Why an app for Facebook instead of browser? Looking for a GOOD FB app? Look here!

did you not say you werent affiliated with the dev in any way??

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

If you read back through this thread, you'll see where he made a post and I offered to help him beta test. He accepted and asked me to email him. Other than speaking with him online using gtalk and the new bloo chat feature regarding the testing and having the occasional chance to ask him about the issues some of you bring here, I'm still not affiliated with him. I don't have a hand in developing the app and don't know anything about the issues that facebook's api causes except when he sends me links to info on them.

Why do you ask?

oh. ok. im literally just wondering lol. i use bloo. you could be affiliated i was just saying. bloo is pretty beast. what would i have to do to beta test?

If you read back through this thread, you'll see where he made a post and I offered to help him beta test. He accepted and asked me to email him. Othe

oh. ok. im literally just wondering lol. i use bloo. you could be affiliated i was just saying. bloo is pretty beast. what would i have to do to beta test?

It's all good. Be warned though, beta testing means installing new versions almost every day sometimes which also means setting your preferences back up.

All I did was offer to help and he accepted. Worst he could do is tell you no thanks.

yeah i sent him a facebook message so we will see. thats cool though i dont mind resetting preferences. it gives me something to do since "milking the cow" is just out of the question for me now since i would have to downgrade. i used to be milked. but the ota is what i wanted

Update: Just spoke with Dimitris. He's had to work extra at his full time job, but is still trying to work on bloo as much as he can.

He saw f8 today, which is a Facebook developer's conference. Apparently, they've made a LOT of changes to the api. From those changes will come better speed, and some other cool stuff, but his main focus right now is still chat. Not sure what he might have to change in the app to utilize those changes, but they're there, so at least the api won't hold users of third-party apps back so much.

Unfortunately, facebook still doesn't allow apps to send messages, but he seems excited about the changes they've made/plan to make. These changes will also allow for a one-time prompt for users to set permissions for bloo, which will make the 6-digit code either obsolete completely, or at least considerably less of a pain. I'm not sure if that will require him to make changes in the app, or if it will happen automatically, so no promises on whether that will be included in the update.

Still no official word on the release date of chat, but he's on his way home from work now and plans to put in some time on bloo.

i just decided to download Bloo. i stopped using the stock FB app about a month after i got my droid, been using the touch website. but i really don't like the way the photos are on the site, plus i'd rather have notifications instead of emails, so i've been looking for something where notifications actually work.

the first thing i noticed when i opened up Bloo, it looks like it's "news feed" instead of "live feed". i'm going down my feed on the computer and down my feed on Bloo, and i'm only seeing like every 1 out of 5 updates. any way to switch that to live feed?

the next thing i noticed, when i click on "Check out your wall and profile" i get this message.
There are no posts in this feed or your are not friends with that person, plese try again later.
does that mean i'm not successfully logged in or something? if it's saying i'm not friends with myself?

and i also have notifications set to 1 minute intervals, and i'm going on another facebook account and commenting myself, and i wait like 10 minutes, and nothing. no notifications.

from what i read in lots of posts, and then finding this post, Bloo is supposed to be one of the best FB apps out there. what am i doing wrong?

***EDIT***
after doing all of the following.... 3 wall posts, a friend request, a poke, a private message, and a tagged photo, i received a notification THROUGH Bloo for the tagged photo. none of the other stuff.

and i wasn't even doing it to test notifications anymore. i kinda gave up on getting it to work, and was only doing all this stuff cause i realized when facebook texts you notifications, it comes from all different numbers, so i'm trying to store all the numbers under one name.

***DOUBLE EDIT***
after doing pretty much everything i could do to my account from another account, the only notifications i received were when i liked my status, commented on my status, commented on my phto, and tagged a photo of me. wall posts, commenting on a wall post, pokes, messages, friend requests, none of that got me notifications. is there something i'm doing wrong? i like the speed the notifications i AM getting are coming at, so i'm willing to give it a chance if i can get the rest working.

