the lake this weekend, service not great to begin with and usually have to go 8-10 hours without a place to charge

Battery is fair, as to be expected from such a small cell if you're using your phone for business, e.g. emails regularly through the day, several phone calls, etc.

Putting it to the final test today but not reaching 3 hours of 4G usage. Will put it through video tests tonight to determine the real expected usage numbers. Think Droid Incredible with Froyo 2.1 - make sure a charger is handy every day, will get you to and from places for a few hours.

Same here for better battery life as time goes on. Still at 100% even after 2 hours and light to medium texting.

If you're still at 100% after 2 hours and after use then something is wrong with your metering.

Took mine off charger 7am this morning. By 1045 i was at 39% battery when i got to the verizon store. I did however use the phone quite a bit in that period of time. Those that are reporting 18 hours with heavy use must not know what heavy use is. I'm running a few widgets, but i have them set to update every 3 hours. Right now i'm trying that charge method out and will report back later.

1 thing i will say is. If you're not going to be next to a charger for any long period of time, you best shut everything down, and keep that thing in your pocket for emergency phone calls only :)

Ok...I had Ultimate Juice on my Droid X and it did a GREAT job extending the battery life. I installed Ultimate Juice on my Thunderbolt....but everytime I I go to do something after turning Ultimate Juice on, it tells me Ultimate Juice has been disabled. Is this a common problem? I would prefer to stick with a program I know unless anyone knows of one that is better.

As for overall battery life, I have turned of my 4G service (no 4G in my market yet), turned down the screen brightness, only use GPS when I need to, turn WiFi off when I don't have WiFi coverage...and when I am done using the phone at that time, I also lock the screen by pressing the power button on top. I unplugged my phone at 5:10am this morning. It is 2:50pm now and I am at 38%. Considering the very heavy use I had this morning between 6a and 8a, I am pretty happy about that. I do realize that with heavy use, I will need a car charger (which I have). I am also going to be getting a charger for my office (my phone doubles as a pager and I often formard my office phone to my cell when I am bouncing between meetings).

If I can get 10-12 hours daily with this phone, I will be ok with that. I do believe if I can get Ultimate Juice or one of the other programs up and running I will be able to get 11-14 hours easy. And the more I tone down the fancy new features as they become old, I don't doubt that my battery time will increase. As a friend of mine who works with electronics said...We are basically carrying around a small laptop computer in our hands. We can't expect them to run forever without a good charge.

Took mine off charger 7am this morning. By 1045 i was at 39% battery when i got to the verizon store. I did however use the phone quite a bit in that period of time. Those that are reporting 18 hours with heavy use must not know what heavy use is. I'm running a few widgets but i have them set to update every 3 hours. Right now i'm trying that charge method out and will report back later.

1 thing i will say is. If you're not going to be next to a charger for any long period of time you best shut everything down and keep that thing in your pocket for emergency phone calls only :)

Agree 100%. Battery life is not good enough if you're a business person using the phone for an average day. This is more like a "teaser" battery for people with light use and it doesn't get close to the advertised use and talk times - not close.

If you use the phone for 3G: Expect times close to the Incredible
If you use the phone for 4G: Expect half the 3G time
Talk time: Noticeably better on the Incredible, usable but you very close to barely making it through the day if you're using a business email account and checking every 5-10 minutes along with some light web browsing. Cannot be used to play music during your commute without a charge during the day.

Same here for better battery life as time goes on. Still at 100% even after 2 hours and light to medium texting.

If you're still at 100% after 2 hours and after use then something is wrong with your metering.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. The percentage indicator is complete ****. I'm using the HTC battery widget. The first few days I got the phone after 1 hour I'd be at 80% or so. Now, after I bump charged it, it's staying at 100% a lot longer. I'm going to quit looking at the battery and just keep charging it when I can. I'm getting about 10-11 hours of use with medium use.

Back