Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

I been playing MP3s since 7:15am, its now 12:03..

had some txts.. browsed one site and dowloaded and installed two apps..

few emails coming in..

im on the LTE network..

GPS off.. im at the office.

i have 70% battery left. If you have an INC, the battery is similar imo.. I dont transition much to 3g.. my area is covered.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. Battery life is not good enough if you're a business person using the phone for an average day. This is more like a "teaser" battery for people with light use and it doesn't get close to the advertised use and talk times - not close.

If you use the phone for 3G: Expect times close to the Incredible
If you use the phone for 4G: Expect half the 3G time
Talk time: Noticeably better on the Incredible, usable but you very close to barely making it through the day if you're using a business email account and checking every 5-10 minutes along with some light web browsing. Cannot be used to play music during your commute without a charge during the day.

I'm not disputing this has been your experience, but I have had a difference experience and am using LTE regularly (just not today, work from home tuesdays). The times i've seen you report are very different from what I experience, so much so that I'd think we had different phones. Yesterday I got 18 hours and didn't skimp on usage, 11 of which was LTE...hardly put the thing down...and had about 25% when I turned in to charge it and sleep.

I bought a slim extended from Siedio and I'm currently on over 24 hours unplugged with moderate usage (few long phone calls), some 4g, texting, a lot of gaming. I am at 13% with 3 hours left (depending on usage). Pretty nice. Hope it stays this way. :)

Same here for better battery life as time goes on. Still at 100% even after 2 hours and light to medium texting.

If you're still at 100% after 2 hours and after use then something is wrong with your metering.

Mine just went over 2hrs at 100% with very little use but I let it charge a couple hours after full

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I have question, I'm in a 3G area, would it help disabling 4G? Even though im in 3G, is my TB still searching for 4G?

I am in a 3G area only as well, and I have not noticed it trying to search for an LTE signal at all (and I assume that if it was, I would be experiencing more battery drain than I am). I'm sure that the TB has a tolerance level for automatic network detection, and when the 4G signal falls below that level it discontinues searching/trying to connect to 4G. Thus, I don't think using the method outlined in other threads would do anything more to help us conserve battery life. However, people in mixed 3G/4G areas (or who commute to/from them) might be experiencing some issues though and should consider it.

I have question, I'm in a 3G area, would it help disabling 4G? Even though im in 3G, is my TB still searching for 4G?

I am in a 3G area only as well, and I have not noticed it trying to search for an LTE signal at all (and I assume that if it was, I would be experiencing more battery drain than I am). I'm sure that the TB has a tolerance level for automatic network detection, and when the 4G signal falls below that level it discontinues searching/trying to connect to 4G. Thus, I don't think using the method outlined in other threads would do anything more to help us conserve battery life. However, people in mixed 3G/4G areas (or who commute to/from them) might be experiencing some issues though and should consider it.

Yeah that was my assumption as well. I get 10-12 hours on a charge with moderate use so I'm happy. I might try it just for the heck of it but its good to know because I do travel back and forth between 3G and 4G.

What is up with the battery???!!!

I had my thunderbolt plugged n it was at 100% n once I unplugged it after a minute the battery life went from 100% to 76%!!! N now it just keeps going down 1% by like idk 5 min. I did most of the things on the thread "tips to improve battery life on thunderbolt" or something like that. Anyone had this big of a jump of battery life???

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

I bought a slim extended from Siedio and I'm currently on over 24 hours unplugged with moderate usage (few long phone calls), some 4g, texting, a lot of gaming. I am at 13% with 3 hours left (depending on usage). Pretty nice. Hope it stays this way. :)

The huge disparity between some of these reports makes me wonder if there is a tolerance issue on the batteries themselves. My first day was rocky, but has been getting better ever since.

The slim extended is the 1600mAh one right? I think I saw that on amazon for just over $40, not too shabby if it does as good as you saw!

Sounds like a defective battery to me or device. There is no way the battery should go from 100% to 76% in a minute. Have you had this device for a couple days? Or did you just get it and its doing this?

With all these battery issues I am glad I decided to pass on the TB... Definably not read fro Prime Time.

I got 15 hours out of my phone yesterday. Off the charger at 530am turned off WiFi, gps, and 4G. Got home from work around 4pm still with about 70% turned my gps WiFi and 4G back on. While at work, minimal use; about 20 or so sms, half hour web surf. Home tons of browsing angry birds sms etc. I love this phone.

sent from my thunderbolt.

I barely got the phone yesterday and yesterday o did the same but it didn't go drastically down so fast. It went down to 97% n I fell asleep at around 77% n when.I woke up my phone was dead

Well last night it didn't do that drastic jump from 100% to 77% it just went down to like 97%. When I fell asleep the battery was at 76% n left the phone on all night not plugged and when I woke up the phone was dead

With all these battery issues I am glad I decided to pass on the TB... Definably not read fro Prime Time.

I've made it 20 hours with no charge, and was on 4G/LTE roughly 15 of those 20 hours... light to moderate use. I'm in the middle of a strong LTE area, so maybe that helps.

Back