Last edited:
i just decided to download Bloo. i stopped using the stock FB app about a month after i got my droid, been using the touch website. but i really don't like the way the photos are on the site, plus i'd rather have notifications instead of emails, so i've been looking for something where notifications actually work.

the first thing i noticed when i opened up Bloo, it looks like it's "news feed" instead of "live feed". i'm going down my feed on the computer and down my feed on Bloo, and i'm only seeing like every 1 out of 5 updates. any way to switch that to live feed?

the next thing i noticed, when i click on "Check out your wall and profile" i get this message.
There are no posts in this feed or your are not friends with that person, plese try again later.
does that mean i'm not successfully logged in or something? if it's saying i'm not friends with myself?

and i also have notifications set to 1 minute intervals, and i'm going on another facebook account and commenting myself, and i wait like 10 minutes, and nothing. no notifications.

from what i read in lots of posts, and then finding this post, Bloo is supposed to be one of the best FB apps out there. what am i doing wrong?

***EDIT***
after doing all of the following.... 3 wall posts, a friend request, a poke, a private message, and a tagged photo, i received a notification THROUGH Bloo for the tagged photo. none of the other stuff.

and i wasn't even doing it to test notifications anymore. i kinda gave up on getting it to work, and was only doing all this stuff cause i realized when facebook texts you notifications, it comes from all different numbers, so i'm trying to store all the numbers under one name.

***DOUBLE EDIT***
after doing pretty much everything i could do to my account from another account, the only notifications i received were when i liked my status, commented on my status, commented on my phto, and tagged a photo of me. wall posts, commenting on a wall post, pokes, messages, friend requests, none of that got me notifications. is there something i'm doing wrong? i like the speed the notifications i AM getting are coming at, so i'm willing to give it a chance if i can get the rest working.

I have the same exact issues. Just like the native FB app.. I have given up on Bloo until the developer updates it. I have mentioned it a few times in the thread about notifications, but it seems like it works for some people. I have tried contacting the Dev too.

the first thing i noticed when i opened up Bloo, it looks like it's "news feed" instead of "live feed". i'm going down my feed on the computer and down my feed on Bloo, and i'm only seeing like every 1 out of 5 updates. any way to switch that to live feed? Bloo IS the live feed, but it won't show everything. Because of the way that Facebook's API (the interface for apps, especially third-party apps) is setup, it can't access posts by your fan pages and some other things. What it DOES do is give you status updates and SOME other stuff.

does that mean i'm not successfully logged in or something? if it's saying i'm not friends with myself? This is, again, an issue with Facebook changing how something is setup with app permissions. If you go to the dev's site http://fbandroid.wordpress.com/ you can click on a link to enable another permission that should fix the issue. In the post that you'll find the link to enable that permission, he states that he's working on a fix for the next update.

and i also have notifications set to 1 minute intervals, and i'm going on another facebook account and commenting myself, and i wait like 10 minutes, and nothing. no notifications. This MIGHT be because of the new permission not being enabled, and it might also be because of how long you've had bloo authorized. Sometimes, it takes Facebook a while to realize that you've allowed bloo access to your notifications.

***EDIT***

***DOUBLE EDIT***

With bloo, I receive notifications on status likes/comments, comments on wall posts that I've created or commented on/liked, comments on pictures I've liked/commented/am tagged in.

Because of Facebook's strict setup, you won't get notifications through bloo of inbox messages (thanks to Facebook, bloo can let you READ inbox messages, but not reply/create new), friend requests, or pokes (do they actually still HAVE pokes...? Haha!)

Anyway...At this time, thanks to Facebook, I let the stock app refresh itself only every few hours. That way, I get notifications about friend requests and inbox messages. I figure, since the app can't be uninstalled (without root, of course) I might as well let it handle a few little things (that Facebook won't allow third-party apps to handle).

In any case, I hope this will help you out at least a little bit. I honestly hardly EVER log in to Facebook from my computer anymore, but your usage might be different from mine. I strictly use fb to keep in touch with people via status updates, comments, and things like that, so bloo is great for me. As for notifications, I've said it before, but I get them very quickly. I regularly hold near real-time conversations with some friends back home via comments on one of our statuses.

Bottom line, enable that extra permission, and give Facebook's servers some time to pull their heads out of their digital a##es and allow bloo to do what you've authorized.

Last edited:

the first thing i noticed when i opened up Bloo, it looks like it's "news feed" instead of "live feed". i'm going down my feed on the computer and down my feed on Bloo, and i'm only seeing like every 1 out of 5 updates. any way to switch that to live feed? Bloo IS the live feed, but it won't show everything. Because of the way that Facebook's API (the interface for apps, especially third-party apps) is setup, it can't access posts by your fan pages and some other things. What it DOES do is give you status updates and SOME other stuff.

does that mean i'm not successfully logged in or something? if it's saying i'm not friends with myself? This is, again, an issue with Facebook changing how something is setup with app permissions. If you go to the dev's site Bloo – The Android Facebook App you can click on a link to enable another permission that should fix the issue. In the post that you'll find the link to enable that permission, he states that he's working on a fix for the next update.

and i also have notifications set to 1 minute intervals, and i'm going on another facebook account and commenting myself, and i wait like 10 minutes, and nothing. no notifications. This MIGHT be because of the new permission not being enabled, and it might also be because of how long you've had bloo authorized. Sometimes, it takes Facebook a while to realize that you've allowed bloo access to your notifications.

***EDIT***

***DOUBLE EDIT***

With bloo, I receive notifications on status likes/comments, comments on wall posts that I've created or commented on/liked, comments on pictures I've liked/commented/am tagged in.

Because of Facebook's strict setup, you won't get notifications through bloo of inbox messages (thanks to Facebook, bloo can let you READ inbox messages, but not reply/create new), friend requests, or pokes (do they actually still HAVE pokes...? Haha!)

Anyway...At this time, thanks to Facebook, I let the stock app refresh itself only every few hours. That way, I get notifications about friend requests and inbox messages. I figure, since the app can't be uninstalled (without root, of course) I might as well let it handle a few little things (that Facebook won't allow third-party apps to handle).

In any case, I hope this will help you out at least a little bit. I honestly hardly EVER log in to Facebook from my computer anymore, but your usage might be different from mine. I strictly use fb to keep in touch with people via status updates, comments, and things like that, so bloo is great for me. As for notifications, I've said it before, but I get them very quickly. I regularly hold near real-time conversations with some friends back home via comments on one of our statuses.

Bottom line, enable that extra permission, and give Facebook's servers some time to pull their heads out of their digital a##es and allow bloo to do what you've authorized.

i have everything authorized, but i'm still not getting all the notifications i should be =/ i didn't know that i wouldn't get friend requests, but i'm still not getting wall comments, picture comments, etc. idk, i guess i'll just have to stick with the touch website for now. it's not so much even the notifications that bug me so much cause i can deal with the emails, it's the fact that it's not the live feed that shows.

I do not like this app. Based on my first 5 minutes using it.

1) Can't see friend's profiles (gives me error message)

2) Cannot see my own profile (gives me error message)

3) It shrinks pictures because of the bar on top

4) When displaying friends' list, it doesn't show their Avatar

Likes"

a) Status tickler stile on top.

b) Better photo album navigation

Yeah, I am another total FB geek who is underwhelmed with Bloo so far. I think it has potential. BUT, until I can know it will send ALL my notifications AND not FC every time I use it, I'll stick with the crappy native FB app for Droid.

Again, I guess it's just in how you use it. I simply use Facebook to share statuses and pictures with friends and family and keep in touch.

Not sure why you're not getting notifications, but I have heard from other devs as well as the dev of bloo that Facebook API definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

As for force closes, I've only experienced a handful in the months I've used it...

why the push?

Again, I guess it's just in how you use it. I simply use Facebook to share statuses and pictures with friends and family and keep in touch.

Not sure why you're not getting notifications, but I have heard from other devs as well as the dev of bloo that Facebook API definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

As for force closes, I've only experienced a handful in the months I've used it...

If you're using FB Only for those 2 things than you are under using facebook and the crappy native application should work just fine for you. Why endorse an application that is defective? I Appreciate your enthusiasm but you post our way too long and I doze off half way through them.

Seems like a very nice, neat app. Unfortunately, I can't view my own profile (I'm not friends with myself, haha), can't comment on my friend's posts (won't let me authorize from FB.com).

Shame, I really want something better than the native app. I have high hope for this one, though. I'll be watching it with great interest.

Back